Jump to content

Vulnerable age group, what are you doing?


MomC
 Share

Recommended Posts

My wife and I have cancelled splendor cruise boarding on sat. While health is a concern, the nail in the coffin was being on code red the whole cruise with little faith that scheduled ports will actually be a reality. I just don’t feel I will get what I have paid for.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2020 at 5:09 PM, fudgbug said:

As a former wife of someone win the military, there are worst things than being quarantined for two weeks on some military base.

I was in the military, too. The difference is I had to be there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the whole issue has been Trumped by removal of flights to and from Europe.

This must put Regent and indeed the whole cruise industry in doubt for the next few weeks and months, will they survive this?

Read on Splendour blog next cruise has only 200pax (750max) you have to ask when will Regent decide not to sail?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Updated advice in the UK, announced by PM Boris this evening, includes the advice that over-70s should not go on cruises.

Another nail in the coffin of the beleaguered cruise industry that will further hit Regent's demographic ☹️ 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

I think the whole issue has been Trumped by removal of flights to and from Europe.

This must put Regent and indeed the whole cruise industry in doubt for the next few weeks and months, will they survive this?

Read on Splendour blog next cruise has only 200pax (750max) you have to ask when will Regent decide not to sail?

I was just thinking about that earlier today; what exactly is the break-even point on sailing a ship and how do you calculate it?  The initial calculations seem easy - income vs. expense, but you also have to take into account the ripple effect of downstream voyages and where do you want your fleet to be and what if the travel ban is lifted and/or the virus panic subsides?  There are so many factors involved.  Obviously having your new build ship sitting idle isn't helping to service the debt...but relocating it to somewhere you may be able to take passengers is a huge risk as well - especially with the cruise industry being called out as a specific threat.

 

I don't think this current brouhaha is going to kill the cruise industry, but it's sure as hell going to hurt it overall - and some lines will more than likely succumb to the loss of revenue.  It may also curtail any new builds in the immediate future.  It's a damn shame, really...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I was just thinking about that earlier today; what exactly is the break-even point on sailing a ship and how do you calculate it?  The initial calculations seem easy - income vs. expense, but you also have to take into account the ripple effect of downstream voyages and where do you want your fleet to be and what if the travel ban is lifted and/or the virus panic subsides?  There are so many factors involved.  Obviously having your new build ship sitting idle isn't helping to service the debt...but relocating it to somewhere you may be able to take passengers is a huge risk as well - especially with the cruise industry being called out as a specific threat.

 

I don't think this current brouhaha is going to kill the cruise industry, but it's sure as hell going to hurt it overall - and some lines will more than likely succumb to the loss of revenue.  It may also curtail any new builds in the immediate future.  It's a damn shame, really...

 

Once again, thank you for being the voice of reason rather than the voice of doom.  Agree with your reasoning.

 

If people want something other than Regent to worry about, the states/countries being hit the hardest are losing restaurants and other types of stores daily (looking at Seattle, WA for this news).  This information is important for all of us - not just cruisers.  Before leaving on our Regent cruise on Saturday, we are insuring that we have food in the house for ourselves and our pets.  We did not hoard food but insured that, when we return from the cruise, there will be food to eat in the house (not fresh food but food).  Coronavirus just moved to our city (yesterday it was confirmed and the city is now out of many necessary items - it didn't take long to wipe out stores).  Items that are disappearing fastest are sanitizers, soaps, toilet paper, Kleenex, canned food (such as tuna, soups, etc.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think everyone has a different definition of hoarding. In general terms, I like to have 30 days worth of everything in the house at any given moment. Other things, like water, brass, fuel, spare parts, long term food, etc I keep more of. I didn't buy a lot of stuff this time...just things like prescription meds (got 90 day supplies) instead of 30. Not worried, I like my house and could easily do 90 days without going batty (or any battier than I already am).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Once again, thank you for being the voice of reason rather than the voice of doom.  Agree with your reasoning.

 

If people want something other than Regent to worry about, the states/countries being hit the hardest are losing restaurants and other types of stores daily (looking at Seattle, WA for this news).  This information is important for all of us - not just cruisers.  Before leaving on our Regent cruise on Saturday, we are insuring that we have food in the house for ourselves and our pets.  We did not hoard food but insured that, when we return from the cruise, there will be food to eat in the house (not fresh food but food).  Coronavirus just moved to our city (yesterday it was confirmed and the city is now out of many necessary items - it didn't take long to wipe out stores).  Items that are disappearing fastest are sanitizers, soaps, toilet paper, Kleenex, canned food (such as tuna, soups, etc.) 

Me?  The voice of reason in ANYTHING?  We are totally doomed, then...

 

37 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I still don't get the toilet paper thing.  The shelves in our local Publix supermarket were full like normal the other day, no empty shelves anywhere in the store.  But we're ready for the zombie apocalypse--bought 24 rolls, ha ha.

One of these per commode - less than $40 and about 10-15 minutes to install.  I thumb my nose at all of those mouth-breathing Charmin hoarders...

 

image.jpeg.7a8dcde6435d6e7a722173e8c50c2d8e.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, once again with me at a healthy 76, and my wife nearing 70 with some non-threatening health problems, we would go on a Regent cruise tomorrow. But only if we could avoid the airport extreme crowds and the crowded conditions on commercial airlines. Those are our concerns, not being onboard a Regent ship. I think the people who warn against cruise travel are thinking only of the conditions aboard the mass market mega ships. If so, they are correct. We older people need to avoid crowds. I get that. But what they apparently do not know is that there are no crowds on Regent. They must think that all cruise lines are the same. Wrong! 
 

For us, the biggest travel deterrent is the crowded situation with airports and airlines, not with on board conditions on Regent ships. And that was a deterrent well before this virus outbreak

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

In general terms, I like to have 30 days worth of everything in the house at any given moment. Other things, like water, brass, fuel, spare parts, long term food, etc I keep more of.

 

Interesting that you keep on hand more than 30 days worth of brass.   Wow, do you construct bugles when you're stuck at home?  😛  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know nothing of Regent crew quarters and treatment. Without knowing definitive information, I had always believed the crew was treated better on Regent (and other lux lines) than on mass market and premium lines. Now, I just hope this is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish Regent would follow the examples of other cruise lines as halt service for a short time.  As all 5 of us (3 booked rooms) fall into "vulnerable".....T1D, 86, asthama..............not getting anywhere near a long air flight (if flight is still flying) or a cruise ship.

 

To all who cruise, stay healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our problem with cruising as oldsters has nothing to do with the cruise, because we book lux lines or the lux part of other ships. The problem is the air needed to get from here to a cruise. Where we live we have to fly a “small jet subsidiary “ of the airline to get to a hub. Those are highly unreliable, often late in arriving at the hub. On our last four flights (pre Corona virus) we missed our connection at the hub because of this. On two occasions, a very long wait in a miserable airport was required. On two other occasions, we had to endure a forced overnight. 
 

I can’t imagine the mayhem now, with all the pop up flight cancelations, and we don’t want to experience it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...