Jump to content

Who is planning to cancel? Who is planning to get OBC?


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

I'm booked on a solo cruise on the Paradise Apr 16th - a short 4-night to Cozumel.  I'm not worried about the coronavirus as much as the possibility of being quarantined for two weeks in an inside Cat 1A cabin.  Even though I would take extra meds and several books, that would still be like being inside a dark prison cell with no windows, doing laundry in the sink, etc.  I'm sure I could survive the ordeal, but why take that risk in the first place?  At the moment, I'm still undecided as to go or not go.  Will continue watching current events to see what unfolds.  It would be nice if Carnival would simply offer a full cancellation refund instead of using a Future Cruise Credit for a different cruise. 

I agree on the full refund and wonder if that is coming shortly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greetings,

We were booked on Panorama for March 21st. sailing. We live 15mins. from the port so no airlines were involved. In our 70's so we cancelled the cruise. WE have been on 25 cruises around the world, nothing has ever happened. With that being said and as a Viet Nam Vet there was an old saying, " When you least expect it....your elected....." Better safe than sorry. Good Luck to those that sail.

 

charliealpha1

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CTSwimCoach said:

I agree on the full refund and wonder if that is coming shortly.

I agree, if people are choosing to cancel they should be given a full refund not FCC.  This way their money is there to do what they want with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am planning to sail on 3/21 on the Breeze, as of right now.  I do not feel I am in any worse danger there than on the NYC Subway.

 

Plus, I am not in a high risk category, I have 520 sick hours accrued, and can work from anywhere with a laptop and a wifi signal.  This is obviously not everyone's luxury...I am in an extreme minority here.  But I'm holding out till the end here.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, IDKaren said:

I have been excited for a year for my March 28 cruise on the Panorama!I have not been worried about the virus as I think they are doing a great sanitation job. HOWEVER after the guests this weekend being delayed disembarking for 24 hours over ONE person the hospital decided to test..I am thinking maybe I will cancel. With airlines traveling full and over full these days all I can see is a NIGHTMARE changing and trying to rebook a flight out of LA to Spokane when there are not that many airlines coming here! I can see us getting stuck in LA for days! With carnival now giving credits for another cruise I guess it might be wise to cancel and rebook. Anyone else with these thoughts?

I actually don't think you have to worry about full airlines right now...anyone I know who has had to fly for work is reporting planes not more than half full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, HakunaMatada said:

We are sailing april 19th, but as of yet I have not received the email from carnival. Could it be because I paid in full when I booked back in January?

It does not matter whether you received the e-mail,  your cruise is in the time frame so the new cancellation policy applies. I called last Friday to cancel and rebook after hearing about the change and I didn’t get the e-mail until later. My cruise was April 4th.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, nissach said:

I agree, if people are choosing to cancel they should be given a full refund not FCC.  This way their money is there to do what they want with it.

While I applaud Carnival for extending an offer to cruisers, the FCC really does not work for our family.  Our cruise was booked around a college school schedule for 4 people.  We were set to cruise May 10th.  If I take the FCC and rebook for June or July, the prices are double what we paid costing $1,000 more out of pocket for the same trip.  The only other  time we possibly could go would be next March, but again, same cruise costs $1,000 more.  Wish they would just give us a FCC with no expiration.  I know we will cruise again and would love to use the FCC when it best works for us and not in a time frame with a deadline.  Of course, a full refund would be the best case scenario.  Now that the US State Department is urging people not to go, I fear that in the coming weeks or months other measures may take place to prevent people from cruising.  For those of you waiting to make your minds up whether or not to take the FCC what do you think with happen after March 31st?  Do you think Carnival will put another offer in place?

Edited by bellagirl5
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I called my PVP and cancel my April 11 Panorama Cruise out of Long Beach. Wife and I aren't concerned about the virus but we are concerned about quarantine. 14 days on a ship locked in a room, missing ports due to security concerns and 14 additional days after you return is not my idea of vacation.

 

We were flying from New Jersey and being on the plane for 5hrs+ is also a concern.

We received ~55% back on cash and the rest will go into FCC which I'm planning to use once this craziness is over.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, CharmCity2000 said:

I happened to book yesterday for an April 4 cruise on the Vista.  I haven’t seen a letter yet.  I wonder if you had to have booked earlier.

I think you had to have booked by 3/6/2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My GF and I, our kids, and a group of co-workers are sailing March 30th on the Liberty. I'm not concerned about cruising and I still want to go, but many in our group are now very concerned and want to get together to discuss still going. Like many have mentioned...the biggest concern of our group is getting quarantined on the ship and then later elsewhere for 14 days like the Princess ship in CA. I've told some of them that there's probably less chance of getting it on the ship than at Walmart, Disneyworld, etc. with all the cleaning, employees serving buffet items, etc. being done on the ships. They've all replied that the ships ventilation systems aren't the greatest and can make it worse. The news isn't helping with all the talk about cruise ships even though we've only heard a few mentioned out of the few hundred sailing every day. Was reading news articles today about the new cases where a Walmart employee, Uber driver, teacher, and flight attendant have now tested positive so it spreading into the communities.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nissach said:

I agree, if people are choosing to cancel they should be given a full refund not FCC.  This way their money is there to do what they want with it.

Me, too.  We booked a Havana Suite for an April 4 sailing with friends, so the amount we've spent is pretty substantial ($5K+) for one cabin.  We already have our vacations planned and paid for through the remainder of this year and a big trip to Africa scheduled next year.  I don't think I can fit in a cruise in the timeline that they are giving us to reschedule.  I'd much rather just have the money back.  As of now, we are taking the wait and see approach and will make a final decision next weekend.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until yesterday we were absolutely planning to sail on our May 25th 9-day cruise. But the State Dept warning has us changing our minds - not for ourselves, but because my late-70s parents live with us and my dad has leukemia. So if we bring a bug home and give it to him, it could easily kill him.

 

We're looking at re-booking to late July, just to give this some time to hopefully die down with warmer weather and give the industry and ports time to get protocols in place. I've been trying to get through to Carnival this morning, but I keep getting a recording that their phone system is down and to call back later. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/6/2020 at 8:27 PM, luv2trvlnow said:

But we are also in our late 60's and early 70's  We are therefore in a more susceptible group.  We still have 2 other cruises planned.  This was just a quick 5 day cruise.  Our others are an 11 day European cruise next year and a 14 day journey cruise shortly after that.  Since we had "cancel for any reason" insurance we are only out $75.  The loss is small.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jjcruise2 said:

Did you have your insurance through Carnival? 

No we had our insurance through insure my trip.  In fact they are no longer selling that particular policy with the 'cancel for any reason".  We booked and purchased our cruise at the beginning of December before all of this became known.  Then we cancelled just before Carnival changed their cancellation policy.  So our penalty was the deposit of $300 since it was a 5 day cruise.  With cancel for any reason we will get back $225 (75%).  Not much to pay to for the peace of mind of not being quarantined.  Not as worried about catching it, even though we are in the age group they are warning about we don't have any underlying conditions.  But our oldest son does have conditions.  We are a small family.  All parents have died and we only have our 2 sons. I have no bothers or sisters.  My husband has a couple of brothers that both have series heart problems.

 

Our other future cruises also have "cancel for any reason" but through a different insurance company but still through insure my trip.  We always purchase our insurance within 2 weeks of booking a cruise.  The policies we pick don't cost much more than those without cancel for any reason.  Our premiums are already on the higher side since we are older.

 

I believe Carnival's cancel for any reason gives you a future cruise credit not cash back.  I prefer the cash back.  They also don't have the same level of coverage for medical and evacuation as outside insurers offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those of you holding out on a full refund from Carnival, do you realize that there is no way any of the cruise lines are liquid enough to issue full cash refunds for every passenger over the next few months?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J0urn3yman said:

I called my PVP and cancel my April 11 Panorama Cruise out of Long Beach. Wife and I aren't concerned about the virus but we are concerned about quarantine. 14 days on a ship locked in a room, missing ports due to security concerns and 14 additional days after you return is not my idea of vacation.

 

We were flying from New Jersey and being on the plane for 5hrs+ is also a concern.

We received ~55% back on cash and the rest will go into FCC which I'm planning to use once this craziness is over.

I was wondering if you get back part in cash and the rest as an FCC.  My wife and I are taking our 2 kids and another 3 of the kid's friends.  The other 3 kids parents were paying their fair.  I wasn't sure how the FCC offer would work.  I guess we can just take the money and pay the friend's parents back and use the rest for a future cruise if we decide not to go.

 

Of course, I've been trying to get through to Carnival for a couple of hours with no luck so I can find out my choices for sure when I get through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, rudoja00 said:

For those of you holding out on a full refund from Carnival, do you realize that there is no way any of the cruise lines are liquid enough to issue full cash refunds for every passenger over the next few months?


Im not going to lie, part of the reason (very small part but the thought was there) I don’t want a FCC is that it could be useless to me in a few months depending on how things go. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we just cancelled our 3/14 sailing of the Panorama.

what a nightmare..my wife is doing it; but it sounds like we got really screwed.

instead of sailing with a $200 OBC for this cruise (already paying $2436 all in for cruise + tax/fees + grats)

we moved it to 3/17/21; and now OWE $198 more!

Even though the booking details show this new booking being $400 LESS.

i really wish my wife wouldn’t have jumped the gun; technically we’re losing out on $200 OBC + paying extra $198...hell $400 would have bought her four extra days off work if we WERE to be quarantined, haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...