How negotiable are Carnival PVP's?

I am a first time cruiser and it's my first time working with a pvp.   Are the pvp fairly limited to offering only what is on the website?  Or can you get them to add extra stuff like OBC or something else.   Or is it a better idea to take what they are offering and then shop it around via various TA's?  I have submitted offers via cruise compete and they were able to throw in some extra OBC.  Carnival has changed the offers since I last had communication with the TA. 

Looking at a sailing on the Mardi gras in Late November 2021 out of port canaveral

5 minutes ago, Prairiefrozen said:

I am a first time cruiser and it's my first time working with a pvp.   Are the pvp fairly limited to offering only what is on the website?  Or can you get them to add extra stuff like OBC or something else.   Or is it a better idea to take what they are offering and then shop it around via various TA's?  I have submitted offers via cruise compete and they were able to throw in some extra OBC.  Carnival has changed the offers since I last had communication with the TA. 

Looking at a sailing on the Mardi gras in Late November 2021 out of port canaveral

In my experience PVPs are pretty limited on what they can do, especially if you are a good web researcher on your own. that said, I have one and use him when we have a group with multiple cabins, linking reservations, or I have other questions. But basically it's if I am being a bit lazy to be honest. Booked the last cruise with him over the phone because it was last minute and I had bad cell reception in a football tailgate lot. Truth! haha

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Prairiefrozen said:

Mine hasn't given me anything I haven't found online. 

• Like 2

PVPs may have access to rates that you don't get on carnival.com, but they don't have authority to negotiate.  Either it's in the computer as a rate (which includes OBC, if any) or it isn't.

TAs may or may not have access to different rates.  Plus, they will throw in perks (essentially, giving you something out of their commission). PVPs can not do this.

• Like 2

I use a PVP  because she tells me if the room I was looking at is good, like not below the galley type things. Also tells me how many people are in the cabins next door, kids or adult, links our group for dinner if not cruising by ourselves. I pretty much know what my fare will be when I call her. Some travel agents can give you some perks as incentive to use them. I just prefer going directly to the source.

Any incentive from a PVP would come out of their own pocket.  TAs have a budget for gifts like OBC.  However, if there is a booking on board with your booking with you didn't get something that was part of your booking, Guest Services on board will reach out to your PVP to clear it up. 

Like the others have said, you cannot negotiate with a PVP. The only worry with using someone else like a PVP or TA is getting someone who doesn’t know what they are doing.

We usually research and book directly on the website, but I recently had some issues and called the PVP that I am assigned to so I could get some help since the wait time with customer service when calling the 800 number is lengthy with everything going on right now. Both times I called, the PVP that I have been assigned to told me he needed to transfer me because he couldn’t help with a simple pricing error. Both times he transferred me into the queue for the regular customer service line. He is awful. 

Try to research some before you call and try to get a feel for who you are working with when you contact someone whether it be a PVP or TA. If the answers you’re getting do not sound right or they seem unwilling to answer questions/help you, steer clear of them and try to get another PVP or TA. 

1 hour ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

Like the others have said, you cannot negotiate with a PVP. The only worry with using someone else like a PVP or TA is getting someone who doesn’t know what they are doing.

We usually research and book directly on the website, but I recently had some issues and called the PVP that I am assigned to so I could get some help since the wait time with customer service when calling the 800 number is lengthy with everything going on right now. Both times I called, the PVP that I have been assigned to told me he needed to transfer me because he couldn’t help with a simple pricing error. Both times he transferred me into the queue for the regular customer service line. He is awful. 

Try to research some before you call and try to get a feel for who you are working with when you contact someone whether it be a PVP or TA. If the answers you’re getting do not sound right or they seem unwilling to answer questions/help you, steer clear of them and try to get another PVP or TA. 

Maybe he doesn't like working for free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They also hold a room for 24 hours, which is beneficial. Otherwise, not much difference. I've never seen the "have access to more than what is online." But it doesn't surprise me.

In the past I have done my own booking, used a travel agent and for the past few years have a PVP.

Using a PVP has gotten me the best bang for the buck IMHO.

Perhaps I'm just lucky and mine is really conscience at her job.

She has found deals and rooms I couldn't and I consider myself pretty good at research.

I always book my own cruises online no matter what cruise line I am cruising on. I feel no one is going to do a better job booking a cabin I want than if I do it myself. I also like knowing I can call the cruise line directly about any issues, price drops, concerns, etc. I have concerning a cruise. 

However, in your situation I would recommend using a TA since you have never cruised before. A TA is a better option than a PVP in my opinion. A PVP can only offer you the same “deals” that are available on their website. The only advantage a PVP has is they have access to more cabins than what their website shows is available, but that has never been an issue for me when booking a cruise (i.e. the website has always showed cabins I was happy with booking).  

We have used the same PVP since 2001 just about 15 cruises booked through her.  I usually call her ready to book and have already done my research and know what I want, but she still always looks at her system to see if she can see something I can't. A majority of the time she says I've found the best deal but just recently for my December 2021/2011 NYE sailing on the Mardi Gras she saw a few rooms on her system that were showing up online and I snagged one of those. In addition to this when we are sailing with friends she always handles link reservations for dinner.  Other than that she is limited in what she can offer but I would never use anyone else.  Good luck