So if you have a cruise cancelled, would you vacation elsewhere this summer?

Hllb

I have a cruise from Venice to Rome scheduled for July.  Hoping things settle down by then and it's a go, but trying to come up with scenarios if it's cancelled.  The cruise is for my daughter's 16th birthday, so if it gets cancelled, I'd still like to take her somewhere (I took her brother to Korea for his 16th last year).  What would YOU do if your summer cruise was cancelled?  Stay home?  Cruise somewhere else?  Vacation somewhere else?  Where else would you consider going? Looking for back up ideas here 😄

If our Italy trip and Mediterranean cruise plans for June are changed then we would just reschedule for another later time and use that current time slot for travel elsewhere, likely, on short notice, a US based cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We would still take a vacation, we would simply change the trip. As much as we love cruising, we also have a number of places and trips we want to take that do not involve a ship. For example, Gros Morne National park in Newfoundland offers up stunning scenery and iceberg and whale watching is a treat. I want to go back again and that is an easy substitution. I am sure that there are a host of places people can think of that offer up attractive, fun things to do as an alternative. If a cruise really is the "want" on the birthday list, simply reschedule. Better later than never.

1 minute ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

We would still take a vacation, we would simply change the trip. As much as we love cruising, we also have a number of places and trips we want to take that do not involve a ship. For example, Gros Morne National park in Newfoundland offers up stunning scenery and iceberg and whale watching is a treat. I want to go back again and that is an easy substitution. I am sure that there are a host of places people can think of that offer up attractive, fun things to do as an alternative. If a cruise really is the "want" on the birthday list, simply reschedule. Better later than never.

Italy was the 'want' on her list.  We have 5 days on land, plus the cruise. 

23 minutes ago, Hllb said:

Italy was the 'want' on her list.  We have 5 days on land, plus the cruise. 

If Italy is her desired destination, let's hope things calm down and she gets her dream vacation. There is a bit of time between now and July for things to improve.  Here's wishing you the best.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pale Gail Sails said:

If Italy is her desired destination, let's hope things calm down and she gets her dream vacation. There is a bit of time between now and July for things to improve.  Here's wishing you the best.

Yup, crossing fingers.  

• Like 2

We have a Barcelona to Venice booked for July.  We are flying round trip to Barcelona.  If our cruise is cancelled, we will evaluate the situation and consider flying to Barcelona and doing a land trip.

My parent's April cruise in Japan was cancelled and they were thinking of replacing it with a trip in the US somewhere, but are rethinking that now because they don't want to fly and are worried about closures.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

We'd go to Amsterdam, Berlin, and the Ukraine-

-the trip we are planning for next year.

Next Year 2021 might actually work out for you!

Hopefully COVID-19 will have run its course by then

and be on the wane, or even a done deal

but for now, it looks like this!

COVID-19-Eurasia.JPG

COVID-19-Worldwide Thurs nite.JPG

6 hours ago, Hllb said:

I have a cruise from Venice to Rome scheduled for July.  Hoping things settle down by then and it's a go, but trying to come up with scenarios if it's cancelled.  The cruise is for my daughter's 16th birthday, so if it gets cancelled, I'd still like to take her somewhere (I took her brother to Korea for his 16th last year).  What would YOU do if your summer cruise was cancelled?  Stay home?  Cruise somewhere else?  Vacation somewhere else?  Where else would you consider going? Looking for back up ideas here 😄

I have a friend in Rome and says crowds couldn't be more light and what a great time to see all those places usually over-run, of course you may not get back or stuck on a ship for weeks on end.  

For me personally, just work, enjoy my hobbies and save up my vacations when it is safer to travel

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

We just had our Egyptian land and river tour next week cancelled by the travel company we booked with.  Seems 12 crew on the Nile River portion showed positive.  Happy the travel company took immediate action!

Now we have an 11 day NCL Partial Canal cruise booked for April that might get cancelled.  In June, we have a stay in London that could be an issue, followed by a Norwegian fjord 9 day cruise on the Legend.  Hoping to keep that viable.

In October, we have 10 days on a land tour in Iceland in search of the Northern Lights, and hoping that will go off as planned.

The situation is so fluid, more will be revealed!  Our travel plans may get upset but we'll just look for other safe alternatives.

No cruise this year (full disclosure).  BUT, I am cancelling my birthday/retirement trip to Las Vegas that was in 4 weeks.  Just way too may people in one spot.  Since I'm one of those in the category who are now being advised to stay home by CDC (over 60, pre-existing condition), I'm going to save my money (and potential losses at the craps table).  I'll go camping instead - solitary relaxation!!!  

• Like 1

Despite the cost of housing here, one of the great benefits of living in California (particularly coastal California) is all that is available for local/regional vacationing: beaches, wine country, boating, skiing, endless natural beauty and weather without humidity.

I can remember when we were first contemplating retirement, friends/colleagues across the U.S. would engage us in discussions about where we were all headed for a retirement location. I always had to smile because where would you move from here?

We are cancelling AK in June for health status of our travel companions. Assuming WE are healthy, we will drive to visit them in place. 

We are cancelling our CPH-BOS trans-Atlantic in Aug/Sept for an unrelated reason, and we will be renting a camper-truck and seeing other family in the Northeast US.

Those being our plans at present. Subject to change!

6 hours ago, crystalspin said:

We are cancelling AK in June for health status of our travel companions. Assuming WE are healthy, we will drive to visit them in place. 

We are cancelling our CPH-BOS trans-Atlantic in Aug/Sept for an unrelated reason, and we will be renting a camper-truck and seeing other family in the Northeast US.

Alaska is a potential backup for us. Not sure if my daughter would pick it but it’s in my list. New Zealand is a potential too but we went to Australia last year so I wasn’t planning on going quite that far. 

I won't lie, the current situation is hard for me. I love to travel, but not particularly in this hemisphere.

I'm not in a high-risk group, so probably will continue to keep my Iceland/Greenland TA cruise in August on the books, as well as my BTB Med cruise in October (departing from Venice on both legs.... :classic_huh: )

I already have gotten slapped twice by COVID-19.  First, had to cancel an April cruise around Japan. Second, I visited Italy in late February and now am self-quarantined at the request of my company due to potential exposure. Neither situation is terrible but it does show the types of travel disruptions that are likely to continue for some time. 

As for me I will continue to make travel plans but also stay flexible.  I can reschedule; the world isn't ending tomorrow.

• Like 3

For myself, I would just redirect the trip to another destination, unless things get exponentially worse over the next few months.  I think a lot of people fear being turned away by the country where you are meant to disembark more than they currently fear the illness, so I guess land-based travel might be the best backup plan. In the case where it is a specific dream destination your daughter picked for her birthday trip, I would probably postpone the trip to next year and plan a shorter, more local getaway to celebrate this year.  Maybe go somewhere with a Little Italy neighborhood for the weekend and enjoy the promise of the trip that you'll take next year!  Celebrating her 16th in a special way, but just pushing the actual trip back a bit.  But that's only if she really has her heart set on Italy.  If she's really flexible and has other dream destinations, I would be more likely to try one of those.  My personal backup choice might be Iceland or Norway. But that's because I haven't been. My actual backup plan for my spring cruise right now is a land-based trip to Belize. But as I watch things spread I also think "where could I travel that has really good health care, just in case?" 🙂 I hope that it turns out you don't have to change plans at all!

2 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

If I have to cancel my birthday cruise, why can't I cancel my birthday and just stay the same age until I can cruise again?

I cancelled all of my birthdays, but for some reason I am still getting older.  <sigh>

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Aw, renting a motor home and pulling the boat around to various mountain lakes is something I would love to do.  Or, renting one for a drive up or down the pacific coast seems like it would be fun.   Now that Mrs Ldubs is retired, we might be able to pull it off.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MountainMermaid said:

For myself, I would just redirect the trip to another destination, unless things get exponentially worse over the next few months.  I think a lot of people fear being turned away by the country where you are meant to disembark more than they currently fear the illness, so I guess land-based travel might be the best backup plan. In the case where it is a specific dream destination your daughter picked for her birthday trip, I would probably postpone the trip to next year and plan a shorter, more local getaway to celebrate this year.  Maybe go somewhere with a Little Italy neighborhood for the weekend and enjoy the promise of the trip that you'll take next year!  Celebrating her 16th in a special way, but just pushing the actual trip back a bit.  But that's only if she really has her heart set on Italy.  If she's really flexible and has other dream destinations, I would be more likely to try one of those.  My personal backup choice might be Iceland or Norway. But that's because I haven't been. My actual backup plan for my spring cruise right now is a land-based trip to Belize. But as I watch things spread I also think "where could I travel that has really good health care, just in case?" 🙂 I hope that it turns out you don't have to change plans at all!

Yes, I told her to start thinking of other places. Iceland and Alaska are both on my list but perhaps not hers. I look at all the places without virus issues right now and most are not places with good healthcare. Not going to those places right now.

Belize was on my bucket list and we hit it on a cruise last year. Nice place but for a land trip I’d pick Roatan (Honduras) instead. It was beautiful!

• Like 1

I have no cruises booked and will not be doing so soon.  This is not due to the virus.  It's due to my current health situation.

For a few years while I was working, I visited a variety of East Coast beaches.  Virginia Beach won my heart.  Being so close to Hampton Roads, it was a ship watchers spot.  Naval vessels and even cruise ships could be viewed from my beachfront hotel.  It's been a while since I returned to Virginia Beach; my favorite hotel was torn down in January.  (Progress, I guess.)  I am seriously considering another visit to Virginia Beach for my next "getaway".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have no cruises booked and will not be doing so soon.  This is not due to the virus.  It's due to my current health situation.

For a few years while I was working, I visited a variety of East Coast beaches.  Virginia Beach won my heart.  Being so close to Hampton Roads, it was a ship watchers spot.  Naval vessels and even cruise ships could be viewed from my beachfront hotel.  It's been a while since I returned to Virginia Beach; my favorite hotel was torn down in January.  (Progress, I guess.)  I am seriously considering another visit to Virginia Beach for my next "getaway".

I’ve been there once for business but never got to do anything fun other than dinner.