Sky Transatlantic March 6 2020 Almost Live

Clay Clayton

13 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

The other point is that the cruise was 3 days shorter than the cruise we "signed up for." 

These are obviously some very difficult times in the world and I don't think anyone would argue that Viking made the wrong decision in turning back.  And compensation is not top of mind for me and probably not for most of the other passengers.  It hardly seems worth wasting my energy on it when this virus is spreading like wildfire and my retirement accounts are dropping precipitously and everyone's jobs are a whole lot more shaky than they were when I left on the cruise.

But, based on how Viking treated both those who canceled the cruise at the last minute and passengers on other cruises that were disrupted, I think most of us do expect some kind of compensation.  Have not heard anything from Viking yet, but I'm sure they have a lot on their plate.

I'm sure Viking will compensate you at some level because of the company's commitment to customer service.  Viking will not, however, do so because it breached its contract with you -- because it didn't.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I'm sure Viking will compensate you at some level because of the company's commitment to customer service.  Viking will not, however, do so because it breached its contract with you -- because it didn't.

Uhh...I guess I missed the part in my post where I said they did?   

37 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

Uhh...I guess I missed the part in my post where I said they did?   

I didn't say you did.  Another poster said Viking breached the contract, however, and I disagreed.  I'm using your post to reinforce my point.

Edited by DaveSJ711

The Passenger Ticket Contract, which admittedly it seems few people take the time to read, very clearly states:

6. CARRIER’S RIGHTS AND DISCRETION. The Master of the Ship is authorized to take any action deemed necessary for the safety, security, comfort or well-being of any person or to prevent damage to or loss of the Ship. Carrier reserves the right at any time, without notice, to cancel any cruise, change or postpone the date or time of sailing or arrival, change your port of embarkation or disembarkation, provide a different Cabin than the one initially assigned, modify or omit any activity on or off the ship, shorten or lengthen the cruise; change, add or omit ports of call,...

There is more in the same vein. All that said, having been on a cruise (on another line) where our first 2 days were disrupted by returns to US port to remove passengers, and resulted in the loss of a port, that cruise line did compensate us.

I would imagine that Viking will eventually do something for passengers, not because they HAVE to, but because they WANT to. As others have stated, Viking is generally driven to please their customer base. Right now, though, I am sure they are inundated and it will take some time.

• Like 2

Viking could have cancelled this cruise altogether in light of what was going on.  By deciding to sail, we trusted that all would be well and we would reach Barcelona. Yes the decision to turn around was a good one. The decision to sail in the first place was not. 

11 hours ago, deec said:

WOW ...$10,000  you were going to spend a LONG time and 5star hotels in Europe!  Will no one refund your deposits? 

Reservations for 5 weeks in Europe for 2: 4 local plane flights plus 2 transatlantic flights in business class plus 5 weeks of AirBNB and car rental, all paid in advance = 10K.

Reservations for 5 weeks in Europe for 2: 4 local plane flights plus 2 transatlantic flights in business class plus 5 weeks of AirBNB and car rental, all paid in advance = 10K.

Major Airlines, Hotels and Airbnb have all waived cancellation/refund penalties

Sent from my iPad using Forums

18 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

Major Airlines, Hotels and Airbnb have all waived cancellation/refund penalties

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try it. I am busy since two days and some want to give me a voucher for within 2 months, others don't reply.

For example, AirBNB: I got about a 30% refund on a few, nothing on the others. Icelandair, Iberia, Brussels Airline = zero refund.

Anyway, that is off topic.

I should not have used the word contract but said instead that "it was not the deal I expected" and I repeat, no bad feelings towards Viking.

It appears from reading some of these posts, that losing all sense of being a rational person is lost to exposure to Covid-19.

Spain and Europe has been in shutdown mode since you arrived back safely in the USA.  Viking arranged your transport home.

And lucky you, stuck in your home with "busy" work.

Why all those attacks on people who politely replied to a simple question? Nobody blamed Viking, we are simply stating that we would like a gesture from Viking to compensate for a shortened cruise that did not end up where we were supposed to go.

Chill as jonthomas wrote.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jacquesmm said:

Why all those attacks on people who politely replied to a simple question? Nobody blamed Viking, we are simply stating that we would like a gesture from Viking to compensate for a shortened cruise that did not end up where we were supposed to go.

Chill as jonthomas wrote.

Actually, you accused Viking of breach of contract - so you did blame the company.

You know folks, everyone in the world is under a lot of stress right now due to the pandemic.  I recognize that sometimes that causes people to "act out" as they say, and behave in ways they ordinarily would not.  But let's all do our best to act with kindness toward others rather than hostility.

• Like 3

This topic was created for those of us who found ourselves in this situation,  so that we could support and  communicate with each other. Please continue to do so. I will refrain from addressing anyone who does not do so politely and with helpful/good intentions. 

This topic was created for those of us who found ourselves in this situation,  so that we could support and  communicate with each other. Please continue to do so. I will refrain from addressing anyone who does not do so politely and with helpful/good intentions. 
Agreed.

Clay started and kept a wonderful live thread of this cruise, and unfortunately it's devolved into a ... I don't know what.

Thank you Clay and the others who experienced this cruise for letting the rest of us follow along on your unexpected journey.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Definitely a Thank You to Clay. 

Lets try and ignore anyone who gets us off topic here. I am guilty of that as well. 

Looking forward to hearing from those of you who were on this cruise. Please don't be deterred by those who were 

not on it but  make nasty remarks.

Wow! I leave for a few days to try to express buy/dumpster dive/barter for furnishing for our new place and finding groceries before we self isolate and come back to find an argument! 😢.  Much more important that we help each other out at this awful time.  But....

Just to clarify my position, all I expect from Viking is a refund of 3/14s Of what we’ve paid. Anything above that is great and will obviously be welcomed. My issue which I expressed to the management aboard was the lack of transparency for those of us aboard when cruises were canceled.  We all received  a copy of Mr Hagen’s letter and his video was shown in the theatre and on the inroom television. Compensation was discussed two different ways in those and many (most?) aboard thought they were receiving the same as those whose cruises were canceled prior to embarkation. When I started to hear folks discussing their 125% vouchers, I asked at Guest Services and was surprised when they said they did not know how we were to be compensated for the portion of the cruise we were missing (not ports, not final location-just duration). Frankly I was surprised and discussed this with the Hotel General Manager who gave me the same answer- “Viking would be in touch shortly after we returned home”  He was surprised when I reported that some aboard had been told they qualified for the announced options and promised to look into it for me. I later was informed that the original information I had been told was correct and that any other information was incorrect. So, again, I don’t have an issue with whatever Viking decides to do-they are a business and will do whatever is in their overall best interest. What I find disappointing is that they were able to immediately tell a large number of passengers (5 ships x 900 passengers x 4 sailings? = 18,000 guests) immediately what their plan was, but could not tell the 2,600 or so passengers currently at sea the plan for them. As I said, I expressed that disappointment and will do so again if asked but until I hear from Viking, I’m keeping my good thoughts about them!  The officers and crew provided us with great friendly service throughout the cruise which had to be hard since they didn’t know where they were going to be in a week or three-and I’m sure none expects to be anchored off of Fort Lauderdale !

I will say that like jacquesmm we had two months of hotels, Airbnbs, tours and return air all booked. So far, it appears that the domestic airfare is going to be refunded under the EU 261/2004 air regulations-just have to wait for each airline to actually cancel the flights. Also, AirBnB initially only refunded a portion of the costs but I received an email yesterday (after many messages to their help desk) that they would be providing full refunds. Also as sights have closed (Alhambra, Wimbledon, Windsor Castle) I have been recieving notifications that refunds will be issued. So Jacques-I hope you will not be out your full amount.  From what I can read from The Points Guy and similar-dont cancel your flights-make them do it. 

To all who have expressed thanks-I was just paying it forward and hope that we will all soon have the opportunity to cruise again soon!

Beat wishes to stay healthy and “wash yo’hands!”

• Like 2