Cruise ship in California with Coronavirus

Yesterday, we learned that a woman died in California of Coronavirus that she had or contracted on a San Francisco round trip cruise on the Grand Princess. That ship holds 3,000 passengers and 1,000 crew. Those 3,000 passengers disembarked in San Francisco and went where and on what mode of transportation?

Currently, that ship is returning to California from Hawaii but will not be permitted to dock because there are suspected cases of Coronavirus in both passengers and crew. They are on hold waiting for test kits to be flown in. 

Yesterday’s task force update did not come across as reassuring. They state that the risk is low. They acknowledged that there is a nationwide shortage of test kits and while they are working on it, there is not a projected date or time frame.

They say that there are more cases of Coronavirus (and more deaths from) that are not included in the current statistics because there aren’t test kits to document them. I knew this a couple days ago because my neighbor has symptoms and is unable to get tested, despite her best efforts.

The task force was asked about the Grand Princess and they literally did not acknowledge the question. Yes they say that they have a meeting on Saturday with Cruise line execs but when asked which ones, they did not answer.

Meanwhile, how many ships are embarking or disembarking in California? Going where and coming from where?

46 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Both the NY Times and The Guardian say the ship returned from Mexico.  But cruisemapper.com seems to confirm that you are correct: it was a 15 day San Francisco - Hawai'i - San Francisco cruise which just returned.

David,

I read that the cruise where the deceased woman was infected was a cruise to Mexico. Also, the current Hawaii Cruise was supposed to call on Ensenada on the way back to California but that port has been cancelled.

Karen

Princess Cruises has also confirmed the cancellation of the upcoming Hawaii voyage on Grand Princess Hawaii departing on March 7. All guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare, Princess Air, Princess Cruise Plus pre- and post-cruise hotel packages, prepaid shore excursions and other prepaid items purchased through Princess Cruises.

This morning, the estimate of those showing symptoms on board the Grand Princess was about 20. There is now about 100 people showing symptoms. First test results could be available tomorrow.

I see my post was deleted  from this morning. 

mmm...

Still would not want to on a cruise ship that cannot make port because of the COVID-19. 

Hope there are not lots of passengers on the Princess that are elderly with underlying medical conditions.

No one is immune from the new risk in cruising that is upon us all , regardless of which cruise  line you love.