2 hours ago, BND said:

Actually, there were 3 cases announced in Maryland.  All three caught it travelling overseas.  They were exposed on a Nile cruise.  At least one individual was at a large gathering of over 100 people last weekend at a retirement community center when they were probably contagious.  I live in No VA, but only about 20 miles from the county where these cases are.  While the media sits there and reports new cases and deaths, they don't report daily flu deaths which are higher.  The election has nothing to do with this as it makes neither side look good.  BTW, all three are recovering.

I live about 2 miles from Rockville, MD where these people lived. I am also a teacher and we have had letters sent to teachers and parents about the possibility of closing schools.  About a month ago, my school had to close for two days because so many students had the flu.  In my 32 years at the school this is the first time it closed because of illness. I don’t think the media is going overboard.  I grew up in the time of polio. In 4th grade, my entire school (500 students) got Whooping Cough. We were quarantined (big red sign on our front door) for 6 weeks in our house. We are so far away from when diseases got everyone sick, that we forget what it was like.  

I would never cancel inside a period where I would get no money back, except taxes, port charges, and anything I prepaid. No show would be the way to go. Why would I give them the opportunity to resell the cabin or get extra money as far as the move up promotion goes? They have no qualms in trying to suck every penny from me.

49 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I would never cancel inside a period where I would get no money back, except taxes, port charges, and anything I prepaid. No show would be the way to go. Why would I give them the opportunity to resell the cabin or get extra money as far as the move up promotion goes? They have no qualms in trying to suck every penny from me.

They could still raffle your room at bingo on the first day. 🤣

On 3/6/2020 at 8:40 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Yup, they're playing games. I'd much rather have a full refund than an FCC. I'd like to keep my money in my own pockets thank you very much. I mean, if the cruiselines have to raise prices to make up for the shortfalls in the coming months or years you may not feel that cruising is a good value anymore.....but they still have your money and you only have an FCC so either pay more or lose your initial fees. 

Please read my posts again because you seem a tad confused about my stance. My stance is that the cruiselines should be issuing full refunds for all who want to cancel or have their cruises cancelled by Royal (or any other cruiseline). Bottom line. 

I'm not in the least confused about your stance.  You think that the cruise line owes you something.  It doesn't.  If you book and go past final payment you have agreed to their cancellation penalties.  If you decide you don't want to go for any reason they owe you only what you deserve.  If you are afraid to sail, take out cancel for any reason insurance.  

But you suggest showing up to the cruise, and fake coughing and sneezing to get denied boarding so you can get a full refund.  Man, talk about playing games.  You're the biggest "gamer" in the discussion. 

Edited by papaflamingo
29 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm not in the least confused about your stance.  You think that the cruise line owes you something.  It doesn't.  If you book and go past final payment you have agreed to their cancellation penalties.  If you decide you don't want to go for any reason they owe you only what you deserve.  If you are afraid to sail, take out cancel for any reason insurance.  

But you suggest showing up to the cruise, and fake coughing and sneezing to get denied boarding so you can get a full refund.  Man, talk about playing games.  You're the biggest "gamer" in the discussion. 

Still confused I see so I'll try to be as clear as possible. I have already corrected myself in that showing up and saying you're sick will not get you a full refund as the cruise lines are not offering them......yet. We don't have a crystal ball so we don't know if they ever will or won't. 

I don't believe the cruise line owes me anything as I have already had my cruise for 2020 and my next booking is February 2021. I am not afraid to sail at all and in fact I would gladly take my family cruising again next week if I had more vacation time left. If I was a senior or someone with a weakened immune system I would definitely be afraid to cruise though. 

This is a very unique and fluid situation and there are many, including myself, who feel that the cruise lines, and I mean all cruise lines, are handling all of this very poorly. They really do only care about the almighty dollar after all. 

You do realize that people aren't just having second thoughts about going on a cruise for nothing, right? You do realize that people are getting really sick and dying, right? You do realize that there is currently a cruise ship that is in quarantine limbo and there surely will be more to follow, right? 

In closing I would just like to say.....sticks and stones. 

Yes you can cancel your cruise up to 48 hr before sailing.  You can also cancel any cruise set to sail to July 31, 2020.  A FCC will be issued for the full amount paid not including taxes and port charges.  Port charges and taxes will be refunded to the credit card that was used for payment.

2 minutes ago, mariefisher said:

Do you have to use the fcc for the full amount at one time? If you pick a cruise that cost less can you use the credit on another cruise?  Just wondered how it works. 

If the cruise fare is less, you will be issued a new FCC for the remaining value.

18 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I try to get info from the best minds, not those interpreting, and decide from there.

IME often difficult to tell when that is happening,so often a disaster happens & straight away there is 'an expert' on hand to tell us what happened which tend so often to not be the truth!

19 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

I tend to stick mostly to CNN rather than the local news stations. I didn't realize you were referring to more local news. But yes, certainly election years can effect things, I well remember well place heightening of alert status in the 2000's.

I try to get info from the best minds, not those interpreting, and decide from there. But it doesn't take much to stir up the masses (a run on toilet paper people, really LOL). I am seriously concerned over stock running out on things for people who truly need them, but anxiety trumps altruism and that is what we will continue to see I'm sure.

Earlier you said that you prefer expert opinions over politicians. However CNN and Fox News are the two most politicized and polarized main stream news sources out there, very bias and not very accurate. I’m with you on listening to the experts, but wouldn’t fully trust either of these sources for non politicized information. Often the entire story or facts are not shared.

15 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Still confused I see so I'll try to be as clear as possible. I have already corrected myself in that showing up and saying you're sick will not get you a full refund as the cruise lines are not offering them......yet. We don't have a crystal ball so we don't know if they ever will or won't. 

I don't believe the cruise line owes me anything as I have already had my cruise for 2020 and my next booking is February 2021. I am not afraid to sail at all and in fact I would gladly take my family cruising again next week if I had more vacation time left. If I was a senior or someone with a weakened immune system I would definitely be afraid to cruise though. 

This is a very unique and fluid situation and there are many, including myself, who feel that the cruise lines, and I mean all cruise lines, are handling all of this very poorly. They really do only care about the almighty dollar after all. 

You do realize that people aren't just having second thoughts about going on a cruise for nothing, right? You do realize that people are getting really sick and dying, right? You do realize that there is currently a cruise ship that is in quarantine limbo and there surely will be more to follow, right? 

In closing I would just like to say.....sticks and stones. 

Well, thanks for your comments, right up to you being condescending.  So, sorry, I missed where you "corrected yourself."  As to your condescending comments, duh.....of course I realize people are having second thoughts, getting sick, and dying.  No need for you to be such a condescending jerk about it.  

And there you have my stick back at your stone.  

Hope you enjoy whatever cruise you go on next. 

16 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I don’t want to jump in to y’alls fight, but I have to object to this comment above.  I suppose if you had family etc that worked in the cruise industry you would just say oh yeah “stop the cruise ships, put hundreds of thousands of employees out of work, for who knows how long.”  

Remember there are many families dependent on their employment, not just the on ship crew. The officers, and the many, many on shore workers.  Oh yeah, add all the others than make a living on the cruises that visit their ports and cities.  The companies that supply the ships with food and supplies, the Travel Agents. And probably many other functions that don’t jump in my mind at this minute.  I really believe the cruise industry has a lot more to think about when they make decisions, then just the passengers. It is not an easy decision. That is why others, like the govt, are there to help with the choices and give financial help if needed. 

Just stop being so quick to say they only care about their bottom line. 

6 minutes ago, dd likes to cruise said:

I don’t want to jump in to y’alls fight, but I have to object to this comment above.  I suppose if you had family etc that worked in the cruise industry you would just say oh yeah “stop the cruise ships, put hundreds of thousands of employees out of work, for who knows how long.”  

Remember there are many families dependent on their employment, not just the on ship crew. The officers, and the many, many on shore workers.  Oh yeah, add all the others than make a living on the cruises that visit their ports and cities.  The companies that supply the ships with food and supplies, the Travel Agents. And probably many other functions that don’t jump in my mind at this minute.  I really believe the cruise industry has a lot more to think about when they make decisions, then just the passengers. It is not an easy decision. That is why others, like the govt, are there to help with the choices and give financial help if needed. 

Just stop being so quick to say they only care about their bottom line. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, I mean, it was hardly a fight. 

3 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Earlier you said that you prefer expert opinions over politicians. However CNN and Fox News are the two most politicized and polarized main stream news sources out there, very bias and not very accurate. I’m with you on listening to the experts, but wouldn’t fully trust either of these sources for non politicized information. Often the entire story or facts are not shared.

I didn’t take this to a political place and don’t intend to now (we aren’t going to change opinions via posts no matter how rational). And I completely disagree regarding CNN, a false equivalent to the other channel mentioned,  but I am not here to discuss those issues and don’t wish to. Please note that I am bright enough to know the difference between the news and the talking heads discussing political opinion. My work is as a scientist, I will listen to people of science and while they differ on minor details I can find the facts from which I can come to my own conclusions. 

On 3/6/2020 at 5:30 AM, blueridgemama said:

I

I would not cruise at this point with a very young child or a very old person or with anyone who is immunosupprest. 

FYI...very young children are at very low risk for corona.  🙂

1 hour ago, Rala said:

FYI...very young children are at very low risk for corona.  🙂

FYI  I have read all the reports too. I still would not cruise with a young child.

Can not imagine being quarantined in a room with a baby or toddler. Sure it is unlikely to happen but why take the chance?

Edited by blueridgemama
21 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

FYI  I have read all the reports too. I still would not cruise with a young child.

Can not imagine being quarantined in a room with a baby or toddler. Sure it is unlikely to happen but why take the chance?

You are right if it comes to being quarantined .  Two weeks in a small space with a  toddler could be  "difficult" to say the least !!!  🙂