No flights to / from Italy thru May 31st?

suec12

On the May 15 Zuiderdam roll call near the end is a post that seems to say HALis not using flights in (or out?) of Italy thru May 31st? We are supposed to depart Venice May 15 - so now what? It would be nice to get more info about how the cruise may move forward at the same time we are informed that evidently, we will not be departing Venice.

2 minutes ago, suec12 said:

On the May 15 Zuiderdam roll call near the end is a post that seems to say HALis not using flights in (or out?) of Italy thru May 31st? We are supposed to depart Venice May 15 - so now what? It would be nice to get more info about how the cruise may move forward at the same time we are informed that evidently, we will not be departing Venice.

Did you use HAL's Flight Ease to book your flights?  If you did, they should either notify you or whoever booked them for you.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Yes, we did use Flight Ease and do assume at some point they will be in contact but again, it would seem to me, if at this point I will not be flying into Venice, they would let me know where I will, or might! be going. I am booked at this point to arrive two days early, so I'll have to change my hotel plans.

14 minutes ago, suec12 said:

This is the message when you go into Flight Ease. Note that it says NEW bookings. I suppose that when they get things a little more settled out, everyone will be notified about the itinerary changes.

Important Message

International health authorities are closely monitoring a respiratory illness caused by the coronavirus. Effective immediately and lasting until May 31st, NEW bookings for air travel will be prevented for routings to, through or from all China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, and the Lombardy and Veneto regions in Northern Italy. This date and airport list is constantly being evaluated. Additionally, guests who have traveled from or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, or these Italian regions within the 14 days of the start of their cruise, will not be permitted to board the ship. Please consult our website, your healthcare provider and your government Travel Advisories for further information.
Edited by richwmn

richwmn ...  but who wants to fly into the middle of it if they aren’t allowing those folks onboard. I think they did this so they won’t have to change so many flights once they figure out where our cruise will go.  

1 hour ago, suec12 said:

Its still a long way out if required HAL will change the departure port .  Lets hope its under control by then and travel is not restricted by then . If it isn’t we have lots to worry about . Our flight is booked May 10 Venice to Frankfurt then home. Will not be taking that flight if the cruise ship is not going to Venice . You still have to worry about were its starting from . Spain is also a worry thats were ours begins . Would really prefer everything just goes the way its supposed to not promising right now.

May 15 is still 2 months away.  The situation may and probably will change many times before then and making a decision today might be premature for both cruisers and the cruise line.  We both need to make alternative plans, just in case, but put them aside for a while until we are closer to actual travel date.

At the speed that the virus seems to be travelling east (China - Korea - Iran - Italy ... ???) it is highly possible that travelling to Italy in mid-May might not be a problem.  As anyone thought, however, that at this speed of expansion, the virus will become much worse in America and it will be Italy that will no longer let in planes coming from America?  In May, Italy may well be very safe while America is a hot spot virus-wise. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

As anyone thought, however, that at this speed of expansion, the virus will become much worse in America and it will be Italy that will no longer let in planes coming from America?  In May, Italy may well be very safe while America is a hot spot virus-wise.

I was thinking the exact same thing 😉 

• Like 1

It will take only a few sick people to quarantine a ship.  What if you go to Venice and then the ship can’t dock.  Who is going to be responsible for any additional costs.  Even if HAL refunds the ship fare, what about indecent air and hotels.

look at what is going on off the coast of California.

FWIW, Crystal just announced that it is modifying all April & May voyages that call into Italy.

ALERT: ADVISORY UPDATE

UPDATED Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:30am EST
New Notice on Travel to Italy

Crystal is aware of the current U.S. State Department advisory to reconsider non-essential travel to Italy. As a result, the company is currently planning itinerary modifications for its April and May voyages that call into Italy.

In the meantime, we have advised new cancellation policy considerations through April 30, 2020 for our guests providing added flexibility as well as the benefit of time to help alleviate travel concerns and further assist in making informed decisions about upcoming travel plans.

We will, of course, keep our guests and travel partners updated as we finalize itinerary modifications.

4 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

It will take only a few sick people to quarantine a ship.  What if you go to Venice and then the ship can’t dock.  Who is going to be responsible for any additional costs.  Even if HAL refunds the ship fare, what about indecent air and hotels.

look at what is going on off the coast of California.

I’m covered with my travel insurance.  I checked and yes, I recorded the call.  They do so why shouldn’t I?

Interesting note on the Crystal cancellation policy is that the new policy is not retroactive.  Anyone who cancelled before March 4, lost their money according to the standard cancellation policy.  Also, their policy does not cover airfare.

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

FWIW, Crystal just announced that it is modifying all April & May voyages that call into Italy.

ALERT: ADVISORY UPDATE

UPDATED Thursday, March 5, 2020 10:30am EST
New Notice on Travel to Italy

Crystal is aware of the current U.S. State Department advisory to reconsider non-essential travel to Italy. As a result, the company is currently planning itinerary modifications for its April and May voyages that call into Italy.

In the meantime, we have advised new cancellation policy considerations through April 30, 2020 for our guests providing added flexibility as well as the benefit of time to help alleviate travel concerns and further assist in making informed decisions about upcoming travel plans.

We will, of course, keep our guests and travel partners updated as we finalize itinerary modifications.