Dr. Fauci: "Above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

SumoCitrus

CDC's latest guidance is that people "over 60" and anyone with underlying health conditions, stay at home, stock up on groceries and medicines so as to avoid social interaction as much as possible.

Note that both groups are at greater risk; i.e. those over 60 and persons of any age with underlying health conditions. The risk compounds for those over 60 whose health is also compromised by underlying health conditions. 

“This virus is capable of spreading easily and sustainably from person to person ... and there’s essentially no immunity against this virus in the population,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call, citing World Health Organization data that studied more than 70,000 cases in China.

“It’s fair to say that, as the trajectory of the outbreak continues, many people in the United States will at some point in time, either this year or next, be exposed to this virus and there’s a good chance many will become sick,” she said. Most people won’t develop serious symptoms, she said, adding that 15% to 20% of the people who are exposed to the virus get severely sick.

Of the 70,000 cases WHO scientists looked at, only about 2% were in people younger than 19. The odds of developing COVID-19 increase with age, starting at age 60. It’s especially lethal for people over 80. 

“This seems to be a disease that affects adults and most seriously older adults,” she said. “Starting at age 60, there is an increasing risk of disease and the risk increases with age.” 

People with diabetes, heart disease, lung disease and other serious underlying conditions are more likely to develop “serious outcomes, including death,” she said.

The CDC is recommending people with underlying conditions or who are over 60 to stock up on medications, household items and groceries to stay at home “for a period of time,” 

Edited by voyageur9
typos

The Seattle Times reported today that the first cruise ship due on April 1st is the Grand Princess.  The CDC and the Coast Guard will determine if it is able to dock here for the day.  It sounds like it may skip Seattle and go on to British Columbia.  They should keep the crew onboard as Seattle is a hot spot for the virus.

Edited by Galley Slave
correction

29 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

CDC's latest guidance is that people "over 60" and anyone with underlying health conditions, stay at home, stock up on groceries and medicines so as to avoid social interaction as much as possible.

For those interested, there is a full transcript of Dr. Messionnier's news conference. UPDATE: my apologies, the transcript link is the Mar 3 conference. I will post the more recent one as soon as it is available.

Here is the audio of Monday, Mar 9 news conference with the updated advice. Written transcript will follow.

Edited by voyageur9
updated info, adding audio link

In my opinion, one of the best "spice of life" things is how different we all are. I've met folks who are very risk averse and tend to opt for the safest course of action (folks of all ages, btw). Some might think they are paranoid, but they are just doing what is best for them. I've also met folks who are thrill seekers, risk takers, and perhaps might be viewed as reckless. Some might think they are foolish, but they are just doing what is best for them.

I think we can all agree that wherever you fall on that spectrum is ok so long as you are not endangering or harassing others. 

Take Fauci's guidance however you want to. For some it will mean no cruises until this blows over. For others it will mean nothing. At some point an external force might make the decision for you (i.e., cancelled cruises or forced quarantine), but I hope that doesn't happen. I get the sense that we are emerging from a period of uncertainty now and that there might be a turn here in the near future. I surely hope so. These companies and their employees don't deserve to be harmed over unnecessary panic, if it ends up being unnecessary.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

In my opinion, one of the best "spice of life" things is how different we all are. I've met folks who are very risk averse and tend to opt for the safest course of action (folks of all ages, btw). Some might think they are paranoid, but they are just doing what is best for them. I've also met folks who are thrill seekers, risk takers, and perhaps might be viewed as reckless. Some might think they are foolish, but they are just doing what is best for them.

I think we can all agree that wherever you fall on that spectrum is ok so long as you are not endangering or harassing others. 

Take Fauci's guidance however you want to. For some it will mean no cruises until this blows over. For others it will mean nothing. At some point an external force might make the decision for you (i.e., cancelled cruises or forced quarantine), but I hope that doesn't happen. I get the sense that we are emerging from a period of uncertainty now and that there might be a turn here in the near future. I surely hope so. These companies and their employees don't deserve to be harmed over unnecessary panic, if it ends up being unnecessary.

Well said. Seems there is a lot of of "why stay calm when you can panic" going around.

• Like 7

It is such a first world problem.  Some people have lost relatives to this disease.  Other have older relatives who are ill.  We know at least one person who has already lost their job because of the impact on their employer.  

Hard to us to get excited over someone’s cruise being cancelled or feeling sorry that they , and we, have to change leisure travel plans when others are seriously impacted by this instead of just inconvenienced.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

We cruise on May 3 out of Seattle.  Right now we are "SAIL ONWARD!!!"

We are in our 40s and good health.....of course a CV would tell you real quick if you truly are in "good health."

We are that crowd of not letting things slow us down but I have to consider what my actions may do to others.  There has not been a case in our state but it is just a matter of time and that is probably when everyone here starts really changing their behavior to limit exposure (probably a little late.)  Right now it is wash your hands, don't touch your face, avoid crowds, and wash your hands again.

Some co-workers know we have a cruise planned......one starts freaking out......the other says go man go.  I am curious if our company will mandate some restrictions on personal travel such as my cruise.  Spring break is coming up in 2 weeks here and I know there will be many vacations that co-workers will take (we are not because our kids are out of the house......for now....) and risk exposure.

I think cruising is getting a bad rap right now.  Airlines, concerts, sporting events, church, grocery store, work.........they are all contagious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iancal said:

It is such a first world problem.  Some people have lost relatives to this disease.  Other have older relatives who are ill.  We know at least one person who has already lost their job because of the impact on their employer.  

Hard to us to get excited over someone’s cruise being cancelled or feeling sorry that they , and we, have to change leisure travel plans when others are seriously impacted by this instead of just inconvenienced.

That does put a lot into perspective.  It seems like such a problem in our own little bubble but in the end it, my cruise doesn't even register as a blip on the world radar.

I mentioned in my post above, I'm not afraid of going.  It's the risk I could put others in when I return. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Alibaster McGillicutty said:

I think cruising is getting a bad rap right now.  Airlines, concerts, sporting events, church, grocery store, work.........they are all contagious.

I agree. I suppose there might be more risk of catching the virus because people are in the same contained area for longer than a concert or church, or even work. But from a public health standpoint, a cruise ship is an isolated population that is easy to KEEP isolated, even if only one person out of several thousand people has the virus. After the Diamond Princess mess, ports and governments are afraid that a cruise ship is a likely source of infection. And it's a source they can CONTROL, even if the control measures are unfair when compared to flights and church and work. 

Our paper this morning said that BC is considering not letting the cruise ships dock in Vancouver or Victoria.  I wonder what that will do to Alaska cruises.  Maybe they will have to go to Mexico for their foreign port!

4 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Our paper this morning said that BC is considering not letting the cruise ships dock in Vancouver or Victoria.  I wonder what that will do to Alaska cruises.  Maybe they will have to go to Mexico for their foreign port!

.....or Russia!  (After all, can't most alaskans see Russia from their back yards?) :classic_dry:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, seaoma said:

Does anyone have knowledge of a cruise passenger or crew diagnosed with Coronavirus that has not been tied, in some way, to the Diamond Princess?

Yes, the situation on the Grand Princess where, so far, 19 crew and 2 passengers have tested positive.  And a passenger from the prior Mexican Riviera cruise has died from COVID-19.  None of this is related to the Diamond Princess.

Hank

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, the situation on the Grand Princess where, so far, 19 crew and 2 passengers have tested positive.  And a passenger from the prior Mexican Riviera cruise has died from COVID-19.  None of this is related to the Diamond Princess.

Hank

Actually, crew were transferred to the Grand Princess from the Diamond Princess, so there is the possibility that it is related to the Diamond Princess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seaoma said:

Does anyone have knowledge of a cruise passenger or crew diagnosed with Coronavirus that has not been tied, in some way, to the Diamond Princess?

Most of the cases we have here in Houston are from a Nile River cruise.

5 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

Most of the cases we have here in Houston are from a Nile River cruise.

It appears from reading, they think it began with a dozen Egyptian crew members that contracted the virus, but did not show symptoms. It doesn't say, however, how they came to that conclusion.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

.....or Russia!  (After all, can't most alaskans see Russia from their back yards?) :classic_dry:

Thanks, I needed a smile! 

I wonder if the US will suspend the PVSA (I think that's the right order of letters) because of difficulty with the foreign port stops.

Italy is now just getting the worst of this virus. The USA has not seen the worst. I've read several posts from doctors on the front lines in Italy. I'm sharing one of them. This is why we are starting to get these no travel warnings. We don't want to happen here, what is happening in Italy. They are warning us to take this virus seriously. 

https://www.newsweek.com/doctor-coronavirus-stricken-italy-details-whats-happening-his-hospital-every-ventilator-1491436

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I agree. I suppose there might be more risk of catching the virus because people are in the same contained area for longer than a concert or church, or even work. But from a public health standpoint, a cruise ship is an isolated population that is easy to KEEP isolated, even if only one person out of several thousand people has the virus. After the Diamond Princess mess, ports and governments are afraid that a cruise ship is a likely source of infection. And it's a source they can CONTROL, even if the control measures are unfair when compared to flights and church and work. 

Not only that, but during a multi day cruise the odds of at least incidental contact (in the theater, in the buffet, in a lounge, on an excursion bus, passing in the same always, touching the same rails, etc is fairly high. 

Where as one sick person at a large sporting event that last a couple hours will only have contact with a relatively few fairly close around them.  You might cancel the sporting even because it can pass to several others.  On the other hand if you have one case on a cruise ship, especially at the end of a cruise,  you are very likely to have others infected.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, atexsix said:

930 active u.s. cases, 99% of which are defined as mild illness

think about that

source: worldometers

So far.  If they contain it and get some testing done.

JMO but I think the U.S. is more risky than some areas in Europe right now.  No testing,  precautions to only those areas that are obviously hit.  No plan in place.  It’s scary.

Make light of it all you want while Seattle is nearly a ghost town from the news I am seeing?  This is NOT the flu.  It’s a virus for which we have no vaccine which is far more contagious and while many cases may be mild it’s taking it’s death toll.

Not cruising right now and being stuck on a ship and not going to the United States where there is no protocol in place and little leadership from what I have seen.  Sorry. But that’s the way I see it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1