Jump to content

Breeze Eastern v Horizon Southern?


Gatordad815
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all! I’m reluctantly beginning to accept the fact that we will be canceling our Spring Break cruise plans (Breeze Eastern March 21). While the virus itself doesn’t scare me (two healthy adults in early 40s and two young kids ages 4 and 6), the risk of a quarantine with 2 kids in a 185-square foot room or some other unforeseeable situation does concern me. In looking at alternative options to use the FCC this summer, I see 2 cruises that interest me: the exact Breeze Eastern itinerary we are already booked on (Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) or the Horizon 8 night Southern itinerary (Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, Amber Cove). All ports but St. Thomas would be new to us.

 

We haven’t previously sailed Carnival (prior family cruises have been on Oasis class ships). Given our kids’ ages, and taking into account the bells and whistles and general condition of each ship, as well as the different ports, which itinerary would you recommend? 

 

Any advice from the expert Carnival cruisers would be appreciated!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! I’m reluctantly beginning to accept the fact that we will be canceling our Spring Break cruise plans (Breeze Eastern March 21). While the virus itself doesn’t scare me (two healthy adults in early 40s and two young kids ages 4 and 6), the risk of a quarantine with 2 kids in a 185-square foot room or some other unforeseeable situation does concern me. In looking at alternative options to use the FCC this summer, I see 2 cruises that interest me: the exact Breeze Eastern itinerary we are already booked on (Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) or the Horizon 8 night Southern itinerary (Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, Amber Cove). All ports but St. Thomas would be new to us.

 

We haven’t previously sailed Carnival (prior family cruises have been on Oasis class ships). Given our kids’ ages, and taking into account the bells and whistles and general condition of each ship, as well as the different ports, which itinerary would you recommend? 

 

Any advice from the expert Carnival cruisers would be appreciated!

 

 

We have been on the breeze in Vista class ships and do not care for the bigger ships don't like the layouts just our opinion we are going out the breeze again in November and it has become our favorite ship as for itineraries we've been to all the islands and it's more of a preference than anything else it's kind of just what you like and hard to decide between all of them as for our choice it would be the breeze

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2020 at 1:17 PM, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! I’m reluctantly beginning to accept the fact that we will be canceling our Spring Break cruise plans (Breeze Eastern March 21). While the virus itself doesn’t scare me (two healthy adults in early 40s and two young kids ages 4 and 6), the risk of a quarantine with 2 kids in a 185-square foot room or some other unforeseeable situation does concern me. In looking at alternative options to use the FCC this summer, I see 2 cruises that interest me: the exact Breeze Eastern itinerary we are already booked on (Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) or the Horizon 8 night Southern itinerary (Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, Amber Cove). All ports but St. Thomas would be new to us.

 

We haven’t previously sailed Carnival (prior family cruises have been on Oasis class ships). Given our kids’ ages, and taking into account the bells and whistles and general condition of each ship, as well as the different ports, which itinerary would you recommend? 

 

Any advice from the expert Carnival cruisers would be appreciated!

 

 

St Thomas is my all time fav island.  Would live there if possible.  Haven’t been to amber cove so no comment. San Juan is lovely but not sure how much has been or will be repaired from multiple storms when you go.   We did Horizon to Southern last April & loved it.  Wasn’t much in GT for us but most people we talked to went to a beach within walking distance and had a great time.   Loved Curaçao & Aruba.   Weather perfect in both (always a breeze in Aruba).   My vote goes for Southern 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Breeze is a great ship. Never been on the Horizon.  I like the itinerary on the Horizon better.  I love Aruba and Curaçao.  Love St. Thomas too.  I hope this flu thing subsides by summer.  Have a great trip whichever one you pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, patrickiii said:

We have been on the breeze in Vista class ships and do not care for the bigger ships don't like the layouts just our opinion we are going out the breeze again in November and it has become our favorite ship as for itineraries we've been to all the islands and it's more of a preference than anything else it's kind of just what you like and hard to decide between all of them as for our choice it would be the breeze


I am confused by your post. You said you don’t care for the bigger ships but than said you are going on Breeze again and it is your favorite ship. Breeze and Vista are basically the same size (130 GT vs 133.5 GT) so the majority of your post implies you like the bigger ships. I do agree that picking Breeze over Horizon would be an easy choice in my book, unless you had a strong desire to do a Southern Caribbean cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/8/2020 at 2:17 PM, Gatordad815 said:

Hi all! I’m reluctantly beginning to accept the fact that we will be canceling our Spring Break cruise plans (Breeze Eastern March 21). While the virus itself doesn’t scare me (two healthy adults in early 40s and two young kids ages 4 and 6), the risk of a quarantine with 2 kids in a 185-square foot room or some other unforeseeable situation does concern me. In looking at alternative options to use the FCC this summer, I see 2 cruises that interest me: the exact Breeze Eastern itinerary we are already booked on (Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) or the Horizon 8 night Southern itinerary (Aruba, Curaçao, La Romana, Amber Cove). All ports but St. Thomas would be new to us.

 

We haven’t previously sailed Carnival (prior family cruises have been on Oasis class ships). Given our kids’ ages, and taking into account the bells and whistles and general condition of each ship, as well as the different ports, which itinerary would you recommend? 

 

Any advice from the expert Carnival cruisers would be appreciated!

 

 

I went on the Breeze and had the same itinerary that you are researching.  I loved all ports.  The kids camp on the Breeze looked great and many families raved about how the kids didn't want to leave.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  It would come down to airfare and if I could go the extra day.  Is there an extra sea day on the Horizon?  I find sea days a little boring and would rather be home or at another port.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


I am confused by your post. You said you don’t care for the bigger ships but than said you are going on Breeze again and it is your favorite ship. Breeze and Vista are basically the same size (130 GT vs 133.5 GT) so the majority of your post implies you like the bigger ships. I do agree that picking Breeze over Horizon would be an easy choice in my book, unless you had a strong desire to do a Southern Caribbean cruise. 

I'm sorry I probably should have said the newer ships we don't really care for we've been on the Vista and really don't like the layouts the theater smaller the dining rooms are a little different we just liked whichever class it is the breeze in the magic and the dream I guess so it's not so much the size of the ships the newer ships just have a different layout

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Longtime RCL cruiser here, I've been on both itineraries in the past year on the same 2 ships (Breeze eastern a couple of weeks ago and 8 day Horizon southern last July).  I enjoyed the Horizon quite a bit better, as well as the itinerary.  Aruba and Curacao and absolutely beautiful and unlike a lot of other islands in the Caribbean that you may have been to.

 

On the surface the ships are similar, but the added features to the Horizon (Jiji's, Imax, Skyride, Indoor Sport Square area, Guy's Pig and Anchor full-size venue, Havana Bar, Ocean Plaza Bar) win out IMO, and the newness of the ship was noticeable to me.  I also preferred the layout on the Horizon, as the smoke from the Casino on the Breeze drifted into some of the ship's common areas occasionally and was a drawback.

 

There's less activities of course compared to an Oasis class ship, but I felt the "fun" vibe (and food) helped cancel out the ship differences a bit on Carnival to the degree that I thought I was a "Carnival person" after sailing on the Horizon.  After sailing the Breeze which has fewer features, I found myself longing a bit for Oasis class RCL or a newly amplified ship, or perhaps even something like the Norwegian Bliss.  

 

I see a lot of folks who have been with Carnival for awhile tend to prefer the Breeze more, those coming from RCL will probably prefer the Vista class more.

 

With kids especially, I would give the Horizon the edge due to the extra features.  

Edited by cbaker1974
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...