Have Any of You Flown to Cruise Recently??

We have friends who got home yesterday after a week on the celebrity edge. They said the flight was half full and the Atlanta airport (busiest airport in the world) was the emptiest that they have ever seen it (they travel frequently). That would be (will be) eerie!

Edited by AlohaLivin

Feb 20 we booked our flights for 3/26 4 day cruise out of tampa. 42000 sky miles each Portland Maine to Tampa. 
delta announced thier no change fees and no cancellation fees the other day and prices have dropped like a bad habit.

We called today and rebooked for 19500 at miles each. No fees and the sky miles redeposited into our account. Looked tonight to choose our seats and the planes on all legs were well below half full. 
The travel industry is getting its ass kicked hard.

• Like 1

We returned from our last cruise 2 weeks ago. Flights in both directions were full. I also work for a major airline, and I’ve operated several flights during the last week. Except for one international flight (which was pretty empty), all flights have been operating pretty full as well, although not sold out.

Watching passengers deplane, maybe 5 out of 180 are wearing masks. Long before this virus, I‘ve always been bothered by how many people don’t wash their hands after using the bathroom in the terminal. I haven’t seen a single person not wash their hands in the last few weeks. Some bathrooms are even out of hand soap! I guess heightened hygiene is one good thing to come out of all this! 

• Like 2

Flew two commuter flights last week. One full, one half empty. All of the terminals seemed relatively deserted. Few masks.

oh yeah, on one flight there was one person coughing (wearing an airline-type uniform), a few rows up, the whole way. They had the row to themselves but I feel bad for whomever sat in that row on the next flight. I clorox wiped everything.

Edited by marci22

I haven’t flown, but my husband is a pilot for an airline that flies primarily from the east coast down to FL and the Caribbean. They’ve made a 5% “cut,” meaning routes are being consolidated and in some cases are swapping to smaller planes (ie 100 or 150 seats versus 162). I would be prepared for flights to be more full as similar moves are made industry-wide. 

Business travel is being impacted more, as companies are communicating travel restrictions, than leisure. 

We flew to Dulles from Orlando last week. We were all checked in at airport and scheduled to start boarding at 950 when I got an email at 915 that Southwest had cancelled our flight.  We ended up getting the last two seats on a flight to Reagan.  Evidently Florida schools are sending their students to Washington DC for spring break as the plane was packed with teens.

Sherri 🙂

Keep you're eye on your reservations. Just realized our layover in Baltimore on 3/29 went from 1 hour to 3. No notification that we got bumped to a later connecting flight. Not sure when it happened but our original flight is gone from the Southwest site altogether. Maybe they're consolidating flights because of cancellations.

Flew to FFL on Sunday for work, pretty full flight.

But hotel bartender said they are normally full with people heading out on cruises, but not so full these days.

Edited by SRF