Cruise Critic Community
chrism23

Who is cancelling/Who is Not?

Bojo’s latest announcement is so damaging. He has warned everybody in the U.K. to not go to bars and restaurants but not officially closed us down. That means that many business’s such as mine have received 90% cancellations but are unable to claim against insurance for business disruption. I’ve lost 10s of 1000s of £s in future bookings,Also  my partner who has recently opened his own TA has switched from being able to take a wage in March for the first time to making a loss. He has sunk his entire redundancy into his new business. I’m paying £26k a year in business rates and can’t even get a sandbag from our local council when we really needed it in recent unprecedented floods, And everything I read on the internet is about people panicking and complaining that they can’t get an immediate refund and compensation. Please be patient people. Support small businesses, take the additional fcc Rather than demanding the option of cashing out and crashing cruise lines. Let’s all look at this situation sensibly, not panic and hope for a brighter future as we all work though these difficult times.

I decided this morning to cancel our Galapagos trip in May, very sad, but cannot see it getting better in the time, We are in New Zealand and we have just announced a 12.1billion dollar injection to keep companies afloat and help with the mandatory 14 day isolation so companies don’t have to pay their staff for that period and a lot pumped into the Health service. So far our only cases are imported ones, which demonstrates how quickly this thing spreads.

We are taking credits for our Cruise portion and will probably book straight away for this time next year, we are flying LATAM and they are giving us a credit to rebook our flights by 14th August by which time their 2021 schedule will be published, our land tour company have also confirmed they will credit us and will allow us to re-book too.  Its unreasonable to expect cash refunds as that will push all these suppliers under.  Be kind to one another instead and spend money on local services where you can. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Sorry I thought it was banned till July 1st (so far). Has this moved now to July 31st because that takes our cruise out.

We’re in the Muse in June. Anchorage to Vancouver. Not a word of cancellation. The ban seems to be for ships over 500 pax, but I think the Muse is 598?  Nothing has changed on My Silversea. 

Edited by milepig

So sorry Daveywavey 70 to hear your situation. I think the Government will close everyone down soon, for a few weeks only (hopefully). Are you part of a trade group which can lobby for this, so you can make an insurance claim? 

Commiserations Daveywavey.. you are not an orphan but that doesn't ease the pain

6 hours ago, milepig said:

We’re in the Muse in June. Anchorage to Vancouver. Not a word of cancellation. The ban seems to be for ships over 500 pax, but I think the Muse is 598?  Nothing has changed on My Silversea. 

It is strange that Silversea is still showing  May and June  Alaska itineraries with Canadian ports.   As for the ban it’s actually all souls on board including staff, crew, and passengers so at around 1,000 total Muse is double the limit.   

They could swap with one of their smaller ships - but it is moot because for now all flights are banned too, so many of us could not get there.

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

They could swap with one of their smaller ships - but it is moot because for now all flights are banned too, so many of us could not get there.

How long is the flight ban? Into June?

We cancelled our 2 segments of next January's world cruise  because we could still get a refund. At this point, we're trying to reschedule a different cruise that was cancelled to that timeframe since we don't want to lose all of our 40k on a cruiseline that won't give a refund, and won't tell us what they'll give us for a rebooking in the next 18 months, and has no equivalent cruise during that timeframe.

But we had already cancelled the Silversea FLL to Auckland next year before we found out about the other cruiseline cancelling at the last minute. That was based on the experiences that those onboard posted this year when it came to Lima to French Polynesia and beyond. The weather was bad on the way there, and if I couldn't go ashore on Easter Island, while others who had flown there were picked up by tender, I may have jumped overboard and tried to swim ashore. Also, there have been way too many Silversea ships with coronavirus onboard. That's not acceptable going forward. It shows that just as with the Princess cruises, they're either not effecitively screening those who are boarding, not following effective isolation and cleaning procedures onboard, or they're allowing crew members to move between ships at a time when that is no longer an acceptable practice.

We enjoyed our Silvesea experience on Silver Whisper a few years ago, and were looking forward to our next cruise,  but we just couldn't do it.

20 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We cancelled our 2 segments of next January's world cruise  because we could still get a refund. At this point, we're trying to reschedule a different cruise that was cancelled to that timeframe since we don't want to lose all of our 40k on a cruiseline that won't give a refund, and won't tell us what they'll give us for a rebooking in the next 18 months, and has no equivalent cruise during that timeframe.

But we had already cancelled the Silversea FLL to Auckland next year before we found out about the other cruiseline cancelling at the last minute. That was based on the experiences that those onboard posted this year when it came to Lima to French Polynesia and beyond. The weather was bad on the way there, and if I couldn't go ashore on Easter Island, while others who had flown there were picked up by tender, I may have jumped overboard and tried to swim ashore. Also, there have been way too many Silversea ships with coronavirus onboard. That's not acceptable going forward. It shows that just as with the Princess cruises, they're either not effecitively screening those who are boarding, not following effective isolation and cleaning procedures onboard, or they're allowing crew members to move between ships at a time when that is no longer an acceptable practice.

We enjoyed our Silvesea experience on Silver Whisper a few years ago, and were looking forward to our next cruise,  but we just couldn't do it.

It's such a tough decision for many reasons.

For us one of the reasons was to accept our huge risk factors which we never had to think of in terms of taking a cruise.

9 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I think that is unfair, what constitutes effective screening? However it is irrelevant, you have cancelled and will get a full refund.

7 hours ago, G2G said:

I think that is unfair, what constitutes effective screening? However it is irrelevant, you have cancelled and will get a full refund.

Agreed. My understanding from posts on the affected sailings on these boards is that in both cases a single passenger has been ill from the coronavirus. The fact that it hasn't rapidly spread to others on the ships seems like a huge testimony to Silversea's onboard practices.  

14 hours ago, G2G said:

Oh...sorry, I thought the topic was "who is cancelling, and who is not". Maybe it was supposed to be just a poll with a yes or no answer, and not the reason why we chose to do that. Effective screening looks twice at those that have a better chance of bringing it onboard, and stops them from boarding, even if they don't like it. But I gave my additional reasons for cancelling, which added together, were the basis for our decision.

I got in touch with my TA about the Muse in Alaska in June. I was holding back as I known he’s busy with multiple large trips to SE Asia but I asked and he essentially said that he’s frustrated that SS waits so long and that he’s watching for us. 

If we could still travel in mid-July we will do. I am so sorry to have to write off a whole year - I only have a finite number of them left. 

The 125% future cruise credit upon cancellation does us little good.  We have the Silver Galapagos cruise booked for May 23 and, if we tried to shift that booking to next year on the Origin, we would come up short.  Our problem is that we have a great deal on the Silver Galapagos.  One cabin is a deluxe verandah and the other is an Explorer Suite.  We are in $36K in total and two lowest cabins on the Origin would cost us about $40K.   The second cabin is for our younger 20's kids.  They would never go on another Silversea cruise and we probably wouldn't either.  If I could get our money back right now, I would.  I'm hoping they cancel the cruise and refund our money.  Maybe they would offer my travel agent a deal to move booking at no additional cost to Origin same time next year, but I doubt it.  My best case scenario is that.  My second best is getting our fare refunded, and third best is being able to take the cruise as planned on the 23rd.

7 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

The 125% future cruise credit upon cancellation does us little good.  We have the Silver Galapagos cruise booked for May 23 and, if we tried to shift that booking to next year on the Origin, we would come up short.  Our problem is that we have a great deal on the Silver Galapagos.  One cabin is a deluxe verandah and the other is an Explorer Suite.  We are in $36K in total and two lowest cabins on the Origin would cost us about $40K.   The second cabin is for our younger 20's kids.  They would never go on another Silversea cruise and we probably wouldn't either.  If I could get our money back right now, I would.  I'm hoping they cancel the cruise and refund our money.  Maybe they would offer my travel agent a deal to move booking at no additional cost to Origin same time next year, but I doubt it.  My best case scenario is that.  My second best is getting our fare refunded, and third best is being able to take the cruise as planned on the 23rd.

We were on the sailing a week after you and in the same situation, we have asked our Agent to find out what the cost of the “same time next year” cruise will be but expect them to ask for more money, we have our flights held on credit with LATAM but their flights from AUS via Auckland to Santiago may not come back, assuming LATAM continue, am thinking to use the Silversea credit for a different sailing and purchase an alternate for Galapagos for next year, a different ship, I seriously don’ believe you will be offered the third best as I doubt anything will be back to normal by then.  The good news (I hope) is that neither of us has COVID 19 - stay safe!!

5 hours ago, wendy_woo said:

We were on the sailing a week after you and in the same situation, we have asked our Agent to find out what the cost of the “same time next year” cruise will be but expect them to ask for more money, we have our flights held on credit with LATAM but their flights from AUS via Auckland to Santiago may not come back, assuming LATAM continue, am thinking to use the Silversea credit for a different sailing and purchase an alternate for Galapagos for next year, a different ship, I seriously don’ believe you will be offered the third best as I doubt anything will be back to normal by then.  The good news (I hope) is that neither of us has COVID 19 - stay safe!!

I try not to even think about the May 23 cruise, but just have so much money tied up in it.  I'd actually prefer to go next year.  The other alternative is getting the refund and booking it on the Celebrity Xpedition.    Yes, the good news is that we don't have COVID-19.  I suppose Silversea will tell us soon enough.

I think that maybe all travel (not just cruises) will be up to double in price next year, to make up everyone's deficit for this year. So 125% FCC is not as generous as they make out! Also we booked our cruise as soon as it came out 2 years ago - and already I think it was showing as double what we paid. But as you say - we are healthy, and also touch wood not in danger of losing our jobs (I bury people!). So I shall take the hit and rebook when I can. I guess I will never try and book 2 years in advance again, sob. 

29 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think that maybe all travel (not just cruises) will be up to double in price next year, to make up everyone's deficit for this year. So 125% FCC is not as generous as they make out! Also we booked our cruise as soon as it came out 2 years ago - and already I think it was showing as double what we paid. But as you say - we are healthy, and also touch wood not in danger of losing our jobs (I bury people!). So I shall take the hit and rebook when I can. I guess I will never try and book 2 years in advance again, sob. 

Overall, I think this pandemic will cripple the cruise industry for years and prices could drop for a while.  It might not impact Galapagos where inventory is at a premium, and that's the reason I'll just take my refund and move on.  If this were a different itinerary (and my young 20s kids weren't booked with us), I might take the 125%.  We have Japan booked on Azamara next spring and I am totally shocked that they haven't lowered prices.  

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think that maybe all travel (not just cruises) will be up to double in price next year, to make up everyone's deficit for this year. So 125% FCC is not as generous as they make out! 

They'll be fools if they do. Us avid cruisers will be back as soon as we're able to but the general public will need quite a lot of persuading and it will take time to regain their confidence. Combined with the large additional capacity in the industry coming online this year I think they'll be very hard pushed to fill their cabins.  I Suspect that the prices are high right now as people will be rushing to rebook but as time goes on they will come down. Maybe just sit on that FCC for a while until things settle down. My partner is a TA and has recently booked some really good deals for next year but that was on another line. 

4 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I think the opposite - at least in terms of incentives to get their frequent cruises back - they have the loyalty, they can leverage that.