Why Only Princess.....?

WoodstockGirl

4 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

It is curious that the media is making a big deal about Princess when there are others out there with issues . We just heard about MSC yesterday but it is not "front and center" like Princess!  So how would you explain it? Try being polite this time!!!

The show the Love Boat gave birth to the cruising industry so I think that Princess is just in the eye of the general public whether they cruise or not. Honestly I don't think anyone would care If it were happening to any other popular line. Princess Cruises is the Hollywood star of the cruise industry and everyone likes to see a big star at their lowest point.

Edited by Iamcruzin

49 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Which ship and why?

I don't know the ship.  My friend just returned from 8 day southern caribbean cruise with Carnival.  He said another ship was denied entry to Aruba; they were told 400 people had fevers

unfortunately its not just Princess

Nile river boat MS River Anuket docks in the city of Luxor in southern Egypt Saturday, March 7, 2020. The ship, carrying some 100 mostly foreign tourists is under quarantine after 12 people tested positive for the new coronavirus. The passengers have been confined to the ship while they await testing by Egyptian health authorities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

I'm  sorry, but when someone posts that they in essence believe that there is some sort of media conspiracy against Princess cruise line, they forfeit any right to a polite response to such idiocy.

That insinuation is almost as ridiculous as that idiotic Trump supporter who was quoted as saying that she doesn't believe that the coronavirus exists and that it is all a big hoax to make Trump look bad.

Not that he needs any help.

Got to agree with you on that last one!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, gmjc2 said:

Obviously we are getting very little International news! 

Hopefully my Transatlantic will not be affected next week! 

Maureen.

Then you should look at an international news site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmjc2 said:

I guess I am naive in thinking the internet is International!! 

You are confusing the internet which is a network of networks with web sites that have news localized to one country to news sites that have international coverage and correspondents and offices all over the world.

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll drag a dead horse just a little farther. I blame, in part, the fact that Princess pre-sets the tables in the Horizon Court with drink ware, does not remove the unused items after someone sits down, leaves those items on the table for the next person, and then wipes off the table with a used cloth napkin. I've seen it, complained about it, and told it's company policy.

I wonder if corporate will change their policy now?

We’ve also seen glassware turned upside down on tables outside near the pool. When someone sits down, the servers fill those same glasses with water etc. When I asked for a new glass and explained why, the server seemed oblivious to the fact that it could be unsanitary. 

19 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Obviously we are getting very little International news! 

Hopefully my Transatlantic will not be affected next week! 

Maureen.

Edited by fishnchips
Removed

3 hours ago, Sir Frances Drake said:

unfortunately its not just Princess

Nile river boat MS River Anuket docks in the city of Luxor in southern Egypt Saturday, March 7, 2020. The ship, carrying some 100 mostly foreign tourists is under quarantine after 12 people tested positive for the new coronavirus. The passengers have been confined to the ship while they await testing by Egyptian health authorities.

Thank you. This helpful information.

6 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I don't know the ship.  My friend just returned from 8 day southern caribbean cruise with Carnival.  He said another ship was denied entry to Aruba; they were told 400 people had fevers

We were supposed to be on Princess last week that would have stopped in Aruba, can you confirm if this was the Crown Princess?   I cancelled for fear of coronavirus. I have not heard this in the news  and I don't know of any other cruise itinerary that would have stopped there last week!  Thank you so much

On 3/6/2020 at 5:21 PM, Doug R. said:

I not have not seen pre-set drinkware on any Horizon Court on all my sailings. I have only seen tables cleaned promptly. This is just more of your well known anti-Princess agenda. 

It is standard practice and I haven’t met any passengers who like it. In fact, at a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet on the Majestic Princess in January, the HGM was asked about it and he said it speeds up drink service. We refuse to use any cups or glasses already set out on the table in the buffet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

It is standard practice and I haven’t met any passengers who like it. In fact, at a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet on the Majestic Princess in January, the HGM was asked about it and he said it speeds up drink service. We refuse to use any cups or glasses already set out on the table in the buffet. 

Hm, is it only at dinner, then?  I haven't seen glasses on the table at lunchtime.  I totally agree that it's problematic.  I'm not crazy about the pre-made silverware burritos being placed on tables, either.  I did notice on the Emerald that they were spraying the tables with something, then wiping them, but again, unless they use a new cloth/wipe every time, it's pointless. 

That said, no land-based restaurant with that high a customer turnover is probably any better.  In fact, here on campus, I've seen some pretty hair-raising practices in various eateries!

11 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

Hm, is it only at dinner, then?  I haven't seen glasses on the table at lunchtime.  I totally agree that it's problematic.  I'm not crazy about the pre-made silverware burritos being placed on tables, either.  I did notice on the Emerald that they were spraying the tables with something, then wiping them, but again, unless they use a new cloth/wipe every time, it's pointless. 

That said, no land-based restaurant with that high a customer turnover is probably any better.  In fact, here on campus, I've seen some pretty hair-raising practices in various eateries!

From my experience, the bulk of this practice usually begins at around 10-11PM in the buffet to preempt the busy breakfast service of the next day. I have not seen it done on all of the fleet's ships regularly, but definitely those with the World Fresh Marketplace setting do. The problems are numerous -- the cups are exposed to whatever is in the air between then and breakfast as well as whatever possible bacteria was left on those tables prior to being set. And of course, people who use the tables at night just push aside the cups and that also already means some contamination. And I personally think that it is likely that there is not a constant supervision of whether any of the cups are compromised between the time they are set and the time the buffet "re-opens," not forgetting that anyone can generally just walk through the buffet at any time through the night. And in the end, from my observations when using the buffet early in the morning, the buffet stewards just collect those cups when a lot of people tend to just avoid using them and stack them together on the side of their tables. It seems like a very imperfect solution to the indeed, real problem, of drink service pace.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Not in Asia or the West Coast. 

Carnival IS in Asia:  https://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/transpacific-cruises/singapore-cruises.aspx AND on the West Coast.  It may not have struck their ships since their pax tend to be younger than those on Princess, HAL, etc.

Corona virus cases are now in about 35 states.  One of the 15 with no reported cases is my home state, Michigan, per the latest map just shown on CNN.  The states not affected are in "clusters" of 3 or more and the clusters are scattered around the US.  Appears to be no "rhyme nor reason" for where it's appearing except perhaps the affected states have had Asian visitors or locals who recently traveled to China, etc.

Edited by BarbinMich

1 hour ago, BarbinMich said:

Carnival IS in Asia:  https://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/transpacific-cruises/singapore-cruises.aspx AND on the West Coast.  It may not have struck their ships since their pax tend to be younger than those on Princess, HAL, etc.

People keep showing me this link, showing zero sailings in Asia.  "No sailings that visit this port are currently available."  I'm still not convinced that Carnival had more ships in Asia than Princess.

As this spreads in Southern California, those Carnival ships will soon be on borrowed time.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, jp2746 said:

I think it has more to do with the age of passengers on Princess.  It caters more to the mature crowd that would go to the infirmary if they were sick.  Younger people may just have a runny nose and fever but would go on about their day.

I think that is accurate.  It may be occurring on other lines but it isn't affecting young people the same.  Princess has an older average passenger age than lines like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival.  They are more likely to be impacted by the disease

3 hours ago, CrankyOldGuy said:

I think that is accurate.  It may be occurring on other lines but it isn't affecting young people the same.  Princess has an older average passenger age than lines like Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival.  They are more likely to be impacted by the disease

Unfortunately the young people may have a milder case but can spread it to others who are more vulnerable.  That is why my family wants us to cancel our cruise next week. Problem is we are not getting any refunds from either the cruise line ( not Princess) or our insurance company unless the govt bans travel to UK.

We understand that these are unprecedented times for Princess and the cruise industry at large. We understand that the cruise industry is going to take a significant earnings hit because of the global impact of the Coronavirus. My concern is that Princess may not be understanding this from the consumer's point of view.

My recent interactions with a Princess Cruises representative was very disappointing. We are older cruisers. The CDC has come out and said, if you are older individuals, don't cruise. We were booked on a 28 day South Pacific cruise out of Los Angeles on April 11. We wanted to accept Princess' 100% future cruise credit and rebook a similar future cruise. Here is what we have found:

1. We booked this particular cruise over a year in advance. We are finding it difficult to find a similar cruise within the time frame that Princess defined for the 100% credit, December 2021. Actually, we can not find any of the aft balconies we love so much, and most of the itineraries are already fully booked.
  2. All of the future itineraries are much more expensive. We paid a significant amount for our 4/11 aft balcony, now for the identical itinerary the cost is more then $2000 addition dollars.
  3. On the 4/11 itinerary, we had cabin credits. These are not transferable.
  4. The cost of cruise insurance is not refundable by Princess and according to the insurance company not applicable for claim.

So, we can't find a similar cruise within the time frame Princess has set for their credit. And, if we could, it would cost us an additional $3200 to go on the same itinerary in the future. My interaction with the Princess representative went a little like this: Sorry, can't help you. Sorry, can't help you with that. No, that is not covered. Sorry, it is what it is. Anything else I can do for you today?  It was enough that I just wanted to tell her to cancel all of my future bookings.

Princess, these are unprecedented times for us as well. We will remain loyal Princess cruisers, until we are not. Princess, you are responsible for the "until we are not" portion of that last comment. I don't know how to solve issues you have, but I do know that some of those "issue solutions" do affect my future decisions. 

• Like 4

My one regret was choosing Princess for this particular cruise.  They have been making one bad decision after another.  No other cruise line has been on the news as much as Princess.  I do not want credit as I will not be cruising with Princess in the future.  I want my money back.

• Like 1