Cruise Critic Community
chrism23

Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

and others said  "why don't you just wait and see".

Well I waited and I have seen. Silversea has lost their minds.  Go to the latest itinerary change site below  which was updated minutes ago, 3:00 PM EST

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

You can see for yourself the cruise that affects you.  I note that the Silvercloud is still scheduled to to sail from London to Dublin on 5/19 and the Silverwind round trip from London is still scheduled to depart on 5/13.

Sorry folks, but they are living in an alternative reality to  put this up.  There is no way in the world the COVID- 19 situation will have improved by then.  Any projection by any reputable health organization, the WHO,  the US CDC/NIH, has the virus spread just about peaking at the middle of May.  It will be exponentially worse then than it is now  I am simply astonished.  I have absolutely no idea why they did this.  Does anyone have a clue?  There has to be some alternative agenda at work here that I am missing.  The item is titled "Information on the Commencement of Travel" and the first sentence reads Silversea’s global family will reunite on the following voyages, as our ships recommence their itineraries around the world:

Please tell me I am hallucinating. There must be some obscure legal reason for them to be so entirely out of touch with reality.  Please enlighten me.

Edited by chrism23

2 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

Does anyone have a clue?

It’s just another example, in a long line of examples over the years, of a poor Marketing decision.  Unfortunately, and too often, SS marketing just doesn’t completely think through their decisions before revealing them.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, chrism23 said:

Please enlighten me.

Chris M, people have offered several answers to your question - SS is overly optimistic, SS marketing strikes again, the uncertainty because this is a first time event, SS needs to spread out the refunds, etc.. I agree that it is unlikely that SS or any cruise line will start up on the dates they list. And as we get closer to those dates I am sure that the SS cruises will be cancelled, including the one from Dublin to Reykjavik, and the start up dates pushed back. Note that the most recent announcement involves the cancelling of several cruises that were not listed as cancelled on Monday, March 23. 

Edited by Alturia
correct grammar

I got that same email as well.

1 hour ago, milepig said:

This piece of fluff just arrived in my email

I don't know that I would characterize it as fluff but I received it as well.

23 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I don't know that I would characterize it as fluff but I received it as well.

I actually thought it started out OK but some at the later stuff like to watch for pretty pictures in our email and that we’re travelers not tourists was a bit much. 

And another who hopes the Moon TA is not cancelled.

I thought the vid was a high quality presentation and took it at face value.

There will always be those who seek to ameliorate the Silversea family concept.

I would rather buy the imagery and the dream than purchase my cruise ticket like a used car or a washing machine. 

I also took the video at face value and appreciated the gesture and message of hope for continued travels in the post Covid-19 world.  

4 hours ago, chrism23 said:

Well I waited and I have seen. Silversea has lost their minds.  Go to the latest itinerary change site below  which was updated minutes ago, 3:00 PM EST

https://www.silversea.com/information-on-itinerary-changes.html

You can see for yourself the cruise that affects you.  I note that the Silvercloud is still scheduled to to sail from London to Dublin on 5/19 and the Silverwind round trip from London is still scheduled to depart on 5/13.

Sorry folks, but they are living in an alternative reality to  put this up.  There is no way in the world the COVID- 19 situation will have improved by then.  Any projection by any reputable health organization, the WHO,  the US CDC/NIH, has the virus spread just about peaking at the middle of May.  It will be exponentially worse then than it is now  I am simply astonished.  I have absolutely no idea why they did this.  Does anyone have a clue?  There has to be some alternative agenda at work here that I am missing.  The item is titled "Information on the Commencement of Travel" and the first sentence reads Silversea’s global family will reunite on the following voyages, as our ships recommence their itineraries around the world:

Please tell me I am hallucinating. There must be some obscure legal reason for them to be so entirely out of touch with reality.  Please enlighten me.

They are targeting mid-May, but that is based on NOTHING.  The summer Olympics, in fact, are cancelled, but these cruise companies think mid-May  is reasonable.  Go figure.  In any case,  in a couple of weeks, they'll reset the restart date to June.

On 3/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, Lois R said:

Did you watch the press conference tonight?:classic_blink::classic_rolleyes:.....Fauci was not there...(unfortunately).

Fauci was there tonight. As someone above said, let's keep politics out of cruise critic.

26 minutes ago, CBWIR said:

Fauci was there tonight. As someone above said, let's keep politics out of cruise critic.

Yes, I saw he was there and he spoke too.

The problem is that the whole world cannot go on hold for ever - as what will happen when the current lockdown ends? Another lockdown? 

Posted (edited)

I wonder if all cruise lines are cancelling cruises on a rolling basis to allow their admin staff  the time to fully deal with refunds, FCC before the next cancellations are announced.  

Yes we would all like to know now what is happening for the rest of the year and beyond as I have 4 fully paid for cruises booked 2 in 2020 and 2 more in 2021. In reality I have to acknowledge that the 2020 ones won’t happen, unless of course Mr Trump is right and it will all go away by Easter!

When SS cancels them then I will decided if I will take the refund or FCC, putting pressure on the admin system when they are already stretched won’t achieve much and may well delay the refunding process for cruises already cancelled.

Edited by seaquay

Also there is always the possibility that the "horse may talk" - if any of you know that lovely story, ie something good may happen too, and we may still go on our mid-July Alaska holiday.

Refund update:

Originally I was told a week to ten days.

Last week I was told up to three weeks.

Today I’m told 30 working days, which is almost 7 weeks if you factor in the Easter holidays.

If SS want customers to return when all this is over they should consider how they are treating customers now and the effect that will have on their future decisions.

3 hours ago, jrmuk said:

Refund update:

Originally I was told a week to ten days.

Last week I was told up to three weeks.

Today I’m told 30 working days, which is almost 7 weeks if you factor in the Easter holidays.

If SS want customers to return when all this is over they should consider how they are treating customers now and the effect that will have on their future decisions.

Earlier this month, SS processed my refund request for a cancellation next year,  much more quickly than I was told. I was very pleased with that. But I have been unable to get my credit card to give me anything other than a large negative balance. While I was originally told by the credit card company to call back when there are shorter wait times, I was able to get through early in the AM on Saturday. I was told at that time that I would have a refund check in 7 to 10 business days. The large negative balance is still there, so I called again. I am now told that because of the amount, they need permission from the special processing department to give me a refund of my negative credit balance. They have no time estimate as to when that will occur. But after that, it should take 7 to 10 business days. We might all want to read our contracts with our credit card companies to see what our options are when we are lucky enough to get a large refund back on our credit cards.

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

Earlier this month, SS processed my refund request for a cancellation next year,  much more quickly than I was told. I was very pleased with that. But I have been unable to get my credit card to give me anything other than a large negative balance. While I was originally told by the credit card company to call back when there are shorter wait times, I was able to get through early in the AM on Saturday. I was told at that time that I would have a refund check in 7 to 10 business days. The large negative balance is still there, so I called again. I am now told that because of the amount, they need permission from the special processing department to give me a refund of my negative credit balance. They have no time estimate as to when that will occur. But after that, it should take 7 to 10 business days. We might all want to read our contracts with our credit card companies to see what our options are when we are lucky enough to get a large refund back on our credit cards.

Is there any reason you don’t just use the credit card to buy regular needs until the credit is used up?  I use my credit cards all the time and could use up considerable amounts if I use it to pay utilities, food shopping, etc.

We were first told 7-10 days and now it is 30 days. We have pre-paid 100% plus travel insurance.  Our cruise, however, is not until October.

The problem with the credit card company isn't really applicable to this discussion, as it has nothing to do with Silversea.  You got your refund in a timely manner.

Not sure I'm understanding this. Do you mean by 'negative balance' that you are in credit with your credit card company instead of owing them money?

If that's the case, as others say, why don't you just use it up in day to day living? I see no great benefit to having a lump sum in cash, unless you want to put it under your mattress, I'd be leery about investing it right now - prices may be down but I'd like to see which companies are still standing at the end of all this.

BTW when I have been in this position after refunds, Mastercard have paid me 3% interest on my balance.

17 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Hi, I am wondering the same question as the others. You have a credit balance on your Credit Card? That is your money.

Just charge any purchases you need to make and that credit will take care of the payments due. Why do you need a

check?

To all of those saying why not just use the credit on the card; the refund is for 2 segments of next year's world cruise, so it's a very significant amount for us. We are not going to be spending that amount of money in the next 3 or 4 months at least. For almost 2 weeks, we've been asked to self isolate, and expect that to be mandated for everyone in our county early next week. There's no place other than the grocery store to charge anything for an undetermined amount of time. We're losing a significant amount of money on another cruise, and have rebooked what's left of that as a cruise credit for a shorter cruise next year. We won't be making any additional travel plans until things stabilize, and we still have several chances of losing money on other non-cruise vacations through the summer.

The other thing is that the credit card company already plans to refund what we received back from SS. But they can no longer tell us when they will do it. I don't want to start charging on that card, and then end up owing more to them during the next cycle because they finally give me the refund I requested. It's our only Mastercard, and didn't have trouble with a large refund on a Visa card. At this point, we would feel better having some cash on hand.

I just googled "do credit card companies have to refund large balances" & found this - you might want to check your terms & conditions:  (I LOVE GOOGLE)

Under banking law, card issuers must return payments that are over the balance due. If you have a credit balance of more than $1, it should be refunded to you seven days after your written request. A credit balance means that, instead of owing the card issuer money, they owe you.Sep 21, 2018

On 3/24/2020 at 4:43 PM, milepig said:

This piece of fluff just arrived in my email

Fluff is being so kind