I successfully canceled my May cruise - here is advice for all

4 hours ago, SG65CB said:

They are in the 50% penalty period for a May cruise. Normally if they cancel now they would get 50% back in cash and lose 50% as a penalty. Instead that penalty is returned as FCC.

Correct which was a nice surprise. 

I thought all would go to FCC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how are they handling the booking and FCC if just one person on a booking  with two total wants to cancel the cruise and Air2Sea flight and the other person wants to move forward with traveling plans?  Anyone had this experience yet?  Thanks 

Just now, long4acruise said:

I wonder how are they handling the booking and FCC if just one person on a booking  with two total wants to cancel the cruise and Air2Sea flight and the other person wants to move forward with traveling plans?  Anyone had this experience yet?  Thanks 

One person cannot cancel.  The entire reservation must be cancelled by all people for a FCC to be issued.  If one person decides not to go it is treated as it always has been. 

11 minutes ago, shemp2000 said:

how is air2sea handled?

Will my air change fees be protected?

• If you've booked your air through our Air2Sea program and now wish to alter plans, you can do so with confidence! Royal Caribbean will handle all re-accommodations and we'll cover any change fees. You'll be responsible for any additional charges.
  • If you booked your air independently, please reach out to your air carrier for assistance with cancelling or changing your flight accommodations

3 minutes ago, franncos said:

Just curious. If you do not have insurance and made you final payment and decided to cancel, will you still get a refund?

Depending on the penalty phase you are in you could get some as a refund and some as a Future cruise credit or get everything as a future cruise credit. 

I think I might be understanding this but sometimes it helps to "talk" it out. I booked a cruise for me and a friend, Oasis May 3-7.  I think I am in the time frame where it would normally be 75% penalty for cancelation.  So if my experience is the same as the OP then I would get 25% back on my credit card, and then she and I would share the remainder in FCC.  Is that right?  I ask because normally I would travel solo and I'm not sure she would cruise prior to the end of next year.  If I'm understanding right, that would mean I would lose the money from her FCC because it would never be used by her and I can't use it for myself.  I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, but with the above scenario I think it would be difference between losing about $700 compared to $350 and the 25% that would be put back on my card could go to a land trip I might do instead of the cruise.  Thanks for any help!  

1 minute ago, k9trix said:

I think I might be understanding this but sometimes it helps to "talk" it out. I booked a cruise for me and a friend, Oasis May 3-7.  I think I am in the time frame where it would normally be 75% penalty for cancelation.  So if my experience is the same as the OP then I would get 25% back on my credit card, and then she and I would share the remainder in FCC.  Is that right?  I ask because normally I would travel solo and I'm not sure she would cruise prior to the end of next year.  If I'm understanding right, that would mean I would lose the money from her FCC because it would never be used by her and I can't use it for myself.  I'm still trying to decide what I want to do, but with the above scenario I think it would be difference between losing about $700 compared to $350 and the 25% that would be put back on my card could go to a land trip I might do instead of the cruise.  Thanks for any help!  

Yes you are correct the FCC’s may not be equal but based on the cruise fares listed on your invoice. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, k9trix said:

As the Op I can say your cruise is in the 50% and it will split between credit and FCC.

I did not get my protection refunded. My cruise was early May.

I suggest you check out the rules but I doubt if RCI would ignore anyone who did not pay a protection policy. I think any reason for anyone. Also suggest you call as well. Meanwhile I am curious so will check out.

I looked again and I did not see any specification on whether a customer purchased insurance. They are allowing any reservation to be cancelled.

Make sure to stress if you DO want full FCC.

I am surprised they are returning credits but must be legal way to go using penalty rules and combining eith FCC. 

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

One person cannot cancel.  The entire reservation must be cancelled by all people for a FCC to be issued.  If one person decides not to go it is treated as it always has been. 

Are you 100% positive with this information, Ken?  I'm only asking because someone  on FB asked this exact question, and I will tell her this, if you are sure.

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

Are you 100% positive with this information, Ken?  I'm only asking because someone  on FB asked this exact question, and I will tell her this, if you are sure.

I spoke to Royal on the phone today about this situation and they did indicate FCC will only be issued if the whole reservation is cancelled. She did say if one person cancelled, the other person wouldn't be charged a single supplement fee, but they would have to do something in the system to make sure you wouldn't be charged. Seems easier for that person to be a no show as they won't get a FCC anyway. 

royal.JPG

29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

As the Op I can say your cruise is in the 50% and it will split between credit and FCC.

I did not get my protection refunded. My cruise was early May.

I suggest you check out the rules but I doubt if RCI would ignore anyone who did not pay a protection policy. I think any reason for anyone. Also suggest you call as well. Meanwhile I am curious so will check out.

A cruise sailing on May 3rd is in 75% penalty, not 50%.

24 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

A cruise sailing on May 3rd is in 75% penalty, not 50%.

I was told mine was 50% since May 8th.  sorry I got my May cruise date mixed up with another cruise this year.

Point is you at least get some credit back unless you want full FCC in which case mention it UP FRONT FIRST.  

And yes the entire reservation is cancelled and you will get a cancel number and DO NOT HANG UP WITHOUT IT.

I won't be getting a cancel email only an FCC email.  get the cancel number!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also go over the math please everyone and make sure you agree with what they are telling you.

Again, the lady I had was very nice.

I was lucky to get in right away.  They might be busy again but are open round the clock so try at midnight or later.  

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes.  Each guest regardless of age is issued their own FCC. 

2 hours ago, tardy said:

what if 2 adults traveling with 7 yr old ? do you think Child would be issued their own FCC?

Yes, but what is the 7 year old was booked under kids sail free.

4 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I was told mine was 50% since May 8th.  sorry I got my May cruise date mixed up with another cruise this year.

Point is you at least get some credit back unless you want full FCC in which case mention it UP FRONT FIRST.  

And yes the entire reservation is cancelled and you will get a cancel number and DO NOT HANG UP WITHOUT IT.

I won't be getting a cancel email only an FCC email.  get the cancel number!!!!!!!!!!!!  Also go over the math please everyone and make sure you agree with what they are telling you.

Again, the lady I had was very nice.

I was lucky to get in right away.  They might be busy again but are open round the clock so try at midnight or later.  

We have no intention of cancelling yet as this situation is fluid and we feel our cruise could be cancelled if things get worse.  We will wait it out and see what happens.