Who is planning to cancel? Who is planning to get OBC?

1 hour ago, rudoja00 said:

For those of you holding out on a full refund from Carnival, do you realize that there is no way any of the cruise lines are liquid enough to issue full cash refunds for every passenger over the next few months?

How do you figure? There is something called Line of Credit.

37 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

instead of sailing with a $200 OBC for this cruise (already paying $2436 all in for cruise + tax/fees + grats)

we moved it to 3/17/21; and now OWE $198 more!

Keep an eye on price drops. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudoja00 said:

For those of you holding out on a full refund from Carnival, do you realize that there is no way any of the cruise lines are liquid enough to issue full cash refunds for every passenger over the next few months?

False.. This could only happen if they declare bankruptcy 

A few months back I booked a carnival cruise through Expedia.  It is a 7 day Bahamas departing in May.  Would I also qualify for the OBC or FCC if I reschedule prior to March 31st? Since I didn’t book direct with carnival.  Also, would I contact Expedia or directly with Carnival?  I apologize for the questions but this was my first time booking a cruise and I have  had no luck getting thru due to heavy call volumes and just wanted to know my options and who I have to contact.  Thanks in advance!

On the April 4 Horizon 8-day.  Planning to cancel.  Can't afford to be stuck for 14 days if something happens (work, school, etc).

Anyone know (through experience) if the replacement cruise needs to be booked at the same time you cancel.  Or can I just cancel now and book another cruise at some point in the future?  THANKS

9 minutes ago, cfromMI said:

On the April 4 Horizon 8-day.  Planning to cancel.  Can't afford to be stuck for 14 days if something happens (work, school, etc).

Anyone know (through experience) if the replacement cruise needs to be booked at the same time you cancel.  Or can I just cancel now and book another cruise at some point in the future?  THANKS

It has been confirmed on here that you do not need to rebook at the time you cancel. The FCC can be used for any sailing before March 31, 2021. I cancelled and rebooked on Friday because I moved it to a July sailing and wanted to grab my desired cabins. After this weekend that probably wasn’t necessary but I am glad it is done. Good luck! 

5 hours ago, SemperFi_Cruiser said:

I'm booked on a solo cruise on the Paradise Apr 16th - a short 4-night to Cozumel.  I'm not worried about the coronavirus as much as the possibility of being quarantined for two weeks in an inside Cat 1A cabin.  Even though I would take extra meds and several books, that would still be like being inside a dark prison cell with no windows, doing laundry in the sink, etc.  I'm sure I could survive the ordeal, but why take that risk in the first place?  At the moment, I'm still undecided as to go or not go.  Will continue watching current events to see what unfolds.  It would be nice if Carnival would simply offer a full cancellation refund instead of using a Future Cruise Credit for a different cruise. 

I don't typically quote my own posts, but I wanted to post again with my former message in context.  I live in Florida.  The Governor's office has declared a state of emergency over the coronavirus and is urging people not to travel unless absolutely necessary.  In addition, the State Department and the Center for Disease Control are telling people specifically "not to take a cruise," period.  In light of these events, one would hope that Carnival will step up to the plate and offer fully refundable cancellations, instead of holding currently booked passengers hostage to a future cruise credit instead of allowing them to cancel without a penalty.  In my case, I booked this cruise at a very good low fare, and a future cruise credit wouldn't even come close to the cost of another cruise down the road.  Let's hope Carnival thinks more of their passengers than those future bookings and steps up to the plate on this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LaRue1975 said:

It has been confirmed on here that you do not need to rebook at the time you cancel. The FCC can be used for any sailing before March 31, 2021. I cancelled and rebooked on Friday because I moved it to a July sailing and wanted to grab my desired cabins. After this weekend that probably wasn’t necessary but I am glad it is done. Good luck! 

THANKS!!!!

4 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

Until yesterday we were absolutely planning to sail on our May 25th 9-day cruise. But the State Dept warning has us changing our minds - not for ourselves, but because my late-70s parents live with us and my dad has leukemia. So if we bring a bug home and give it to him, it could easily kill him.

We are also on the same Carnival Sunrise cruise as you.  May 25 out of NYC.  We are in our early 70s in pretty good health.  March 27, 2020 we have another cruise from Baltimore for 8 days on the Grandeur OTS.  Still have not canceled this one. With both of these cruises we drive to the port or take a bus. Waiting to see what develops.  We also have a cruise in October RT from Venice with Celebrity.  It's a ways off.  So we are not panicking about this cruise.

The worry I am having now is the 3/31 deadline.  I really wish it were a little longer, even another two weeks.  Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I feel like a lot can happen, EITHER direction, in two months.  I don't feel like I'm going to actually know by 3/31.  Oh well..will drag the decision out as long as I can.  I guess I'm waiting to see how things are looking over the next few weeks..if more ships are having trouble/people are getting quarantined, or if things seem to be going along okay.  

We are all focused on the handful of ships that have had problems, but in reality, a LOT of sailings have been going along just fine since this all blew up.  

And...I WANNA GO ON MY CRUISE DAMMIT!

/cry

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, layteacher said:

I too am waiting to closer to march 31st since my cruise is April 5th.  I just wonder what the phone lines will be like on March 30 and March 31st since so many are waiting. I want to go on my cruise !!!

It can be done online.  Go to your Booking order and Details, then right below the listed names it has a link to view balance details.  At the bottom of that page, click on view cancellation information.  No way I am going to even attempt to call them later this month!  (at least I hope not!)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

So we just cancelled our 3/14 sailing of the Panorama.

what a nightmare..my wife is doing it; but it sounds like we got really screwed.

instead of sailing with a $200 OBC for this cruise (already paying $2436 all in for cruise + tax/fees + grats)

we moved it to 3/17/21; and now OWE $198 more!

Even though the booking details show this new booking being $400 LESS.

i really wish my wife wouldn’t have jumped the gun; technically we’re losing out on $200 OBC + paying extra $198...hell $400 would have bought her four extra days off work if we WERE to be quarantined, haha

Is the $2436 the cruise fare, the amount without anything extra/taxes/port charges etc? I know I have seen a lot of people post, both here and on FB saying they didn't get the correct amount and then realized they did. So the $200 isn't considered because it was only if you continued on to cruise. For me, I paid $1987, but my FCC will only be for $1448, the difference of $539 (taxes/fees/gratuities) will be refunded to my credit card. You would be paying for all the your taxes/fees's all over, it's not going to be a part of your FCC, but the previously paid fees will be refunded to you. Was this how you looked at it? 

We sail Saturday on the Breeze and aren't cancelling.  My understanding is the virus will be back every year (more dormant in hot weather), so no point in waiting as it could just get worse.  I am curious however, for those who do  re book, what happens to your money if you cannot go on the rebooked cruise?   We book far out many times, but with the comfort of knowing it can be cancelled or changed before the 90 day window.   How does that work in this situation when using a FCC?

Edited by Shynook11

On 3/6/2020 at 6:22 PM, shof515 said:

that is how i feel as another new yorker that is also sailing on the legend in may

We are leaving out of Fort Lauderdale April 25 have no plans on canceling can catch it in the grocery stores or anywhere else you go not living my life in fear and locking myself in a bubble 

48 minutes ago, TakeMeAway1001 said:

Is the $2436 the cruise fare, the amount without anything extra/taxes/port charges etc? I know I have seen a lot of people post, both here and on FB saying they didn't get the correct amount and then realized they did. So the $200 isn't considered because it was only if you continued on to cruise. For me, I paid $1987, but my FCC will only be for $1448, the difference of $539 (taxes/fees/gratuities) will be refunded to my credit card. You would be paying for all the your taxes/fees's all over, it's not going to be a part of your FCC, but the previously paid fees will be refunded to you. Was this how you looked at it? 

So; this:

Looks like they transferred over the taxes/fees and the gratuities; however the forced me to pay the $198 deposit on this new cruise booking, and they haven’t said anything about any FCC...but I’m GUESSING they’ll give me a FCC of $2008; which would then be applied to my new cruise fair of $1408 ($1606 minus the $198 they made me pay); which would cause me $600 overage; which they said maxes out with $500 OBC; so I’d forefit $100

B8F31128-CB30-446E-9901-24FAFC8D3F27.png

55074AE9-CC7F-4507-AA8F-AC18959581A9.png

7 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

No we had our insurance through insure my trip.  In fact they are no longer selling that particular policy with the 'cancel for any reason".  We booked and purchased our cruise at the beginning of December before all of this became known.  Then we cancelled just before Carnival changed their cancellation policy.  So our penalty was the deposit of $300 since it was a 5 day cruise.  With cancel for any reason we will get back $225 (75%).  Not much to pay to for the peace of mind of not being quarantined.  Not as worried about catching it, even though we are in the age group they are warning about we don't have any underlying conditions.  But our oldest son does have conditions.  We are a small family.  All parents have died and we only have our 2 sons. I have no bothers or sisters.  My husband has a couple of brothers that both have series heart problems.

Our other future cruises also have "cancel for any reason" but through a different insurance company but still through insure my trip.  We always purchase our insurance within 2 weeks of booking a cruise.  The policies we pick don't cost much more than those without cancel for any reason.  Our premiums are already on the higher side since we are older.

I believe Carnival's cancel for any reason gives you a future cruise credit not cash back.  I prefer the cash back.  They also don't have the same level of coverage for medical and evacuation as outside insurers offer.

I second using insuremytrip for comparing and buying insurance.  In my experience the insurance offered through Carnival is much less coverage, only covers the cruise portion, and only gives you future credit.  I can usually find a more comprehensive policy for close to the same cost as the Carnival insurance offering.

Or do I need to call? 

I know what my penalty is, because is tells me on my booking webpage.  What I need to know is does the amount that is refundable automatically go back as a credit to my credit card?

How soon do I have to call to get the penalty amount applied as a FCC and how soon do I need to rebook?  I know the credit has to be ued by March 31st, 2021.

We are supposed to sail on the Magic in 4 weeks. Has anyone recently been on a trip where you could tell the ship was not full at all? Wondering if folks are really cancelling in large numbers. Can't get Carnival on the phone ever right now...

33 minutes ago, momof3hungryboys said:

Or do I need to call? 

I know what my penalty is, because is tells me on my booking webpage.  What I need to know is does the amount that is refundable automatically go back as a credit to my credit card?

How soon do I have to call to get the penalty amount applied as a FCC and how soon do I need to rebook?  I know the credit has to be ued by March 31st, 2021.

chargebacks on credit cards are typically 7-10 days.