We are confirmed for YTD, my family already said they only want to eat in the MDR twice during our cruise. What happens to our pre-paid gratuities, who gets them besides our room stewards? Should I remove the ones for the wait staff and leave cash on the table after each meal in the MDR. Just need advice.

1 hour ago, kelhag said:

We are confirmed for YTD, my family already said they only want to eat in the MDR twice during our cruise. What happens to our pre-paid gratuities, who gets them besides our room stewards? Should I remove the ones for the wait staff and leave cash on the table after each meal in the MDR. Just need advice.

Nearly wherever you eat, unless you are making your own food in your cabin, or only eating at ports, those workers get a portion of those tips.  

4 hours ago, kelhag said:

Hi

Isn't it nice how easy the cruise lines have made it for you. Just leave your gratuities in place and they have arranged to fairly distribute the money. Of course be sure to thank everyone who gives you good service. In fact is anyone gives you exceptional service that you feel deserves more, feel free to give them extra. Just a reminder, if you enjoyed your wait service in the MDR at YTD you can ask to be seated with the same wait team for each of your mealtimes. 

have a great cruise

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The tips go to the pool for wait staff, who also are at Guys, Blue Iguana, and the buffet.

Please leave them in place.

I never knew it went into a pool for everyone. The other cruises we have been on we ate in the MDR every night and I assumed our tips went just to our wait staff in the MDR. We always tipped extra on the last night.  I am sorry I assumed it worked like the American restaurants, the wait servers get paid a lower wages because they get tips and the fast food workers (guys burgers and such) get paid a more because they don't get tips.  Thank you all for enlightening me. This will teach me not to assume.

6 minutes ago, kelhag said:

I never knew it went into a pool for everyone. The other cruises we have been on we ate in the MDR every night and I assumed our tips went just to our wait staff in the MDR. We always tipped extra on the last night.  I am sorry I assumed it worked like the American restaurants, the wait servers get paid a lower wages because they get tips and the fast food workers (guys burgers and such) get paid a more because they don't get tips.  Thank you all for enlightening me. This will teach me not to assume.

It's important to understand that not all U.S. States have food service worker labor rates. There are 7 states that have done away with them. In California - the AVERAGE BASE salary (before tips) for a food service worker is $13.79. In San Francisco, it's $17.62. It's not uncommon for wait staff in medium to larger California cities to make north of $70,000 (with tips) per year in medium upscale restaurants and even more in top line restaurants.

16 minutes ago, kelhag said:

Your wait staff at dinner, also work breakfast, lunch and brunch shifts.  So when assigned time or ATD guest cancel their grats, they effectively cancel the grats for all four shifts for their team.  They ask for your cabin number at ATD, breakfast, brunch and lunch to allocate a portion to those specific servers.  

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Your wait staff at dinner, also work breakfast, lunch and brunch shifts.  So when assigned time or ATD guest cancel their grats, they effectively cancel the grats for all four shifts for their team.  They ask for your cabin number at ATD, breakfast, brunch and lunch to allocate a portion to those specific servers.  

Yep, I usually see my dinner MDR staff working the Lido buffet for lunch, perhaps even the MDR breakfast shift.

I keep the tips in place even though we, like you, typically don't eat in the MDR for supper every night.