ECLIPSE HORN CROSSING, E TICKET RIDE?!?

Beachin2

A break from all the virus threads.  Currently on the Eclipse, coming around Cape Horn on Sunday.  Weather forecast shows probable E-ticket ride!  Google cape weather.

For us, lovng it.  IMHO, anyone not prepared for big weather shouldn't do the horn!

(Bucket list trip).

Edited by Beachin2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well good luck.  We went around the Horn on New Years Day 2017 aboard the smaller Infinity.  The weather was overcast and rainy but the seas were pretty calm.

"It's a Small World" also required an E-ticket (back in those days), so I guess our Cape Horn day was an E-ticket ride as well.

FB469391-9FA9-41E5-A8DB-A182C191BAF7.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc

Thanks for the diversion from the virus threads!

We have done three Cape Horn crossings — two on the Infinity and one on the Eclipse, and  never felt we had the “full experience.”  All three were rather anticlimactic, so guess it is time to book another future South American cruise.

4 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Thanks for the diversion from the virus threads!

We have done three Cape Horn crossings — two on the Infinity and one on the Eclipse, and  never felt we had the “full experience.”  All three were rather anticlimactic, so guess it is time to book another future South American cruise.

Did the crossing once and Antarctica once. Both times it was a mirror!  Not a ripple. Was actually disappointed. Never saw the ocean that calm before.

The horn Ain’t fun for sure,  the real fun is the Drake passage.  Have done it twice on expedition ships, and one of them was an icebreaker with NO stabilizers.  They coulda sold F tickets beating rise of the resistance for that one.

Morning update (8 AM) - Cape Rounding eve:  Rain overnight, winds are well above whitecap stage, guessing 25 knots.  Guess the seas at about 2 meters and choppy.  Not bad, but marine forecast says building next 24 hours.  Occasional ocean spray on deck 7 balcony.

Be interesting to hear El Capitan's report later this morning.

Thanks for the update! This is on my bucket list, but for now it wasn't in the budget... What was in the budget is that I board her a week from tomorrow!!!! Keep her healthy and illness free please! 😉 😉 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrapngal said:

Thanks for the update! This is on my bucket list, but for now it wasn't in the budget... What was in the budget is that I board her a week from tomorrow!!!! Keep her healthy and illness free please! 😉 😉 😉

We are staying aboard for that too.  Live in SDO area, so cruising home.  have not seen signs of any illness yet, fingers crossed as well.  Travel safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

Morning update (8 AM) - Cape Rounding eve:  Rain overnight, winds are well above whitecap stage, guessing 25 knots.  Guess the seas at about 2 meters and choppy.  Not bad, but marine forecast says building next 24 hours.  Occasional ocean spray on deck 7 balcony.

Be interesting to hear El Capitan's report later this morning.

Keep posting!

I hate long flights, so a bucket list trip for me is the TA plus around the horn all in one trip to reduce the number of flights.

We need VIDEO! But please stay safe.

Where are you in the around the horn “season”? Or does that even matter - is it just the luck of the draw that you are having windy, blows weather?

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Keep posting!

I hate long flights, so a bucket list trip for me is the TA plus around the horn all in one trip to reduce the number of flights.

We need VIDEO! But please stay safe.

Where are you in the around the horn “season”? Or does that even matter - is it just the luck of the draw that you are having windy, blows weather?

This is the Eclipe's last Horn trip of the season, basically end of summer/start of fall season in South America.

Like everywhere, weather is luck of the draw.  Never did learn how to post video on "cruiser" critic.

Started planning this cruise 2 years ago, bucket list for us too.

• Like 1

For those wanting updates, it's @1:45 am.  Winds are blowing probably 50 gust to 70, seas maybe 20 feet.  Ship rides well in weather, but definitely rocking and rolling.  Still 12 hours + to the actual horn.  Gearing up For that e-ticket maybe?

• Like 1

0700:  Much changed over the last few hours.  Seas are down to Just a bit over 6 feet but the wind has settled down dramatically to maybe 40.  After my earlier post winds went to a sustained estimate of 70, and the old girl was rocking and rolling in the combination of decent wind and higher seas.  Balcony furniture is all piled up in the corner and I'm surprised it is all still there.  Winds now straight on the bow now rather than quartering, so much easier to get around the cabin. 

3 hours ago, talljules1 said:

Am I right in thinking that an E-Ticket ride means that the seas are so rough it is like being on a rollercoaster?

E-ticket is a reference back to the days when disneyland and magic kingdom used to sell tickets to rides instead of letting you ride as many rides in one day.  An E-ticket was the top tier of rides, such as Matterhorn Bobsleds. 

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

Correction to my previous numbers.  At the Captain's noon report (which is at 0945 on this ship???) He stated current wind was 50 knots sustained.  If this is 50, last night was pushing 100.  He made no mention of sea height.  I'd estimate close to 9 feet and building.

Anyone still interested in these condition reports as we "turn the corner"?

I have read several novels of the seafaring nature about sailing ships going around Cape Horn.  The reason it was such a difficult trip for sailing vessels was that the prevailing winds blow almost constantly from west to east and crossing from the Atlantic to Pacific required serious tacking against the wind.  This invariably involved ships having to travel farther south toward Antartica (toward more bad and colder weather).  

When we did the Horn in 2014, the winds were strong and blowing from the Pacific, but no problem, we were not in a sailing ship.

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Yes please, we couldn’t make this one and we are interested in your experience.

Edited by Michidoeme

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

Correction to my previous numbers.  At the Captain's noon report (which is at 0945 on this ship???) He stated current wind was 50 knots sustained.  If this is 50, last night was pushing 100.  He made no mention of sea height.  I'd estimate close to 9 feet and building.

At least a couple more, is it rainy or just windy?

What deck are you on? Stay safe and enjoy the experience.

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

At least a couple more, is it rainy or just windy?

What deck are you on? Stay safe and enjoy the experience.

Was raining a bit ago, hazy now.  I'd say more rain to come.  Has been off and on since last night.  Sky overcast and grey.   Our cabin is on deck 7.  Have had quite a bit of ocean spray since last night - big salt crystals obvious and everywhere on our balcony.  Not quite like snow yet.

Currently on deck 14 in the Ocean view Cafe with a cup of hot chocolate watching the world go by.......😊

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Was raining a bit ago, hazy now.  I'd say more rain to come.  Has been off and on since last night.  Sky overcast and grey.   Our cabin is on deck 7.  Have had quite a bit of ocean spray since last night - big salt crystals obvious and everywhere on our balcony.  Not quite like snow yet.

Currently on deck 14 in the Ocean view Cafe with a cup of hot chocolate watching the world go by.......😊

Wonderful, thank you for taking time out to let us ride the roller coaster with you!