Temporary Cancellation Policy Announced

idahospud

42 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Do you guys know if this FCC can be used on a cruise already booked with an agent or does it have to be used on a new cruise or a cruise already booked directly through Princess??

I know it can be used for a cruise already booked but not sure if that includes cruises already booked through an agent other than Princess???

A cruise not yet paid for no matter how you booked it.

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Thank you for providing the detail.  I had the same question about handling of EZair for our May cruise if we cancel under the temporary policy.  From what you've indicated, it seems like they are treating it the same way they are the cruise fare.  And if that is the case, we have until the end of the month to decide whether or not we are going to cancel, the 45 day EZair policy cancellation policy doesn't come into play here.  The only thing a decision later in the month may impact is the split between what we get back on our credit card vs. what we'll have in FCC.

From what I was told on the phone and the email info I mentioned, I would say yes to your understanding. I was 'worried' that the EZ Air might be handled differently as credit with airlines but based on the email details  it appears to be handled in one lump along with cruise fare. Once again, I am thankful we booked with EZ Air! (often a source of many discussions here on CC)

• Like 2

For those with sailings on 3/7 and 3/8, the person I "spoke" with in the webpage chat said they would cover these sailings with the 100% FCC for cancellation fees too. I am still on hold on the phone to get a better confirmation that is accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, caribill said:

Most are only waiving these fees for new bookings within a relatively small purchasing period.

Example from one airline:

To offer customers more flexibility, we are pleased to announce that we will waive change fees up to 14 days prior to travel for travel purchased between March 1, 2020 (4:30 p.m. CST) and March 16, 2020 (11.59 p.m. CST).

The airline offer is to encourage new bookings. Bookings prior to the stated start date stiull will have standard cancellation penalties in place.

This is quite different than the Princess offer which applies to cruises purchased in the past and have yet to sail in the next several months.

I guess it depends on how you view things.  Airline policies were much better than Princess' policy (refund and FCC for just a very few select sailings that were canceled) until Princess announced a fleetwide policy yesterday.  I would not be surprised if airlines increase their policy for purchases after their currently-stated booking dates.

Edited by frugaltravel

5 hours ago, Coral said:

They earlier changed their final payment date. They may have helped several people because they made that announcement earlier.

I am in a weird situation. My cruise is 26 days. If I had booked it as a B2B I would be in 50% penalty but because it is booked as 1 cruise I am in 75% penalty and I am disembarking in France which isn't the best place to go (others are disembarking in London). So I am not overly thrilled with this offer but I am happy for those who booked 3rd party insurance and didn't have the option to cancel and get a future cruise credit.

My cruise leaves April 19th (air April 18th).

Ours is even weirder.

We are to be on the Sky Apr 11 transatlantic, onto St. Petersburg.  We hold HKSAR passports as dual nationality.  The HKSAR passport allows 14 days Visa Free entry to Russia, up to 90 days in total in any 6 rolling months.  So we were all set or so we thought.

Then Russia suspends entry of Chinese citizens incl HKSAR and MacaoSAR effective Feb 18th.  So we had to get a Deviation of Itinerary from Princess, also lost our intra Europe post cruise flights which are St. Petersburg - Zurich - Nice where we would spend 6 days, then Nice back to Zurich, 6 days to visit Italy (Lombardy! ) before flying back Zurich to Miami.  Since we can no longer enter Russia, the intra-Europe flights are down the drain because Swiss Air only has travel waiver up to Mar 31st with our travel on May 6th, after 5 days at St. Petersburg.

The Deviation Request was quickly approved (took 2 days in all), back in Feb.  We were to modify everything post cruise from flights to hotels due to the  departure city would be from Tallinn instead of St. Petersburg - the fares have noticeable differences, plus we lose 5 days in St.Petersburg so the hotels need to realign.  Thankfully we opted to wait till 3rd week of March to decide on the new plan post cruise...

Then of course the situations are getting worse by the day.  We may not go any more.

I do not know how the future cruise credit would be handled - does it incl the taxes paid?  I would prefer it is including the taxes and not separately handled.

We booked this as a point redemption thru Chase bank's Ultimate Reward travel dept,  the payment was made with our points and the Loyalty Travel paid Princess used its corporate credit card.  If the taxes are refunded to the credit card that would be Loyalty Travel's corporate card.  We then need to get them convert the $ into points to put back to our account.  Lots of follow up things I do not look forward to at all.

The reason to book the cruise this way is that using points we essentially "pay" 33.33% less than using a credit card because the points can be redeemed as cash at 1c per pt, or used to book travel at 1.5c per pt worth, with the Chase Sapphire Reserve card benefits.

I also do not know if you must apply the future cruise credit to a future cruise right at the time you cancel the current one,  or you can decide which cruise you would like to go before Dec 31st, 2021.

Anyone has prior experience on this type of future cruise credit booking can enlighten me?  Thanks a lot.

20 minutes ago, cng062000 said:

For those with sailings on 3/7 and 3/8, the person I "spoke" with in the webpage chat said they would cover these sailings with the 100% FCC for cancellation fees too. I am still on hold on the phone to get a better confirmation that is accurate. 

the 'chat' feature is for training people who become the Princess reps that answer the phone … j/s

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

If true, good to know and that makes a lot of sense.  I assumes that is the case with most all companies?

...the person I chatted with definitely needed some help with english grammar and spelling....which is why I'm still on the phone (unpatiently) waiting. 

• Thanks 1

This is all very interesting.  On Monday I cancelled my cruise which would have left today because my husband's doctors told him he should not travel.  At the time I was told that it was 100% cancellation fee, period.  I wonder if they will do this retroactively.....

Just had a brain fart moment....we had CFAR PVP insurance. We cancelled via phone and were told a number that is approximately 50% of the total amount we have paid for cruise, EZ Air, insurance, transfers, and shore excursions would be credited back to our CC in about 10 days.

The balance or 'cancellation fee' ie. the NON refundable part of the total we had to recoup from AON via an insurance claim.

NOW, I am assuming that when this claim is accepted that we will receive the balance also as a CC refund.

My confusion is because the email and much discussion has been around Future Cruise Credits that must be used by Dec 31, 2021 which, upon reflection, am I to assume that would be for people WHO DO NOT HAVE CFAR INSURANCE?

Your thoughts??

Edited by remydiva

6 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

We purchased the Platinum level (actually upgraded from standard since we are Ruby level).  So, now everyone gets the benefit we PAID for?  I do not begrudge the passengers, but I think Princess should refund what we PAID for the Platinum level coverage.

You paid for peace of mind.     

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisingram1 said:

I think I’ve been confusing FCC ( future cruise certificate purchased on Board and used to book my future cruise ) with Future Cruise Credit that Princess is offering upon cancellation. Does anyone know how Princess is going to handle cruises that used a >Next

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The first one you mentioned (used to book a future cruise) is considered FCD (future cruise deposit).  The second one, FCC (Future Cruise Credit), is what Princess is offerring upon cancellation.  You use the FCC toward any new or existing booking that is not already paid in full.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you, fascinating. As an ex Brit, my eyes popped when I saw GMT 🙂

Looked on wiki and it said that Brits still use GMT instead of UTC which I found interesting.  I am old and used GMT quite awhile before UTC came more into vogue but then I also refer to radio frequency in cycles as in MC etc.  I was in engineering school when frequency became expressed in Hertz. Needless to say my first time to London a trip to Greenwich was mandatory. Very neat to stand on the well marked meridian.  

Edited by satxdiver

5 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

The first one you mentioned (used to book a future cruise) is considered FCD (future cruise deposit).  The second one, FCC (Future Cruise Credit), is what Princess is offerring upon cancellation.  You use the FCC toward any new or existing booking that is not already paid in full.

Do we have to book the replacement at the time of cancelling the current one?   Or we can wait in the future then book a cruise to use the cert as long as it sails before Dec 31st 2021?   i.e. no immediate decision to make?

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Cancellations must be made at least 72 hours in advance.

Being this is March 6, that is less than 72 hours.

Nope , not true.Took all am, but my TA made my life alot easier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cng062000 said:

My TA got through and you are right. 

9 hours ago, Stevie17 said:

I just got the email as well, and we will be cancelling our March 29th cruise and taking future cruise credit. This was such a good move on Princess's part. What a relief!

We are on the same cruise, haven't made a decision yet but did get the email this AM. Nice to know we can get our fare back or cruise and receive an additional 200 dollars per cabin.

What bothers me a lot is if we have to be quarantined, don't know if I could take being locked up in a cabin for 2 weeks. Another thing is who to believe in the media, one news show this AM had an expert on saying the virus is being blown way out of proportion. An hour later I read an article that says the death toll eventually could reach a total of 15 million.

7 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are on the same cruise, haven't made a decision yet but did get the email this AM. Nice to know we can get our fare back or cruise and receive an additional 200 dollars per cabin.

What bothers me a lot is if we have to be quarantined, don't know if I could take being locked up in a cabin for 2 weeks. Another thing is who to believe in the media, one news show this AM had an expert on saying the virus is being blown way out of proportion. An hour later I read an article that says the death toll eventually could reach a total of 15 million.

Like most things media related, I suspect the FACTS and TRUTH lie somewhere in the middle but I'm leaning more towards the former... a lot of  caution that is being massaged to near hysteria (toilet paper for sale on Craiglist for $100? are you mad?).

In this day and age of BREAKING NEWS scrolling on CNN 24/7 it's hard not to be skeptical. Staying safe at home is one thing..follow Mother's rules of washing your hands, no hand shakes and dont touch your face.

But add yourself to a mix of 300 people sardined into a plane or cast adrift on the ocean unable to dock due to onshore restrictions is something completely out of our control. We chose to wait this one from the sidelines for the latter reasons.

24 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

Do we have to book the replacement at the time of cancelling the current one?   Or we can wait in the future then book a cruise to use the cert as long as it sails before Dec 31st 2021?   i.e. no immediate decision to make?

Read  https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/temporary-cancellation-policy.html instead of relying on second hand information.

• Like 1

Just now, FolsomFamilyCruisers said:

Princess has come through and honored their cancellation offer for March 7/8 cruises as well -- grateful!

Yes, they have come through for us again! 

• Like 1