Silhouette returning to port again

Quo Vadis?

38 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

If it was a heart attack or something else they probably would have air lifted them off.  Going all the way back to port is overkill for that.

In March 2011, I was aboard Infinity--Fort Lauderdale to San Diego via the Panama Canal--when a guest had a coronary event while we were sailing south of Cuba.  From a political perspective, an air lift originating in The US that crossed Cuban air space wasn't possible and the distance to fly  round-trip to the ship's location south of Cuba for an airlift was described as excessive.

It was a different time; surely nothing comparable to Covid-19 was in play.  Infinity turned around to Florida and anchored just off Key West where the patient was transferred to a Coast Guard  ship for transit to shore and then to the tiny community hospital in Key West for further evaluation and, if sufficient for the patient's needs [further transfer to Miami or Fort Lauderdale might still have been needed], treatment.

If Covid-19 is potentially in play in the current situation or the patient's assessed needs are considered significant, I can understand why Silhouette would return to the Fort Lauderdale or Miami area--but probably not allowed to dock unexpectedly under present government practice--so as to access the far more sophisticated medical capability available on the mainland...

The logistical challenges associated with ill passengers--especially now--are an absolute nightmare...  I'm hopeful that those currently aboard Silhouette are able to salvage some of the current cruise...  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karen Lynn said:

Why a container port, odd. 

Could be as simple as availability. Or because it may be there a few days. Or something isolation related. Who knows until we knew even what is happening.

Edited by JuliaMS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, andyfriend80 said:

It's very busy at Port of Miami today so I suspect it is nothing more than that as to why they have docked in the container dock.

Wonder what compensation they will get from Celebrity

Looks like a cruise ruined

Leaving on Reflection Friday  Hope we have better luck

1 minute ago, BigAl94 said:

Reported that ambulance and police cars are on the dock

We were medevaced from Port of Miami a couple of years ago.  They bring the Border Protection, customs and paramaedics on to the ship to clear the passengers before they get off.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, toddmanka said:

Wonder what compensation they will get from Celebrity

Looks like a cruise ruined

Leaving on Reflection Friday  Hope we have better luck

Someone posted earlier 25% refund and OBC on current cruise.

Update: cruiser took pics of evacuation. Two young looking folks in red t shirts walked off themselves, took pics of ship, then got into vehicles and drove away. What the heck. And still no announcement of itinerary. 
But the stores are packed 😶

I am currently sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette.  We  just left the port of Miami where we did in fact dock in the commercial area of the port and personally observed two people depart the ship from my balcony.  We were informed last night vía a captains announcement that passengers were disembarking due to an undisclosed medical emergency and are once again returning to Miami.   During the same announcement and as a result of us returning twice now, due to unforeseen circumstances, all passengers are receiving a 25% refund back on our original form of payment and two days worth of OBC .

Fast forward to the “Return to Miami part II”.......

As mentioned above, I am on my balcony watching this.  The odd part of this “medical disembarkation” was that both persons left in a  taxi.   There were two marked  police cars and a fire truck on scene.  The interaction between the parties was casual and appeared more whimsical to the extent that the departing guests were posing for photos while at the pier.  This resulted in them getting booed by fellow cruisers watching this exchange.   Hmmm.  
I don’t want to feed into any rumors but I feel more at ease knowing they were not surrounded by numerous health professionals in masks and gloves and leaving in an ambulance.  (On the return to Miami part I both passengers left in far from desirable methods)
I can say that the executive staff is doing their best informing us as much as they can during these trying times for the industry .  We are back on course although  I am not clear on what our next stop will be.  

A lot of information is getting distorted by keyboard cowboys and adding to the hysteria that we really do not need.  I just wanted to share my personal observations to dispel any rumors.  

the mood on board is not very festive but we are all trying our best to enjoy our vacation and make light of the situation.  The beverage package is a huge help.  

Safe travels to all.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, sakigemcam said:

Update: cruiser took pics of evacuation. Two young looking folks in red t shirts walked off themselves, took pics of ship, then got into vehicles and drove away. What the heck. And still no announcement of itinerary. 
But the stores are packed 😶

Without their luggage?