Newport Mansions

CruizinCupcake

45 minutes ago, CruizinCupcake said:

Is it better to purchase tickets online and do it on your own?

I've never found it to be an issue buying tickets the day of (but I also have never visited Newport on a cruise ship). I think it certainly wouldn't hurt you to buy in advance, and might speed things up for you, but I don't believe its 100% necessary. 

46 minutes ago, CruizinCupcake said:

Is it walkable from where we are tendered into?

Physically walkable? Yes. But its quite a distance-- about 2 miles or 45 minutes to The Breakers and further for the other mansions. Uber would be a great option for getting in or out to save time. 

48 minutes ago, CruizinCupcake said:

Any good places for lunch near the mansions?

Not really-- they are still in a residential neighborhood (surrounded by other mansions that people still live in). There are a ton of options back towards town. If you wanted to have a drink or a full meal at something that resembles the larger mansions further down, Chanler at Cliffwalk would be a place to do that. 

As you exit the tender, walk toward your left. There is a large tourist info center where you can purchase mansion tickets and then exit to the parking area where you can hop onto a bus that will take you along the route, passing many lovely summer cottages.  After your tour, head back toward the pier/wharf, via bus, explore the shops and enjoy a seafood luncheon.

Darcy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone does the Breakers, do not get me wrong it was beautiful my favorite was Rosecliff, Marble House and the Elms. Mansions  were also nice. Places to Eat The Lobster Bar, Dels Lemonade,The Red Parrot, Benjamin's Restaraunt and Raw Bar are my reccomendations. The Cookie Jar has awesome cookies. Visit St, Mary's Cathloic church Where John and Jackie Kennedy got married. Cliff Walk, Bowen Wharf. Thames Street to shop. I totally enjoyed it. Then again we spent a week in Newport instead of one day. But I enjoyed it. Ditto on what others commented