Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thinking of taking the skytrain from Vancouver Airport to downtown (station closest to the Marriott on Hastings --- Waterfront Station ????).  My question is for those that have used the skytrain --- how many pieces of luggage have you brought on the skytrain?  We will probably have two 27 inch suitcases.  Thanks in advance for replies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

You might want to ask on the west coast departures board or the Canada North West board.

Oops, misposted -- thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did this a couple years ago with our (then) 3 year old: Parked at YVR, took the Canada Line to Waterfront and then got on the ship at Canada Place.  There is a short walk from where you get off the Canada Line train.  When we did it we popped up by the A&W at the train station (big red Canadian Pacific Railway building) on West Cordova and Google says it's about a 400m walk to the front of Canada Place where the ships dock (so probably under 1k total walking from train door to ship checkin).  We had 3 suitcases (1 large, 2 carry-on size) and an umbrella stroller. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kesstral said:

I did this a couple years ago with our (then) 3 year old: Parked at YVR, took the Canada Line to Waterfront and then got on the ship at Canada Place.  There is a short walk from where you get off the Canada Line train.  When we did it we popped up by the A&W at the train station (big red Canadian Pacific Railway building) on West Cordova and Google says it's about a 400m walk to the front of Canada Place where the ships dock (so probably under 1k total walking from train door to ship checkin).  We had 3 suitcases (1 large, 2 carry-on size) and an umbrella stroller. 

 

The trick is not to go into Waterfront Station itself, but instead use the Granville St (@ W Hastings) exit directly from the platform.  This shortens the walk, and makes the walk mostly downhill.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also check out the taxi prices...they have set pricing to downtown Vancouver.  We were 4 adults and it was cheaper to take a taxi then to do 4 adults on the Canada Line (due to the extra charge for going from the airport).

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, stefndoug said:

Also check out the taxi prices...they have set pricing to downtown Vancouver.  We were 4 adults and it was cheaper to take a taxi then to do 4 adults on the Canada Line (due to the extra charge for going from the airport).

Thanks for your suggestion.  We usually take taxi service with the fixed rate; we are only a party of two.  This year, we decided to do something a little different and take Canada Line.  Looking forward to our new adventure in transportation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

Also check out the taxi prices...they have set pricing to downtown Vancouver.  We were 4 adults and it was cheaper to take a taxi then to do 4 adults on the Canada Line (due to the extra charge for going from the airport).

 

That's only really true if you don't tip, and you're traveling on full-fare M-F with people under 65. Plus the downside of actually finding a minivan taxi, as you're not going to get 4 people + luggage in a Prius (the bulk of the fleet)

 

$36+tip flat rate to Canada Place from YVR

 

$9.25/ea Full Fare M-F Skytrain

$7.95/ea Over 65 M-F

$8.00/ea Full Fare weekends

$6.95/ea Over 65 weekends

 

and going the other way you can knock $5 off all those fares

Link to post
Share on other sites

but with a taxi you get dropped off right where the luggage goes 🙂  

 

Also note that if you are traveling on the Canada Line during rush hour...be prepared for very crowded trains

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thanks for your suggestion.  We usually take taxi service with the fixed rate; we are only a party of two.  This year, we decided to do something a little different and take Canada Line.  Looking forward to our new adventure in transportation.

 

Yup, our transit is always an adventure that is for sure (I hate it with a passion)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scottbee said:

 

That's only really true if you don't tip, and you're traveling on full-fare M-F with people under 65. Plus the downside of actually finding a minivan taxi, as you're not going to get 4 people + luggage in a Prius (the bulk of the fleet)

 

$36+tip flat rate to Canada Place from YVR

 

$9.25/ea Full Fare M-F Skytrain

$7.95/ea Over 65 M-F

$8.00/ea Full Fare weekends

$6.95/ea Over 65 weekends

 

and going the other way you can knock $5 off all those fares

Scott, we are over 65 and will be arriving during the week.  If we purchase the over 65 ticket option, is there any verification we need to provide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Scott, we are over 65 and will be arriving during the week.  If we purchase the over 65 ticket option, is there any verification we need to provide?

Nope.  It's called a 'concession' ticket,

"...seniors 65 years and older and youth 14 to 18 years with valid photo identification proving age..."

https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-Passes/Fare-Pricing.aspx

and you'll only need the ID if you're inspected by a fare inspector on the train (unlikely)

 

Just select it on the ticket machine.

Edited by scottbee
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, scottbee said:

Nope.  It's called a 'concession' ticket,

"...seniors 65 years and older and youth 14 to 18 years with valid photo identification proving age..."

https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-Passes/Fare-Pricing.aspx

and you'll only need the ID if you're inspected by a fare inspector on the train (unlikely)

 

Just select it on the ticket machine.

Thanks again for all your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 10:21 PM, scottbee said:

 

The trick is not to go into Waterfront Station itself, but instead use the Granville St (@ W Hastings) exit directly from the platform.  This shortens the walk, and makes the walk mostly downhill.

Oh absolutely!  I know for next time.  Just wanted to share my experience with the actual distance since with luggage it might be a bigger deal for some. 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2020
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...