1st HAL Cruise-Just Off Oosterdam!

Hogladyrider

We are seasoned platinum Carnival cruisers looking for a change.  We are wintering in Arizona and found a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise on Oosterdam out of San Diego so we went for it......I was nervous as I had read and heard the usual HAL comments.....cruises for old people, very snooty, dressy etc.  

We usually cruise out of Florida as we are Florida residents so I knew nothing about parking or cruising out of California.  I opted to drive in the day before the cruise and we chose a park n cruise option at Comfort Inn.  Comfort Inn is a small hotel, older, but very clean and well kept.  It turned out to be a gem of a find for us and we utilized our time well.  We walked across the street and enjoyed walking up and down the Harborside Boardwalk on Friday afternoon and a great meal at Mitch's for dinner.

After a complimentary breakfast at the hotel, we relaxed in our room until we were ready for our complimentary shuttle to the port.  Great service and we left our vehicle at the inn for the week.

In a nutshell embarkation and debarkation were a breeze, they have it down pat, smooth as a baby's bottom!  No treating the virgins like second class cruisers.

Since it was our first HAL cruise and I wasn't sure we booked an obstructed ocean view room.  We were pleasantly surprised that we could access our room when we boarded and wow the room was spacious for sure....win win for sure.

We knew ahead of time that we had no plans to get off the ship in any of our ports.  We were leaving our options open though just in case.  We wanted to enjoy the ship!

We walked around and we couldn't stop commenting to each other how beautiful everything was and everyone was so friendly.  No waiting on elevators, no pushing and shoving, no running up and down the halls.

The food the entire week was over the top, so many choices.  We ate in the dining room once, by choice, for gala night on Thursday.  I had the surf n turf while my partner had the duck breast.  The lobster was melt in your mouth and the filet had great flavor.  The duck breast was a hit as well. The remainder of the week we ate on Lido.  There were so many choices and we loved the way they served your food ILO serve yourself...less waste and safer for sure.  Oh and the ice cream with waffle cones was an extra added benefit.  The desserts were all very tasty, the banana cream pie reminded me of what my mom made when I was a child and the no sugar added chocolate mouse was silky smooth, the key lime pie was just like what I make!  

The breakfast and lunch choices were just as plentiful and the employees all worked together as a team so well, all with smiles and asking you if needed anything else etc.

We enjoyed all the shows we attended, two Post Mordern Jukebox; comedian; magician; combo comedian & magician.  Billboard Onboard was packed every night and both gents were very talented.  Our favorite wound up being BB King's All Stars...we were there every night.  This group of musicians were so talented and they really love what they do.  They got the crowd out there dancing and  clapping along with them.  An added bonus was on Friday there was a Meet & Greet with the All Stars so we got to know them more which was very interesting.

We loved Happy Hour each day, buy one drink get the 2nd for $2.

There was only one thing that we would say was not as tasty as we've had on Carnival and that was the Dive In burgers do not match Guy's Burgers but hey I can have a burger at home anytime so no deal breaker there.

Overall we are now hooked on HAL.  Not sure about the larger HAL ships but we will give them a try.  Oosterdam was the perfect size for our tastes.  We met so many nice folks and we enjoyed chatting with all of them.

We saw whales and sea lions right from the ship and the views from the ship while we were in all three ports were picturesque for sure.

Now I just have to find a TA for future cruises I booked this direct with HAL.

Any questions, ask away, I still need to unpack but we have tons of great memories!

Susan

• Like 7

Glad you enjoyed the O'dam so much!  For your next HAL cruise if you find an itinerary that suits you on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam I believe you would enjoy those ships as well. They both have my favorite HAL restaurant, the Tamarind, and aren't much larger than the O'dam.  I would not recommend the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam, as they are too non-traditional HAL IMO.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 2

Enjoyed reading your review. We recently spent 2 weeks on the Oosterdam and love the ship and staff.  We first started out on the small Ryndam years ago and I was worried about “bigger” ships.  But, we’ve been on the Koningsdam several times now and love it as well.  So, find an itinerary that suits you and don’t hesitate to try HAL’s newer ships.  

• Like 2

Thanks for posting and I’m so happy that you enjoyed the Oosterdam.  Each ship class has something special and unique about it but my favorite is Pinnacle-class.  (Koningsdam) Love those walk-in showers and specialty dining options.  Welcome to Holland America!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Each ship class has something special and unique about it but my favorite is Pinnacle-class.  (Koningsdam) Love those walk-in showers and specialty dining options. 

This is how I feel about HAL's different Classes of ships.  The Pinnacle Class staterooms with the walk-in showers: enjoyed them!  The increase in the number and type of dining options: enjoyed that.  The different entertainment options in the evening: choice is good and I enjoyed that.  Much of the art work (this was on Nieuw Statendam):  not to my taste.  

• Like 1

Welcome to HAL!  I don't know the various tiers of Carnival Line's loyalty status but you are apparently high.  I feel that it's a shame that CCL corporate doesn't share status between lines as RCCL corporate does.  Anyway, that's JMO so don't I want the rest of the HAL high-status folks to flame me.

I agree with most of the other posters here that you won't lose too much of our very unique HAL ambience if you try the slightly larger Signature Sisters (Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam).  Tamarind restaurant makes it worth it.  And next cruise on one of our dam ships you need to try a Pinnacle burger for lunch.

And I don't even know why I'm "talking" to a Harley rider 😉😉😉.  When I was still riding I had a BMW.   Well, also a Honda and a Yamaha.  But Brunnhilde, the beemer, was my favorite.

Edited by Av8rix

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Thanks for posting and I’m so happy that you enjoyed the Oosterdam.  Each ship class has something special and unique about it but my favorite is Pinnacle-class.  (Koningsdam) Love those walk-in showers and specialty dining options.  Welcome to Holland America!

And my favourite is the Dutch Cafe-love their lattes!  

10 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I agree with most of the other posters here that you won't lose too much of our very unique HAL ambience if you try the slightly larger Signature Sisters (Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam).  Tamarind restaurant makes it worth it. 

Agree.  Tamarind is a pleasant and delicious dining experience.  For the Pinnacle Class ships, adding Rudi's "ups" the dining experience another notch, in my opinion.

Just disembarked from our first HAL cruise also !!  We are Elite with Princess, and Platinum Plus with NCL (previously our two favorites),  have also sailed several times on Celebrity and Carnival. This was our 42nd cruise.

Decided to try HAL (finally) we live in Arizona - easy to cruise in and out of San Diego.

Will write a complete review when I get the chance - but just wanted to make a couple of comments - the service and attitude (friendly, smiling, welcoming) of all of the HAL Crew/Staff was absolutely wonderful ! - We were in a Neptune Suite - didn't use the services of the Neptune Lounge Concierges' very much - but loved the other suite perks - the breakfast in the Pinnacle Restaurant each morning, etc.

A couple of (small, but very much appreciated) Suite perks that HAL offers that the other cruise lines do not were: the clock on the wall in our room (that changed whenever there was a time-zone change automatically - I think 3 times on a 7 day cruise) and the FREE Laundry !

We really missed out on the Entertainment, I guess.  There was absolutely no description of the type of entertainment in the daily "What and Where" literature each day.  W had no idea if the entertainment was a magician, a juggler, a vocalist , or whatever ! - We did happen to catch the 2 piano  players in the Billboard Lounge one night (by accident) 

Loved the size of the ship - and that we NEVER had to wait for an elevator !

We did find out the the ship only had 1732 passengers on this itinerary, and that 9 Korean Nationals were denied boarding;

and that only 1500 or so passengers were booked for the one following ours (departing San Diego on March 8th) the Concierge  commented on the large number of cancellations.  

Question:  Our Credit Card was charged $822.22 on the 2nd day of our Cruise (March 1st) -

(in addition to our actual charge for the week - which was charged the day we disembarked (which makes sense) 

Is that strange amount of $822.22 supposed to represent just a "test hold" on our Credit Card ??? or ???

Edited by GreenValleyDogWalker
typo

I leave on the Oosterdam on Saturday!  Did they do an "Orange" night?  Need to know if I'm packing the orange tshirt. Or not!

Did you do any shore excursions through the ship?  If so, what were they like?

Edited by fabuloso

1 minute ago, fabuloso said:

I leave on the Oosterdam on Saturday!  Did they do an "Orange" night?  Need to know if I'm packing the orange tshirt. Or not!

Well - yes there was an Orange night ....not much promotion of if ....just a small little note on the daily When and Where - and I certainly didn't see very many people wearing Orange that night (although I DID!)  

• Like 1

Glad you are won over by HAL! We have found the Vista class ships just our size as well -- Noordam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Westerdam (North/East/South/West).

Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam will feel very similar; they have the same general layout, but one more deck of staterooms and a sort of tower in the middle where the Tamarind restaurant and bar/lounge (I think still there?) are. The Nieuw Amsterdam *I* thought had a bit too modern decor, but I'm still trying the Nieuw Statendam next January and it is supposed to be even more modern. 

47 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Just disembarked from our first HAL cruise also !!  We are Elite with Princess, and Platinum Plus with NCL (previously our two favorites),  have also sailed several times on Celebrity and Carnival. This was our 42nd cruise.

Decided to try HAL (finally) we live in Arizona - easy to cruise in and out of San Diego.

Will write a complete review when I get the chance - but just wanted to make a couple of comments - the service and attitude (friendly, smiling, welcoming) of all of the HAL Crew/Staff was absolutely wonderful ! - We were in a Neptune Suite - didn't use the services of the Neptune Lounge Concierges' very much - but loved the other suite perks - the breakfast in the Pinnacle Restaurant each morning, etc.

A couple of (small, but very much appreciated) Suite perks that HAL offers that the other cruise lines do not were: the clock on the wall in our room (that changed whenever there was a time-zone change automatically - I think 3 times on a 7 day cruise) and the FREE Laundry !

We really missed out on the Entertainment, I guess.  There was absolutely no description of the type of entertainment in the daily "What and Where" literature each day.  W had no idea if the entertainment was a magician, a juggler, a vocalist , or whatever ! - We did happen to catch the 2 piano  players in the Billboard Lounge one night (by accident) 

Loved the size of the ship - and that we NEVER had to wait for an elevator !

We did find out the the ship only had 1732 passengers on this itinerary, and that 9 Korean Nationals were denied boarding;

and that only 1500 or so passengers were booked for the one following ours (departing San Diego on March 8th) the Concierge  commented on the large number of cancellations.  

Question:  Our Credit Card was charged $822.22 on the 2nd day of our Cruise (March 1st) -

(in addition to our actual charge for the week - which was charged the day we disembarked (which makes sense) 

Is that strange amount of $822.22 supposed to represent just a "test hold" on our Credit Card ??? or ???

We have been charged as a "pending" charge each cruise which is a hold toward charges made while on board.  At the end of the cruise you will only be charged for what you actually spent.  

6 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

We have been charged as a "pending" charge each cruise which is a hold toward charges made while on board.  At the end of the cruise you will only be charged for what you actually spent.  

Thanks - that what I guessed it was - it just was such a strange amount !!

THANK YOU 

Welcome to HAL and i would definitely tell you to try the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam at least once.  I love the Vista class ships and did not think i would enjoy the Pinnacle classships but was i wrong, they are, IMHO, a great addition to the HAL fleet and give us options. 

• Like 1

On cruises 25 days and under, HAL puts a hold on the credit card you place on file of $60 per person/per day.  For cruises 26 days and up, the hold is $30 per person/per day.   Occasionally, if you have a good amount of onboard cabin credit, the hold will not be the full amount.  For a 7 day cruise, for 2 people in a cabin, the hold should have been $840.   The hold usually drops off of our credit card by the 5th or 6th day.   HAL just want to make sure you've got sufficient funds on your card to handle the average guest's spending onboard.

Orange night was alive and well on both Volendam and Eurodam in December/January.

Special Orange t-shirts were sold in the Shops of Board.  The bar staff wore them as well.

What's the Orange Night Party?  It's just another party with the addition of a few Dutch oriented tid-bits.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Welcome to HAL!  I don't know the various tiers of Carnival Line's loyalty status but you are apparently high.  I feel that it's a shame that CCL corporate doesn't share status between lines as RCCL corporate does.  Anyway, that's JMO so don't I want the rest of the HAL high-status folks to flame me.

I agree with most of the other posters here that you won't lose too much of our very unique HAL ambience if you try the slightly larger Signature Sisters (Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam).  Tamarind restaurant makes it worth it.  And next cruise on one of our dam ships you need to try a Pinnacle burger for lunch.

And I don't even know why I'm "talking" to a Harley rider 😉😉😉.  When I was still riding I had a BMW.   Well, also a Honda and a Yamaha.  But Brunnhilde, the beemer, was my favorite.

Also had a beemer for about 7 years and really enjoyed the rides, particularly the long ones. R100/7!

• Like 1

Hogladyrider:

Thank you for your review and happy you enjoyed your cruise on the Oosterdam.  We have been her 3 times and each was a pleasure.  Yes, San Diego is an easy port for those of us in AZ, although we usually fly.  AndvI think you would like all the HAL ships if you liked the Oosterdam.  Thanks again for taking the time to post.

2 hours ago, fabuloso said:

Did you do any shore excursions through the ship?  If so, what were they like?

Yes they did have an Orange night.....party continued in BB King's and it was fun seeing everyone in Orange....the bass player was wearing an orange wig.

We did not do any shore excursions, we never got off the ship, our choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Av8rix said:

FORMER Harley rider....gave up Harley's moved over to Goldwing and retired from riding two years ago.  We now have a Honda side by side we absolutely love and I feel much safer.

It was not the bike I had issues with it was the other folks on the road that I no longer felt safe.  Call is an "age" thing now that I'm retired I want to hang around and enjoy it for a while.  We know too many people who have had bike accidents from crazy drivers etc.  It's been a win win for us!  We live full time in our toy hauler RV and travel all over US summering in the Black Hills of South Dakota!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hogladyrider said:

It was not the bike I had issues with it was the other folks on the road that I no longer felt safe.  Call is an "age" thing now that I'm retired I want to hang around and enjoy it for a while.  We know too many people who have had bike accidents from crazy drivers etc. 

And that's why I quit biking also.  Always felt safe (well, as safe as possible) even long-distance touring on my own back in the '70s, '80s and maybe early '90s.  But now with cellphones, increased incidence of drug usage, etc -- no way!

I apologize for causing thread drift.

• Like 1