Jump to content

Who is planning to cancel? Who is planning to get OBC?


Recommended Posts

I am cruising at the end of the month and booked just this past week.  For entertainment value (and to occupy a stale work afternoon) I went through mock bookings on my sailing.  At a minimum (since only 10 rooms are shown as available online) there are 178 open cabins on my cruise.  But with over 1900 cabins that's only ~10% that have cancelled.  I will be interested to see actual figures on current sailings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed two weeks ago. If anybody canceled, it was not apparent. Normal lines and crowds. Besides the additional questionnaire during check-in concerning symptoms, recent travels and/or exposure to the virus, everything proceeded as usual. Once on the ship, the virus wasn't even mentioned. We didn't give it much thought. If I hadn't been watching the news, I would've never known that this is going on. 

Edited by Tapi
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm planning on canceling.  My husband and I are both considered in the high risk category.  He is a type 1 diabetic and I'm on meds for my rheumatoid arthritis. 

While I know not going doesn't guarantee not getting Covis-19, the thought of being restricted to our room and then quarantined at some military base sounds like a nightmare.  Just not a chance we are willing to take considering our underlying medical conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, momof3hungryboys said:

I'm planning on canceling.  My husband and I are both considered in the high risk category.  He is a type 1 diabetic and I'm on meds for my rheumatoid arthritis. 

While I know not going doesn't guarantee not getting Covis-19, the thought of being restricted to our room and then quarantined at some military base sounds like a nightmare.  Just not a chance we are willing to take considering our underlying medical conditions.

If I was in your situation I would likely cancel as well.  My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and it has really weakened her immune system.  She would definitely be high risk.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are scheduled to sail in June and I have type 1 diabetes so I guess I am considered high risk, but I am in my mid 30s and otherwise healthy so I have no intentions of cancelling. I just plan to take two extra vials of insulin and two additional weeks worth of pump/CGM supplies just to be safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked in December so no plans for us to cancel.  However, friends of ours were scheduled to sail on March 22 and are cancelling today.  They are cancelling because of the fear they could get quaranteened on the ship for 2 weeks not for fear of getting the virus.  Quite frankly if this was next year at this time, after I retire in January, we would be looking to book a cheap cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were supposed to be leaving on Thursday for a 4 night cruise.  
 

We were leaving our toddler at home with in laws. We postponed until May. We aren’t afraid of the virus or getting the virus.  
 

We were concerned of an over concerned government quarantining our boat on its return and delaying our getting home.  
 

So we punted until May when hopefully the world will have returned to its senses.  

Edited by Jthomasou
Link to post
Share on other sites

April 4 - I(50) so want to go, husband(48) has chronic asthma, daughter(18) has history of pneumonia as a child and with the swine flu in '09...  we're watching the situation closely.  Cancelled flights to cut down on risk and are driving to Port Canaveral.  I feel like the cruise ship may be a safer place than our local costco or kroger or even church.  At least all passengers will be screened and all surfaces sanitized continuously... plus, I will do my part in sanitizing too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We were sailing on the Panorama this Saturday but cancelled a couple of days ago.  I am a huge planner and have been looking forward to this trip for a year, so it really pained me to cancel.  Canada has issued a level 4 travel advisory for all cruise ships so we are looking into the possibility of insurance covering our out of pocket expenses.  We have an 11 year old and did not want to risk getting quarantined.  We still have a southern California trip planned with a flight leaving in 3 days unless a travel advisory is made for southern California.  My sister and her husband are in Rome right now on a 3 month trip, with one month left to go.  They are at the airport,  trying to get a flight out today.  Very stressful!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 7:22 PM, travelling_txgal said:

Sailing on Sunday out of Galveston. Gladly accepting our OBC. I refuse to follow the mass hysteria. Follow universal precautions and enjoy yourself. Can spend my life paranoid. 

Totally agree!  Be smart, wash your hands, all about common sense.  Do not let fear stop you from living.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have lots of offers, even for free inside cabins, but we're not gonna book anything now!

We got a June cruise booked before this virus news broke, that we'll wait until the beginning of May to see how its going!

We are early 60's, mid 50's and healthy, but our thinking is there will be plenty of future cruises to take, so we're siding with 'better safe then sorry' with risking our health!

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on Mediterranean Cruise May 30, but haven't heard anything from Carnival about OBC or New Itinerary or Cancellation yet, which is ridiculous since it seems they are only giving to March 31 to make the cancellations. I'm not sure what we'll do, waiting to see the choices. Not really afraid of COVID19, but would hate to be quarantined somewhere, especially since we have another non-cruise trip scheduled 10 days after we return, which we would end up possibly missing as well. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled and re-booked my May cruise for the end of next March. Would rather have been able to book for May again but as per the cancellation letter we had to sail by the end of March.

Aside from the obvious possibility of getting sick, I can't take the chance of being stuck on the ship and really don't want to get turned away from any ports of call.

Hopefully this will all be behind us by then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...