Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

daddowdall

Coral Princess Food

OK, the posts I've been reading haven't been too kind in general to Princess efforts in the cuisine department. But many, if not most of the criticisms seem to be about the Grand Class ships (Grand, Golden, Sapphire). And maybe I'm too much the optimist, but I thought I detected a more favorable trend when cruisers chronicle their dining experiences on Coral/Island. We're on Coral for the first time in March, and although I've never had a problem with the food on any past Princess cruise (and I thought it was pretty good on Golden), I'd really like to hear from past Coral cruisers about the dining experience on their cruise. And if you do and you're on the March 14 Panama cruise, I'll buy you a drink or two!

daddowdall, sorry I can't answer your question about food on the Coral -- our last Princess cruise was the Baltic in 2001 & the food was excellent. I'm posting with a request to you personally -- you will be on the Coral @ a month before me. Could you take a look, keep an ear open for, report back on the spa, the seminars at sea - is a Photoshop Elements class offered? other photo classes? - and any other activities including those offered during port days for those who do not wish to experience the tender situation in GC, etc. Hope you have a fantastic time and great flights to & fro. Thanks, Marion ps - is it possible to do the bingo only once or twice or is that a daily commitment thing? cost would also be great to know. I enjoy the Holliday Inn's bingo in Aruba, but certainly don't go over for it on a daily basis.

Could you take a look, keep an ear open for, report back on the spa, the seminars at sea - is a Photoshop Elements class offered? other photo classes? - and any other activities including those offered during port days for those who do not wish to experience the tender situation in GC, etc.

QUOTE]

Hi, Marion,

We will be on ahead of you also and hope to take several classes. In fact, the classes were part of the reason we chose the Coral.

Some other posters have noted a cost for some classes.

I'll let you know.

Regards,

NZ

I was on the Coral last month. I never had a meal I didn't like or that required sending back. There is lots of variety so there's always something that will appeal and I had meals in both the dining room and buffet.

Computer classes:

complimentary - using a computer for beginners

$25. Basic skills

$25. Uploading & resizing digital images for email

$25. Photoshop elements : the basics of photo editing

$25 Powerpoint

$25 Word

there were different ones each day, more than I've listed here

These were on sea days. Port days are private lessons by appointment.

We were on the Coral Princess in November and I thought the food was very good, some even gourmet level. Feel free to try new foods, one couple who seemed to eat about the same time as us a couple of times had shrimp cocktail, steak, french fries and cheesecake every dinner. I would find that boring. We ate breakfast Horizon court, lunch on deck (Pizza, burgers, etc) or Horizon Court and dinner in the dining room except one night we ate dinner in the horizon court. Did not do either of the speciality restaurants or the Bistro (the 1 am - 5 am thing, we were sleeping then). Did one afternoon tea and managed to hit the free ice cream at 3:30 every day we were not on a shore excursion.

I agree with a Previous poster, any meal you don't have to shop for, cook and clean up from is a good meal.

Seriosuly I thought the food was very good, DW thought the food was good but food on Celebrity was a little bit better.

We were on the Coral over Xmas/New Year's. It was a great cruise itin. and the ship was beautiful and I never had a complaint about the food in the dinning room. The dinners were terrific, always a good selection/choices and there was even a "every night" option incase you could not find anything you liked on the menu. The fettucini alfredo was the best I have ever had. The lobsters was wonderful (and I am from New Engalnd). The breakfasts in the dinning room were very good. I will say the buffet in Horizon's Court (I think that was what it was called) was only ehhh. Very standard fare and not very good. We had breakfast there twice (only because we slept past 9am) and on sea days I always checked to see what was there for lunch and always ended up at the pizza place (which was terrific) or the burger/grill (which was good). In relation to food the only other area that the Coral could improve would be the late night snack buffet, (like we really needed to eat again ;) )the buffet was again basic. We usually saw the soup from dinner the night before and the desserts from the night before, fruit and a salad bar that never changed. Overall I would give the Coral Princess' food a solid 9 with the only area for improvement was the buffet. Needless to say we wenjoyed it so much we ALL went on a diet when we got home! Enjoy:)

We were on the Coral last summer in Alaska.

The food was top notch (for a cruise ship).

We ate in the dinning room - traditional - second seating. Also had one meal each in Sabatinis and Bayou - again - both very good. Service for dinner also very good. I think it was our last night on board, I had a steak in the dinning room, and it was a bit over done - before I could tell our wonderful server not to make a big deal but to just - poof - it was removed and moments later replaced with a steak properly cooked.

I'd eat a meal on the Coral anytime. :D

Horizon Court was - well I guess I'm a bit of a snob - don't really like buffet food a lot, but it was never bad. I did not like the fact that pairs frequently sat at larger tables by themselves - looking to make new friends, no doubt, but more than once it caused our group of six to split up, as there was not a table for 6 available. (And if that is the worse thing that happened - like I said, I'd eat on the Coral anytime.:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot, guys. Sounds like most of my experiences on other Princess ships. Based on the comments here, we'll probably try to eat more (I should end it there :)) in the dining room and less in HC. Bonnie Jean: we'll go to the roll call board, but how does that work?

DADDOW, just got off the Coral 2/2. We only ate in the dinning room 4 nights. Those were the nights they served Escargot, onion soup, lobster tails and lamb, as they don't have those items in Horizon Court. I will say the food at dinner time in HC was very good with a lot of the items that were on the dinning room dinner menu. They had 3 varieties of Caviar almost every night in HC and you could have as much of it as you wanted. We had anytime dinning and all but one night, we were told we could only sit at large tables with others and it wasn't the busy times. We like other people but we eat slowly and felt we had to rush as not to hold up the others. We checked what was on the dinner menu for the night in the afternoon. We would check what was available HC at around 5:00 pm and that's how we decided where we would eat dinner.

Diane

Read your issue of food on the Coral - was on it 12/24 - 1/3 for the Panama Cruise. In a word bland. Hope you have traditional seating because the service was aweful in the anytime dining room.

THanks for the info on the classes, Lannp.

I agree with other posters: if I don't have to kill it, clean it, cook it, clean up afterwards, I will LOVE the Coral's food. I'm excited.

Read your issue of food on the Coral - was on it 12/24 - 1/3 for the Panama Cruise. In a word bland. Hope you have traditional seating because the service was aweful in the anytime dining room.

Interesting..........I was on the Coral and the food was definitely not bland and the service for anytime dining was just fine.....no problem at all.

OK, the posts I've been reading haven't been too kind in general to Princess efforts in the cuisine department. But many, if not most of the criticisms seem to be about the Grand Class ships (Grand, Golden, Sapphire). And maybe I'm too much the optimist, but I thought I detected a more favorable trend when cruisers chronicle their dining experiences on Coral/Island. We're on Coral for the first time in March, and although I've never had a problem with the food on any past Princess cruise (and I thought it was pretty good on Golden), I'd really like to hear from past Coral cruisers about the dining experience on their cruise. And if you do and you're on the March 14 Panama cruise, I'll buy you a drink or two!

We haven't cruised on the Coral yet but will on the Dec 29th cruise of this year. We have been on lots of other Princess ships and the food has been excellent on all of them. We were on the Star last year in anytime dining and a couple of nights I wasn't too impressed; however, we were on the Grand in November/December and the food was delicious. I would never eat dinner in the Horizon Court as it is typical buffet food and is not too warm by the time you get it to your table. I usually don't eat lunches there either but it is good for breakfast if you don't want to be waited on in the dining room. One thing, if you don't like what you are served you can always get something else. They aim to please. Also, we prefer traditional dining (1st seating) but do the anytime when we travel with our kids. But we always eat in the dining room for dinner except for one night in the Sterling Steakhouse.

I forgot to mention that I have food allergies and there was always something I could eat.

We did traditional - 1st seating. I didn't care for our waitress (clash of personalities) and we had a large table near us celebrating a 25th wedding anniv. and most nights they really ïntruded on the tables around them.

So I wouldn't fault the food but could have wished for better ambience.

After sailing on both classes you mentioned (Diamond and Coral), I would consider food in the dining room more or less the same. We ate dinner every night in the dining room except for one night at Sabatini's which was great. The one area where I noticed a huge difference between the two classes was the late night buffet. The Diamond had tons of options and lots of hot/dinner type items, but the Coral was severely lacking (very very basic). Hopefully they've fixed that, but aside from Horizon, I personally wouldn't expect to see a huge difference in the dining room between the ship classes.

I forgot to mention that I have food allergies and there was always something I could eat.

We did traditional - 1st seating. I didn't care for our waitress (clash of personalities) and we had a large table near us celebrating a 25th wedding anniv. and most nights they really ïntruded on the tables around them.

So I wouldn't fault the food but could have wished for better ambience.

Next time that happens to you talk to the table captain or Maitre D' and ask for another table. They will try to accommodate you if possible. We have complained about waiters and gotten that resolved and once we even had to change our table. Made the dining experience much nicer.

Sailed on Sun last year and Diamond in Feb. There was not a lot of difference in the quality of the food. I think some things differ such as the fresh fruit. Oz/Nz had really tasteless melon every day. Found a fresh squeezed oj location on the last day. Beef was so-so on both ships although the roast beef was better on Diamond, and the tomatoes were riper. Perhaps they purchased those down under as they were at sea for several months before we embarked.

Will any or all of you that have recently been on the Coral have time to post a review? We sail on 4/3 and can't wait! Would love to read more about your experiences. We love Princess, and are willing to admit it isn't perfect, but it is a good fit for us! Thanks in advance!