Jump to content

Who is planning to cancel? Who is planning to get OBC?


Recommended Posts

We are booked for a March 28 cruise out of Miami. 

Like a lot of others, my main concern is the risk of being quarantined and stuck on the ship for days (or weeks) after our cruise. We are in our 40s and healthy, I totally get the higher concerns of those in a bigger risk group. 

I hope in the next couple of weeks they figure out a better solution than a whole ship quarantine. It does seem though, at least, that it has only happened to a couple of ships that we have heard about. There have to be dozens of cruise ships starting and finishing between all of the ports they operate out of. 

At this point we have no intention of canceling unless the decision is made for us. With the OBC I am looking forward to finally trying out the steakhouse! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been excited for a year for my March 28 cruise on the Panorama!I have not been worried about the virus as I think they are doing a great sanitation job. HOWEVER after the guests this weekend being delayed disembarking for 24 hours over ONE person the hospital decided to test..I am thinking maybe I will cancel. With airlines traveling full and over full these days all I can see is a NIGHTMARE changing and trying to rebook a flight out of LA to Spokane when there are not that many airlines coming here! I can see us getting stuck in LA for days! With carnival now giving credits for another cruise I guess it might be wise to cancel and rebook. Anyone else with these thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IDKaren said:

I have been excited for a year for my March 28 cruise on the Panorama!I have not been worried about the virus as I think they are doing a great sanitation job. HOWEVER after the guests this weekend being delayed disembarking for 24 hours over ONE person the hospital decided to test..I am thinking maybe I will cancel. With airlines traveling full and over full these days all I can see is a NIGHTMARE changing and trying to rebook a flight out of LA to Spokane when there are not that many airlines coming here! I can see us getting stuck in LA for days! With carnival now giving credits for another cruise I guess it might be wise to cancel and rebook. Anyone else with these thoughts?

Lots of people cancelling their flight reservations too, airlines are waiving cancellation fees in many cases. I’m strongly considering cancelling my cruise in April, I don’t think we’ve seen the worst of this here in the states yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, IDKaren said:

I have been excited for a year for my March 28 cruise on the Panorama!I have not been worried about the virus as I think they are doing a great sanitation job. HOWEVER after the guests this weekend being delayed disembarking for 24 hours over ONE person the hospital decided to test..I am thinking maybe I will cancel. With airlines traveling full and over full these days all I can see is a NIGHTMARE changing and trying to rebook a flight out of LA to Spokane when there are not that many airlines coming here! I can see us getting stuck in LA for days! With carnival now giving credits for another cruise I guess it might be wise to cancel and rebook. Anyone else with these thoughts?

The Panorama will be doing the same itinerary at least until the end of the year, so completely logical to postpone your trip.  Actually the weather may be a little better if you do go later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are on the April 11 sailing. Spring Break.  Had been looking forward to this cruise.   We are also still planning to go.  Group of about 14 family and friends, some over 60, but will be watching events as they unfold.  Know some health care professionals and virus is basically a bad cold.  If you are old and have other issues you should be concerned.  Potential quarantine of 2 weeks is a major problem.  According to CDC 10/1/2019 to 2/29/2020 there has been an estimated 20,000 to 52,000 flu deaths in USA..  Not sure if this really is the black death or reason for such high anxiety unless we are not being told everything.  Virus is here to stay and not going to disappear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are booked on Panorama,  May 2nd.  We were going to wait and see.  But after the Gov't warnings,  I think we will be canceling this week.  We are in our 60' and dont see any sense in taking unnecessary risks.  I don't think this thing is going to blow over quickly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DH and I are sailing on the Legend out of NYC  May 16th  for 9 days to Caribbean. I'm taking the $200.00 OBC  and bringing Purell and Clorox/Lysol wipes.

Not concerned yet about our Pride cruise 11/1/20. Hopefully, a lot will have been worked out by then.

 

Karen

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were absolutely planning on sailing this Saturday March 14th.  Given the state department warnings and all the fluidity of this situation we are cancelling.  I know this virus is here to stay, but I want to give the government a chance to figure out how they will treat and respond to future cruise quarantines.  Everyone (cruise authorities, government, healthcare, etc.) is learning from each situation.  I just don't want to be amongst the first few cruise ships to get quarantined.  

 

I'm scared for the cruise ship industry.  We LOVE to cruise!  It's by far our favorite vacation.  My kids are 11, 11, 10 and they have been on 19 cruises....yes thats how much we love it.  I'm so very sad to see this happening.  I wish all cruise lines the best during this time.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2020 at 8:37 PM, Globetrotter21 said:


@beacha if you were in your 30’s would you still go as an MD?

Globetrotter21, we didn’t have any money for a cruise while in our 30s 😁.  We took our first cruise at age 42. If I had children at home during this time, I probably wouldn’t go due to the chance of quarantine. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until the State Department warning was issued we had not seriously considered cancelling.  In this rapidly changing environment we are now in a wait and see mode.

 

This particular cruise is a very big deal for me for several reasons and that might be clouding my judgment.  I may leave it entirely up to my daughter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Joe817 said:

For the first time, my wife and I briefly mentioned about the possibility of cancelling. I'm 72(will be 73 at time of sailing) and wife is 70. Our daughter is extremely concerned, and urged us to cancel. But our sailing is not until Sept. 13. Still 6 months out. A LOT can happen between now and then. We are in a holding pattern for at least 2-3 months. Cruise is already paid in full, plus we bought FTTF. Wait and see. uggghhh.  Come on hot weather! 🙏

I'm booked in September as well.  I'm traveling with my mother who is in her late seventies and an aunt who is in her early seventies.  I'm not concerned at all.  We have 6 months.  So much can happen between now and then.  I think if it is still an issue by then, we will have no choice in the matter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are scheduled to sail a week from today (3/16) on the Dream out of Galveston. We live in Texas and will be driving to the port. So far, there hasn't been much reported virus activity in Texas or the Caribbean side of Mexico, so it seems like we should be OK. We have a balcony cabin, so I guess a quarantine wouldn't be as bad as it could be otherwise. My husband is taking his work laptop in case we get stuck. I'll be out of luck with my job as I can't work remotely, but we could survive without a couple of weeks of my income. 

 

At this point, we are planning to sail. Hope not too much else goes sideways in the next week that forces us to change our minds.

Edited by TravelGirlinDallas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, IDKaren said:

I have been excited for a year for my March 28 cruise on the Panorama!I have not been worried about the virus as I think they are doing a great sanitation job. HOWEVER after the guests this weekend being delayed disembarking for 24 hours over ONE person the hospital decided to test..I am thinking maybe I will cancel. With airlines traveling full and over full these days all I can see is a NIGHTMARE changing and trying to rebook a flight out of LA to Spokane when there are not that many airlines coming here! I can see us getting stuck in LA for days! With carnival now giving credits for another cruise I guess it might be wise to cancel and rebook. Anyone else with these thoughts?

We are on that same cruise.  I agree the bigger hassle would be the rescheduling of flights if we were delayed getting off the ship.  We fly out on Sunday so that would gives a little wiggle room.  Right now we have no intentions of cancelling.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Countrygurl said:

I'm booked in September as well.  I'm traveling with my mother who is in her late seventies and an aunt who is in her early seventies.  I'm not concerned at all.  We have 6 months.  So much can happen between now and then.  I think if it is still an issue by then, we will have no choice in the matter.

I agree, 6 months from now this will all likely be a distant memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2020 at 7:43 PM, seven_37 said:

Got the letter this AM.  We sail on the Dream out of Galveston on the 16th of March.  We're holding tight for now and expecting a full cancellation from Carnival, but if not we will probably consider rescheduling with the 'FCC' if no movement from Carnival this next week.  I've been home all week with a sick child - high fever, aches, chills, negative-flu/strep/etc, two pediatrician visits this week +CBC and chest x-ray and no idea what it is.  Second child had the same thing two weeks ago and developed pneumonia.  COVID19 is here, we just don't know about it yet.  Don't really want to risk being quarantined in a small cabin for who knows how long.  We've got work and school to attend and a business to run so can't be stuck on a ship beyond Spring Break.

Was it in the form of a mailed letter or an email from Carnival?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Grannygirl21 said:

Was it in the form of a mailed letter or an email from Carnival?

No, it was the email that others have referred to last week regarding the option of the OBC (onboard credit) or the FCC (future cruise credit).  At this point, I suspect we'd be denied boarding due to exposure.  I'm curious to see what happens over the next couple of days, especially after the US State Department has issued a statement warning about cruise travel.  I'd really like to ensure we get maximum flexibility as a result of us having to back out or Carnival outright cancelling... and to me that looks like a full refund issued instead of our money being tied up in some future credit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

We are sailing april 19th, but as of yet I have not received the email from carnival. Could it be because I paid in full when I booked back in January?

Not likely.  I just received mine Saturday and we sail March 28.  Our friends on the same cruise have not received their email as of yet.  The OBC is automatically put oto your S & S account.  Not sure how to handle the cancellation part of it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm booked on a solo cruise on the Paradise Apr 16th - a short 4-night to Cozumel.  I'm not worried about the coronavirus as much as the possibility of being quarantined for two weeks in an inside Cat 1A cabin.  Even though I would take extra meds and several books, that would still be like being inside a dark prison cell with no windows, doing laundry in the sink, etc.  I'm sure I could survive the ordeal, but why take that risk in the first place?  At the moment, I'm still undecided as to go or not go.  Will continue watching current events to see what unfolds.  It would be nice if Carnival would simply offer a full cancellation refund instead of using a Future Cruise Credit for a different cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...