Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
chrism23

Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

HI,

 

I am just trying to get a sense of who is cancelling and who is not.  As I read it, as confirmed is some previous threads and their website-- https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html, Silversea is offering a full, 100% refund perhaps with some small admin fees deducted,  for those who have paid for cruises sailing  prior to June 1st 2020 to cancel.  They need at least 2 days notice.  We are booked on the Silvercloud leaving May 29th from Dublin to Reykjavik.  In a previous topic I said of course I am cancelling.  Now I am sitting here with second thoughts, I really want to go  I have all sorts of before and after stuff booked, I have been working on this a long time, and I have watched every episode of Hinterland and read every Peter May book.😀.  I haven't sorted out the air yet Air Lingus and Iceland Air so I have no idea what they are going to do, both directions are prepaid. But that money wise is not a big deal.  I would derive great comfort if somehow Silversea could test every crew member and every passenger before they embark, but that seems an impossibility but a possible solution to the problem.    I know May 29th is a way out but I don't think the situation is going to be a helluva lot different than it is now.  So I a curious to have others in similar situations jump into this topic.  Cheers all.  These are weird times.

 

Edited by chrism23
clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi chrism23 I am on the same cruise. So far I haven't canceled yet and I will wait to see.  I have the following concerns: get sick in the cruise, get in a quarantine inside the cruise with sick people around, won't be able to stop at the planned ports and have several sea days.

 

But at this point, I do not see any advantage in canceling as I can wait and see whats is going to happen. But I am not very optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also waiting before I make a final decision.  My cruise leaves April 6th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We leave home in 6 days, fly to Miami next Sunday and join the Wind Monday. We will only cancel if flights to Miami are banned, Barbados excludes cruise ships (the cruise ends there) or the FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) declare one of the destination as do not travel. 

 

But we have no urgent need to return and have contingencies should we be quarantined. Not everyone can do that because of commitments. 

Edited by Tothesunset
Typo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't sail until the the 6th July on Explorer. I have wanted to go to the Russian Far East for such a long time, I'm going to hang on until the last possible minute before I cancel and the changes to the cancellation policy have been reassuring. I booked my own flights as which I would take a hit on, but I'm trying to think positively, I hope the Universe rewards my faith 🙂 

On a more serious note. I appreciate that my issues are very much a 1st world problem, other people's health and livelihoods are being seriously affected, I hope that the situation improves soon 🙏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lirio said:

Hi chrism23 I am on the same cruise. So far I haven't canceled yet and I will wait to see.  I have the following concerns: get sick in the cruise, get in a quarantine inside the cruise with sick people around, won't be able to stop at the planned ports and have several sea days.

 

But at this point, I do not see any advantage in canceling as I can wait and see whats is going to happen. But I am not very optimistic.

Hi  Lirio,  Thanks for the reply.  After reading the others I think the best course is to wait and see.  Silversea is doing us all a favor by leaving the window open until 2 days before the cruise.  As a couple of other folks have mentioned this might leave some of us on the hook for air and hotels, but I get the sense that people really want to do this cruise.  I also wanted to see whether people are so turned off by the idea of cruising right now that they have already decided not to.  It looks like that's not the case, Silversea folks are a rather intrepid bunch of travelers so if there is a chance to go, we'll go.  I will, as we all should, keep each other informed as this drama unfolds.  Hope to see you on board.😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

  Silversea is doing us all a favor by leaving the window open until 2 days before the cruise. 

 

For which we can thank RCI.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've 2 this year and 2 next year. 2021 is a long way off, though I'm less bothered about those cruises (cost / itinerary) than the 2020 cruises.

 

My August Wind Norway cruise, I've done my own thing for flights and hotel. No intention of cancelling which is billed for me as the Winds last London sailing in current format. 

 

Second is the one I'd now be gutted if fell through. It's turned out to be a bargain due to changes SS made and managing to get flight upgrades for minimal cost. I've also had our "vista guarantee" be upgraded to a deluxe balcony. That is a nice addition but not one I'm overly excited about. 

 

I'm certainly not going to cancel but definitely concerned it may well get pulled. 

 

If it was, a refund is the last thing is want. With the luck I've had with the booking, the fare is almost 3 times what I paid.

 

But this is unprecedented. Ordinarily I'd want a replacement (it would be the second cancellation forced on me) but I doubt that would happen and my piece of good fortune will go in a puff of smoke.

 

As I've use SS for the air on this one, im less concerned about being stranded, but not being quarantined. I'd be fine with my employer, but with this being the busiest period for my wifes hairdressing business, I know she'd (with the luxury of hindsight) choose to cancel. Obviously we don't have that, so I'll continue to hope my good fortune carry's on. I'll be upset (for said mentioned reasons) but know it's outside of everyones control.

 

If I was told the cruises would go ahead but not stopping, I'd not cancel still... As long we still sail the fjords.

 

Flights on these are not a huge concern.... But if not be happy if the Tower Bridge sail in was cancelled and I get stranded in Stockholm and left to my own devices. The 20 minute train journey is far easier! lol

 

So whilst SS are being good with the new 30 day policy, the displacement and extra costs you might find yourself with at start or end are a real issue for additional costs, unless you've taken SS Air.

 

Just thought of another inconvenience.... If my cruises we're cancelled, I'd miss out on my scheduled 100 day free laundry milestone... But hey if I'm quarantined for 2 weeks, I might get there much sooner!  (I jest... Sometimes it's just fun to see the funny side of a very serious and damaging situation.)

 

2021... Too far off to contemplate, though potentially the second wasn't one in too bothered about, so of the 4, could get the chop by my choice... But not until I'm at the limit of choice. 

Edited by les37b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I've mentioned elsewhere our intention is to take the cruise we have booked for June. We booked air through SS so if our embarkation or disembarkation ports change it'll be their problem to figure out how to get us home. As scheduled our cruise has no sea days so having a port or two canceled is fine . . . and if it becomes a cruise to nowhere we'll just treat the ship like a resort. Obviously no one wants to be quarantined but we intend to overpack, take some activities, and make sure our dog is looked after no matter how long we're away. I work remotely anyway so I will break a personal rule and take my laptop in case I need to go back to work from 20 miles off shore somewhere. My husband would have to take unpaid time if we were detained but we'll survive. 

 

If the cruise goes ahead exactly as planned we anticipate a possible fringe benefit of being the weirdos who still travel . . . having otherwise extremely crowded destinations mostly to ourselves. If museums and attractions are closed we'll go hiking or something. 

 

Even with the new cancellation policy we'd be out a not insignificant cost because we took the business class upgrades and those are not included in any refund. So that's a consideration. Ultimately though we are in a low risk demographic and we are okay with the risks of travel. If the situation deteriorates we have time to change our minds. And if it's that bad I expect SS would be forced to cancel anyway which takes the decision out of our hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, saminina said:

For which we can thank RCI.  


Exactly!  For all the hang wringing some SS passengers have done over the 67% purchase of SS by RCL, this is a perfect example of the advantages a large well capitalized company with great access to capital markets brings to a small, privately held company.  We have to remember, the only reason SS is offering this super generous 48-hour cancellation policy is because of Richard Fain’s leadership at RCL, especially since just the day prior SS had announced the 30-day cancellation policy and created/published a YouTube video of Barbara Muckerman announcing same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are leaving in May for the London to London cruise around the British Isles. I have been adamant that we are going but everyone keeps raining on my parade about being stuck in a quarantine somewhere. I have only seen this happen on a few ships correct? There are hundreds of ships cruising currently and if only a handful are (mostly in the East Asia), I feel like rolling the dice.

 

However, I will wait another month or so to see how this plays out and keep my options open just in case. I thought I would only get a credit for a May cruise? You say that they will fully refund?

Edited by Bucephalus53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new policy is excellent. I’m going to cancel for my July  cruise as I think this is just going to explode with closed ports, more transmission etc. for a while.  I worry that RCL stock is down 41% in a month. Their cash flow will feel some pressure from refunds, low cruise participation, extra expenses etc.  Taking the $$ while I can.  I bet it won’t be hard to rebook if it all clears up in a couple months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ddc1818 said:

The new policy is excellent. I’m going to cancel for my July  cruise as I think this is just going to explode with closed ports, more transmission etc. for a while.  I worry that RCL stock is down 41% in a month. Their cash flow will feel some pressure from refunds, low cruise participation, extra expenses etc.  Taking the $$ while I can.  I bet it won’t be hard to rebook if it all clears up in a couple months. 

This is an excellent point to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not going to cancel - we have a 3 week Vancouver, Alaska, Seattle holiday booked, of which the cruise is only 1 week. I am concerned if SS cancel our cruise because everyone else cruising has cancelled! Or of course if BA stop flying to Vancouver / Seattle.  So please do wait till you really have to, to cruise or cancel? 

 

After all almost all people (even those over 65) only have mild symptoms, providing you aren't someone who is in and out of hospital with another disease - when I wouldn't travel anyway, my thoughts are with you.   https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-08/coronavirus-symptoms-explained-and-when-you-should-see-a-doctor/12024042

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked for March 17 out of Auckland and have no intention to cancel. A lot of this hype is totally overblown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, we all have to make the best decision for ourselves.  I hope your cruise goes smoothly:classic_smile:

 

I wish I was as comfortable lifting the anchor on mine....I still have not made a final decision. I don't think (just my

opinion) it is totally overblown though. I think the mis communication is what is a total mess.....if they would let

the scientists deliver the messages, I think it would be the better way to go......but what do I know?:classic_rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 7:17 AM, Lois R said:

I am also waiting before I make a final decision.  My cruise leaves April 6th. 


I would think and hope that since the cruise is Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona  the Wind won’t be impacted.   If it were going deeper into the Med to say Italy that would be a whole different issue if thing continue to degenerate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:


I would think and hope that since the cruise is Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona  the Wind won’t be impacted.   If it were going deeper into the Med to say Italy that would be a whole different issue if thing continue to degenerate.

Hi Randy, well as of about an hour ago, the odds are I will not go...not sure if you are aware but I finished up radiation treatment 2 weeks ago and had my first follow up today.

 My Oncologist said the radiation would probably not have an affect on "catching something"

 but he didn't feel all that comfortable saying he would recommend me going

either.  The final decision is mine to make...….I will give it a few more days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if a lot of people cancel a cruise(say 1/3 or 1/2), will the ship still sail? My transatlantic crossing begins March 27. We only hit 2 ports in 15 days-Madeira and Lisbon.Seems likely SS would not cancel that one. Please, oh please!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Randy, well as of about an hour ago, the odds are I will not go...not sure if you are aware but I finished up radiation treatment 2 weeks ago and had my first follow up today.

 My Oncologist said the radiation would probably not have an affect on "catching something"

 but he didn't feel all that comfortable saying he would recommend me going

either.  The final decision is mine to make...….I will give it a few more days.


I was aware you were under treatment and had wondered about that but I didn’t want to ask in public about that.   My wife and I actually talked a bit about that yesterday.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have just cancelled our 10/19/20 cruise from Athens to Venice.  We will take a full refund and plan another cruise when this blows over.  We didn't want to wait until the last minute with all of the concerns in the financial markets, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm cancelling my Mar 27th Shadow crossing - too many other arrangements surrounding the cruise to risk not being able to disembark in BCN on the correct day and make my onward journey.

 

Just had word from my TA that the FCC that SS is issuing is good for travel through Mar 2022, so although I have cruises booked through Nov 2021, I can now enjoy thinking about Spring cruises 2022. 

But I do hope that the virus situation looks like peaking soonish (hoping but not too optimistic) as I really would prefer not to cancel my Spirit cruise this May/June.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:


I was aware you were under treatment and had wondered about that but I didn’t want to ask in public about that.   My wife and I actually talked a bit about that yesterday.   

Ahhh...thanks!...….(to you both):classic_smile: He said everything is healing really well!!! And when I asked

him about the cruise, his reply gave me more food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just talked with SS and found out my options. The only concern is when the flights are booked at the 60 Day point (5 days from now). I’d love to wait as long as possible because I want to go and he said that they aren’t having any issues in Europe right now. All are a go. If the flights are booked and I cancel, then I’d lose money. (I also upgraded to Business Class)
BTW, they could not have been more pleasant and helpful. I can only imagine what customer service have been going through the last month. 
(best wishes to you Lois)

Edited by Bucephalus53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...