Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

21 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Yikes!  Can you provide a link to that announcement, zigtraveller, as I cannot find it?

I have no knowledge of the financial relationship between SS and RCL, but virtually any time a business publicly announces refunds will take 90-days to process, it is a sure sign of financial stress at the business.  And clearly, a liquidity crisis exists as the business needs to hoard cash.  Without access to some sort of new credit facility in the very near term (< 45-days), default becomes more likely.  

Totally agree.My belief based upon sound information was the RCL relationship saved Silversea from default ,but how they survive this crisis which maybe lengthy according to expert medical opinion on BBC news an hour ago I do not know.Sad days for our favourite cruise line for 22 years and all other cruise lines around the World.

ChrisM - A couple of points.

I am on the same cruise you reference - Dublin to Reykjavik - but I don't see that you or any of us have a logistical dilemma. Like you, I assume this cruise will be cancelled - but it is 2 months away and so Silversea just hasn't gotten around to looking at those cruises and cancelling them. I plan to wait until about a week before the cruise in the hopes that Silversea cancels it and I will then select the refund. If Silversea hasn't cancelled a week before the cruise I will then decide whether to wait a few more days in hope they do cancel it or cancel it myself and take the future cruise credit. While we would all like more certainty about these things, I think the world has become much less certain and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. 

Where do you see a 50%/50% cancellation policy for cruises booked before June 1, 2020? I ask because according to the information Silversea has posted at https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html the only option for people cancelling cruises before June 1, 2020 is a future cruise credit - there is no 50%/50% refund/credit.

I don't believe the list of cancelled itineraries Silversea has posted at  https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html is a partial list as you claim. I interpret this to mean that this is all the itineraries that Silversea has cancelled as of the date at the top of the page. This page is date March 23, 2020 and the previous version of this was dated March 16, 2020 and I see that Silversea has added itineraries to the list. I assume that as more itineraries are cancelled the list will grow.

Edited by Alturia
correct grammar

Alturia, this is my interpretation also.  Our British Isles cruise scheduled for departure May 19 has not yet been canceled, but I am certain it will be.  We got a bit hasty and did cancel it about a week ago for a FCC....although the way the world looks today, we might have been better off waiting for them to cancel so we could get a refund (hopefully they’ll have enough $$ to do these refunds)!  Agent was very pleasant to work with, but of course, like others, we’re waiting on the actual paperwork for the FCC and/or refund for our air upgrade.  Now I’m worried about a September 2020 cruise as well as an October 2021 cruise.  And silly me, I thought this would be such a wonderful year for us to expand our cruise experiences!

We had a cruise planned for October and cancelled it ourselves.  We were originally told by our TA that the 100% refund would take between 7-10 days.   An email this morning (from our TA) now says it can take up to 30 days.  It may have something to do with the dates of the cruise, but I am just guessing at this point.

With great disappointment I have asked our TA to put in a cancellation for our June cruise. The state of Ohio's stay-at-home order has forced my husband's employer to close and thus laid him off until rescinded. Although I assume SS will be forced to cancel the cruise anyway, he wants to get ahead of it and we're well within the window for a cash refund. 

Is it 2022 yet?

I have been in contact with the representative from SS that we booked our Alaska cruise with directly.. I can get 100% refund minus $200 if I cancel now, but as of now they will not refund the Denali section of the trip. I find this totally unacceptable as we would not be going to denali for 4 days thru SS if not on a cruise.He says we have to cancel the cruise , then he will try to get us a refund. 

This was our first time on SS, may never go on them if they cannot rectify this problem.

1 hour ago, BeeMinor said:

Although I assume SS will be forced to cancel the cruise anyway, he wants to get ahead of it and we're well within the window for a cash refund.

Yes, by cancelling now, you will get a cash refund less a $200 administrative fee.

49 minutes ago, Robins21 said:

I can get 100% refund minus $200 if I cancel now, but as of now they will not refund the Denali section of the trip. I find this totally unacceptable as we would not be going to Denali for 4 days thru SS if not on a cruise.  He says we have to cancel the cruise , then he will try to get us a refund.

I understand your frustration, but what your agent is telling you is true.  The following policy is stated on their website:

• Silversea will do its best to negotiate on guests’ behalf for the same cancellation options on other components of the booking such as air travel, hotels and shore excursions. However, Silversea does not have control over these third-party suppliers, and, therefore, different terms may apply for these specific components.
2 hours ago, bl2sms said:

Alturia, this is my interpretation also.  Our British Isles cruise scheduled for departure May 19 has not yet been canceled, but I am certain it will be.  We got a bit hasty and did cancel it about a week ago for a FCC....although the way the world looks today, we might have been better off waiting for them to cancel so we could get a refund (hopefully they’ll have enough $$ to do these refunds)!  Agent was very pleasant to work with, but of course, like others, we’re waiting on the actual paperwork for the FCC and/or refund for our air upgrade.  Now I’m worried about a September 2020 cruise as well as an October 2021 cruise.  And silly me, I thought this would be such a wonderful year for us to expand our cruise experiences!

Same Cruise for us. I was holding out hope a few weeks ago this would still happen. It’s a bucket list trip for me but I now know it’s hopeless. The similar one next May doesn’t have the same itinerary as this one so I’ll probably just take the refund. 

I heard back from our agent at SS. He says to hold on and don't cancel. He says if they cancel the cruise I will get back both cruise and land. If I cancel now I may only get cruise back. Have till end of April for them to cancel since our Denali leg starts on May 31st. 

6 hours ago, Alturia said:

I am on the same cruise you reference - Dublin to Reykjavik - but I don't see that you or any of us have a logistical dilemma. Like you, I assume this cruise will be cancelled - but it is 2 months away and so Silversea just hasn't gotten around to looking at those cruises and cancelling them. I plan to wait until about a week before the cruise in the hopes that Silversea cancels it and I will then select the refund. If Silversea hasn't cancelled a week before the cruise I will then decide whether to wait a few more days in hope they do cancel it or cancel it myself and take the future cruise credit. While we would all like more certainty about these things, I think the world has become much less certain and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. 

Where do you see a 50%/50% cancellation policy for cruises booked before June 1, 2020? I ask because according to the information Silversea has posted at https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html the only option for people cancelling cruises before June 1, 2020 is a future cruise credit - there is no 50%/50% refund/credit.

I don't believe the list of cancelled itineraries Silversea has posted at  https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html is a partial list as you claim. I interpret this to mean that this is all the itineraries that Silversea has cancelled as of the date at the top of the page. This page is date March 23, 2020 and the previous version of this was dated March 16, 2020 and I see that Silversea has added itineraries to the list. I assume that as more itineraries are cancelled the list will grow.

Hi Alturia.,  Damn.  You are right.  They have changed their policy.  We were trying to get hold of our cruise consultant today with a time sensitive email trying to get in by the 29th deadline, as they first posted.  I was absolutely positive that they had the posted the option that if cancelled  by the 29th of March would give us the 50/50 split so at least we would get some cash back.  I went so far as to try to negotiate the two days difference to get us from May 29th to June 1st seeing as this was our 10th cruise and maybe they could cut us 2 days slack.   I think I have to keep looking every day for updates.  I can send you a copy of the old policy if you wish.   I am positive that's what it said a week or so ago.  Now there seems no alternative for us but to take the future cruise credit.  Or perhaps we can just sit tight and hope they cancel then we would get 100% cash back (I think)  Thank you for your clarification.  I have to admit I am confused as hell by what seems to be a moving target with a lot of variables.  I am really sorry to have posted incorrect information. It was the information I had at the time and it was posted in good faith.  Below is how the policy reads today.  

image.png

Edited by chrism23
incorrect information
7 hours ago, Alturia said:

I think I am reading this right.  Go to the source you cited https://www.silversea.com/temporary-amendment-to-cancellation-policy.html

1 hour ago, hubofhockey said:

Fauci said that this could take several more weeks.  Who knows how many is several, but that doesn't sound promising.

Did you watch the press conference tonight?:classic_blink::classic_rolleyes:.....Fauci was not there...(unfortunately).

9 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

He wasn’t there Sunday either.

Ah, Mr. Foot.  I am surprised that Trump hasn't had him fired by now.  Fauci tells the truth.  Could I use this space, without starting a new thread to apologize again to Alturia and everyone else for any confusion I may have caused with my post on the 50/50 refund.  I feel so stupid.  

In continuing my stupidity I have a question that may apply to many of us.  Of course we will be cancelling the Dublin trip. We have a cruise booked next spring, in 2021, to Greece.  It is paid for.  When we cancel the Dublin trip, at the last minute in case SS doesn't do it for us, and receive a future cruise credit, can we then have it applied to, or cancel the 2021 Greece and use the future cruise credit for that? The way it would work is simple. Given the date it is so far out, cancelling would yield a 100% cash refund. (-$200 or whatever)  Then we would simply rebook it using the future cruise credit.   Naturally Alturia and all the people above who have commented on this are hoping that SS cancels and we receive cash back without any chicanery.  But if they don't I have any qualms about pulling a fast one I think this might work.   I apologize again for being so complicated.  (And I am not a lawyer).  I feel that many of the SS regulars are reading this thread and wonder if any of you have tried to pull something similar off.  Thanks.  Chris  (ps we asked our SS cruise consultant about this ploy and naturally he couldn't say anything).

Good morning, I think you should be able to use your FCC for whatever you want but maybe that is just being

too logical:classic_biggrin:

As for Fauci and Debra Birks, if they disagree with "re-opening" too soon? They may end up being

fired:classic_rolleyes:..…..stupid move of course, but this guy only does things that are "ALL ABOUT HIM". He doesn't

know about telling the truth and as that saying goes "He Can't Handle The Truth"

1 hour ago, chrism23 said:

Ah, Mr. Foot.  I am surprised that Trump hasn't had him fired by now.  Fauci tells the truth.  Could I use this space, without starting a new thread to apologize again to Alturia and everyone else for any confusion I may have caused with my post on the 50/50 refund.  I feel so stupid.  

In continuing my stupidity I have a question that may apply to many of us.  Of course we will be cancelling the Dublin trip. We have a cruise booked next spring, in 2021, to Greece.  It is paid for.  When we cancel the Dublin trip, at the last minute in case SS doesn't do it for us, and receive a future cruise credit, can we then have it applied to, or cancel the 2021 Greece and use the future cruise credit for that? The way it would work is simple. Given the date it is so far out, cancelling would yield a 100% cash refund. (-$200 or whatever)  Then we would simply rebook it using the future cruise credit.   Naturally Alturia and all the people above who have commented on this are hoping that SS cancels and we receive cash back without any chicanery.  But if they don't I have any qualms about pulling a fast one I think this might work.   I apologize again for being so complicated.  (And I am not a lawyer).  I feel that many of the SS regulars are reading this thread and wonder if any of you have tried to pull something similar off.  Thanks.  Chris  (ps we asked our SS cruise consultant about this ploy and naturally he couldn't say anything).

You are fishing in the dark, these are unprecedented times and the only SS could make that sort of decision. Given exceptional circumstances, such as cancellation of Spirit voyages for the stretch, SS can be flexible, but only on a case by case basis.  Why not just wait and see what happens.

Good response Spectre., good to wait and see. Just got an email from SS and my TA that our Shadow cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona 23 April is cancelled. I added this info on the thread about 23 Mar status, but as most know, SS is offering a 100% refund, 125% FCC and pre/post hotels and flight refund if made through SS. If flights aren’t and you are charged, they will refund that. 

So this is all what is excepted as we move forward. I fully understand why SS is doing this incrementally. They don’t print money and can’t refund all future cruising payments/deposits. And I’l be quite tacky: those of us who can afford SS cruising can wait for refunds, I can’t see any of us living paycheck-to-paycheck......but don’t look at the Market!! 

enough. Will wait all this out and then look to cruise again, but I don’t see the world going back to ‘normal’. 

Den

54 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Good response Spectre., good to wait and see. Just got an email from SS and my TA that our Shadow cruise from Lisbon to Barcelona 23 April is cancelled. I added this info on the thread about 23 Mar status, but as most know, SS is offering a 100% refund, 125% FCC and pre/post hotels and flight refund if made through SS. If flights aren’t and you are charged, they will refund that. 

So this is all what is excepted as we move forward. I fully understand why SS is doing this incrementally. They don’t print money and can’t refund all future cruising payments/deposits. And I’l be quite tacky: those of us who can afford SS cruising can wait for refunds, I can’t see any of us living paycheck-to-paycheck......but don’t look at the Market!! 

enough. Will wait all this out and then look to cruise again, but I don’t see the world going back to ‘normal’. 

Den

Cheers. I should have pointed out that I currently have a Moon crossing fully paid for    and a 2021 Shadow voyage, also fully paid. The Moon may not happen, but I am happy to wait and see. My only slight concern is whether to pay the balance of an August Whisper back to back, but that is still 3 weeks away.

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I think you should be able to use your FCC for whatever you want but maybe that is just being

too logical:classic_biggrin:

As for Fauci and Debra Birks, if they disagree with "re-opening" too soon? They may end up being

fired:classic_rolleyes:..…..stupid move of course, but this guy only does things that are "ALL ABOUT HIM". He doesn't

know about telling the truth and as that saying goes "He Can't Handle The Truth"

Can we keep politics out of this, please??

21 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Just being realistic and hoping I’m wrong.

I know you are.  I was just teasing.  And, of course, I’m also hoping you are wrong.  

With that said, I think SS is out of their mind making today’s re-start announcement.  Especially, in light of the facts we all know re: Canada.  Just seems like a blatant lie to me.