Cruising soon? What EXTRA things are you packing?

MaryBethV

On 3/5/2020 at 10:08 AM, Yehootu said:

We usually went on cruises with my Mom who had a compromised immune system so we always carried Lysol, hospital grade antibacterial hand sanitizer and wipes. My wife acted fast, first time i agreed with her Reddit obsession, and got masks (good ones) and more hand sanitizer. We added gloves,flu and imodium meds to our cabin bag. If flying, don't forget to wipe down your tray table and armrests as well as pre stay hotel rooms.

We are on B2B and hope after whats going on on the Grand, we don't get kicked off after first leg. As stated in previous posts, thank goodness for Princess Platinum insurance. We can wait till last minute and bail if needed.

Ex F/A here......wipe down your seatbelt and your seat back pocket as best you can. Sitting at a window seat? That as well!

1 hour ago, floridafish said:

You people are nuts going on a cruise at this time. I'm a big fan of cruising but the thought of missing ports or being stuck at sea is crazy.

Exactly the helpful kind of post this thread was started for! Thank you! 🙄

33 minutes ago, Lisa B. said:

Ex F/A here......wipe down your seatbelt and your seat back pocket as best you can. Sitting at a window seat? That as well!

YES - everything within reach on the plane gets wiped down! Even arm rests when sitting in the airport waiting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have had issues with this in the past. My prescriptions don't all run out at the same time even though I take them all every day. I have tried to get them all on the same schedule - Walgreens has called me several times to ask if I want to do so - but it has never happened. I can't always be certain of having an extra 2 weeks of meds available. It makes me crazy. Every time we go on vacation - which is at least twice a year - I have to deal with this stupidity.

I studied abroad for 6 months and brought all my meds with me from the start. All you have to do is talk to your doctor and explain why you need the extra two weeks and they should write you a script for two weeks worth. If you cant afford to pay for them out of pocket, call your insurance company and do the same with them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smiles109 said:

I studied abroad for 6 months and brought all my meds with me from the start. All you have to do is talk to your doctor and explain why you need the extra two weeks and they should write you a script for two weeks worth. If you cant afford to pay for them out of pocket, call your insurance company and do the same with them. 

I never pay "out of pocket". When the tag says something like $289 for a single item and the register says $5 I am happy. The only time it goes up is for a couple of items - freaking Potassium if you can believe that - that cost me $10 for 90 days. The prescriptions are all for 90 days. I just wish I could get them aligned to the same 90 days. (Actually one is only for 30 days but that is something that is difficult to adjust. I have to request a "vacation override" for that one when I travel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smiles109 said:

Won't work for controlled substances. 

8 hours ago, Lisa B. said:

40yr airline pilot with ex-F/A wife. Been in airborne aluminum petrie dish along time! 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:39 PM, disneyochem said:

Just went to the Dollar Tree this morning.  They had digital thermometers for $1.  Picked up a couple to give to folks as well as put in our first aid kit.

I added a dozen or so thermometer probe covers and individual alcohol wipe packages for the digital thermometer.  Based on past world travel, we also include a few powder Pedialyte packages, a few chewable pepto bismol packages, allergy over the counter meds (e.g., Nasacort/Flonase, Zytec and Zaditor), Imodium, Neosporin, Benadryl tube and tablets, disinfectant wipes (e,g,, Clorox Healthcare wipes) and some vinyl gloves.

Edited by ReturnCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ReturnCruiser said:

allergy over the counter meds (e.g., Nasacort/Flonase, Zytec and Zaditor), 

Thank you! I had never heard of Zaditor (ketotifen). Our pine tree is clouding the house with pollen and my eyes are watering and itching like crazy -- doubly annoying when trying so hard not to touch face! Putting Zaditor on my list for next measured run to a store!

Edited by crystalspin

4 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Thank you! I had never heard of Zaditor (ketotifen). Our pine tree is clouding the house with pollen and my eyes are watering and itching like crazy -- doubly annoying when trying so hard not to touch face! Putting Zaditor on my list for next measured run to a store!

My physician told me that Zaditor could be used 2-3 times a day. I also have a prescription for Pataday, which is a stronger opthalmic antihistamine. Pataday is now (or will soon be) over the counter, as well. Generally, Zaditor works fine for me and is a terrific relief during allergy season.

• Thanks 1

We take anti-viral OTC meds available from a supplements store (E.g., Natural Factors makes a good anti-viral that we always use when travelling).  We also get a travel balm that a compounding pharmacy makes.  We apply it to our nose every two hours when flying and haven’t had any colds/flu after flying since we started to use it.  I am sorry that I can’t tell you what is in it since it is locally compounded.

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

One thing on the point of touch points... something small to push elevator buttons.. or a gloved finger??..

Cheers Don

Or a knuckle?  An elbow?  A tissue covered finger then throw away the tissue?  Cover your finger with your shirt?  Or, just don't touch your face until you wash!  Lots of other ways, just gotta get creative!!  

😉

• Like 1

18 hours ago, floridafish said:

You people are nuts going on a cruise at this time. I'm a big fan of cruising but the thought of missing ports or being stuck at sea is crazy.

I'm nuttier than a fruitcake, but its not your job to judge me. Let me be me 😜.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have had issues with this in the past. My prescriptions don't all run out at the same time even though I take them all every day. I have tried to get them all on the same schedule - Walgreens has called me several times to ask if I want to do so - but it has never happened. I can't always be certain of having an extra 2 weeks of meds available. It makes me crazy. Every time we go on vacation - which is at least twice a year - I have to deal with this stupidity.

I can get a vacation override once a year.  Try calling your insurance company.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

(Actually one is only for 30 days but that is something that is difficult to adjust. I have to request a "vacation override" for that one when I travel.

Opps, just read that you know about vacation overrides.  

We spoke to our BCBS insurance yesterday and asked if they are allowing overrides on everything since the government is saying to have extra on hand.  We also brought up the anticipated shortages because of manufacturing in China.  Nope!

On 3/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, MissP22 said:

I just finished loading up on a few hundred movies in case our ship is quarantined. It drives me nuts to keep watching the same old news hour after hour. 

Please excuse my stupid question but I am an old grandpa that knows nada about this stuff but I do love my movies.  My wife has an internet package only for her phone not the iPad that I would want to watch a movie on.  We do have amazon prime so could I watch everything on that site or do I have to download them?  Thanks for your help!

12 minutes ago, gskgizmo said:

Please excuse my stupid question but I am an old grandpa that knows nada about this stuff but I do love my movies.  My wife has an internet package only for her phone not the iPad that I would want to watch a movie on.  We do have amazon prime so could I watch everything on that site or do I have to download them?  Thanks for your help!

You can download movies onto your iPad through the Amazon Prime app whenever you have coverage, so that you can watch them when offline, such as on an aircraft, or on a ship at sea. You are limited to around 16 Prime movies/episodes at a time for offline viewing and you have to be careful that the movie/episode doesn’t age out. Sometime a quick connect to the Internet can fix that, but not if the program is no longer available on  Prime.

• Like 1

I think it is false confidence to be bring wipes/disinfectants/masks etc. etc., look at the list and then look in the mirror and ask why are you going.

I guess if I'm scheduled and going come hell or high water, I'd bring things that I'd want being locked in my cabin for 2-3 weeks.   As to all the cleaning and disinfectant stuff, I'm confident that will be everywhere, dang probably go to the dining room and push on their dispenser to get all the disinfectant I need for that day, or ask my steward as he brings me my meal.

I'd bring cards, some games, a kindle loaded with lots of books, laptop/iPad assuming I'm spending 3 weeks locked down.  

Didn't hear or read anyone dying from hunger or dehydration, just getting cabin fever.

12 hours ago, gskgizmo said:

12 hours ago, polmcs said:

You can download movies onto your iPad through the Amazon Prime app whenever you have coverage, so that you can watch them when offline, such as on an aircraft, or on a ship at sea. You are limited to around 16 Prime movies/episodes at a time for offline viewing and you have to be careful that the movie/episode doesn’t age out. Sometime a quick connect to the Internet can fix that, but not if the program is no longer available on  Prime.

I didn't know how Amazon Prime worked but I just create .mp4 files that don't expire.

I can more them to my tablet, laptop or phone for viewing & they don't expire. 

I did notice that Netflix lets you download up to 100 movies that won't expire for 30 days if that's any help. 

With all my prep we did decide to cancel our next cruise.

Better safe than sorry. 

Have a good cruise. 

• Like 1