Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
jb008

Just debarked X ship, worries over future covid containment

Just off X Infinity, and they've stepped up cleaning and sanitation. They were disinfecting stateroom hallway floor to ceiling and saw them disinfecting cabins as we debarked this am. [might have been due to an ill patient in our hallway section though?]

Food service/safety not so sure about. Saw gloved cook using the pax facing tongs transfer fresh food into a warmer pan up in the buffet area. Also had ungloved server stick her hand into pastry bag to open it before placing food inside at Cafe Al Bacio.

Overcoming staffs' habits may be a major hurdle if more ships end up becoming pétri dishes. I love cruising, but I think the industry has some rough water ahead for the foreseeable future.  (Especially if covid ends up having a second wave, like what happened with the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak)

"Food service/safety not so sure about. Saw gloved cook using the pax facing tongs transfer fresh food into a warmer pan up in the buffet area. Also had ungloved server stick her hand into pastry bag to open it before placing food inside at Cafe Al Bacio."

Did you report either of these to any supervisor?

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

"Food service/safety not so sure about. Saw gloved cook using the pax facing tongs transfer fresh food into a warmer pan up in the buffet area. Also had ungloved server stick her hand into pastry bag to open it before placing food inside at Cafe Al Bacio."

Did you report either of these to any supervisor?

Didnt have a chance, debarkation day. Will note in survey later today. Waiting on my survey now actually. Got my invoice so expecting survey soon. 

There are always supervisors at each restaurant -- you would have had a chance -- telling them on the survey is pretty much useless -- did you get the name of the server?  Did you note the time?  How would they ever find the person and discuss the behavior with them?  The on-board personnel won't even see that survey for many, many days.

The only way to effect change is to make the comments immediate.

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

There are always supervisors at each restaurant -- you would have had a chance -- telling them on the survey is pretty much useless -- did you get the name of the server?  Did you note the time?  How would they ever find the person and discuss the behavior with them?  The on-board personnel won't even see that survey for many, many days.

The only way to effect change is to make the comments immediate.

Then it's too late since I literally debarked today.

Stay vigilant and complain immediately fellow cruisers!  Also stay well everyone!

I'm glad to hear they are serious about cleaning.  We were on the Infinity from Feb. 15 - 22 for the music cruise and we came home with the flu.  After reading the Facebook Chat for that cruise, over 300 people have reported being sick after the cruise.  Influenza A has been the diagnosis.  I also heard that some people from the previous cruise stayed onboard doing a back to back, and many reported illness too.

My husband was very sick with the flu for about 9 days.  I had a mild case which lasted about 5 days.  He had the flu shot in November, I didn't have one.  Some of our cruise pals we met on board are still sick.

I posted several days ago saying I wish during this virus outbreak, at least, that Celebrity would go to staff serving food in the Buffet as they do during a noro outbreak.  I got jumped on by people who said how inconvenient and slow it would be.  Yes, maybe so, but wouldn’t it help to prevent the spread?

3 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I posted several days ago saying I wish during this virus outbreak, at least, that Celebrity would go to staff serving food in the Buffet as they do during a noro outbreak.  I got jumped on by people who said how inconvenient and slow it would be.  Yes, maybe so, but wouldn’t it help to prevent the spread?

Better that than a 2 week quarantine at some Army base.  The buffet self serve is gross.

Holland America has servers in the buffet.

16 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Better that than a 2 week quarantine at some Army base.  The buffet self serve is gross.

Holland America has servers in the buffet.

When you think about it, buffet style is really disgusting.  So many hands touching utensils, hair falling in food and people coughing and sneezing while getting their food.  I try to avoid buffets in restaurants, but always eat at the ones on the ship.  I don't know why, but it seems like the thing to do on vacation.  Lol.

Posted (edited)

I was on this cruise also. As we were leaving to debark we passed a female steward in our hall wearing a mask. Startled me a bit since we’d never seen her or anyone else wearing one up to that point. I’m now hoping it was simply because she was using a strong disinfectant in the hall...and not because she or anyone in her cabins was ill. 

...and I do wish the staff would serve in the buffet.

(I enjoyed my cruise, but not gonna lie - pleased to be off it!) 

Edited by durberville

I was also on this cruise and our room attendant kept coming by periodically and wiping down all the door handles. They didn't always rewipe the cleaner off so it would still be a bit wet and we would wash our hands immediately so I guess it was working!