Jump to content

Oh, well...the thought of our Mediterranean cruise was nice while it lasted


Recommended Posts

We are meant to sail out Civitavecchia May 18th,  not sure that's going to happen now, in fact I doubt it can.

All our well layed plans are up in the air, we fly from Australia. It's like we are doing a mystery tour now as we have no idea what's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m due to sail from Barcelona on May 10th..  a couple of months ago the studio cabins were fully booked. Now there’s availability but the price is less than $100 cheaper than the price I paid when I booked the cruise last year. There are definitely other European cruises with significantly lower fares from ncl now.. I suspect some itineraries might change if the Italian outbreak spreads to the provinces with the ports on our itineraries. The main gotcha is Venice, if you’re on a sailing from there early in the season it could be at risk. Right now Lombardy (Milan area) has been closed down, full quarantine... Italian authorities are also talking about doing the same for Veneto (Venice) but not as yet. The Venetian authorities aren’t massive fans of cruise ships to start with so if they get an excuse to ban them for a while they will. 
Rome is ok at the moment, some restrictions but not much, if you’re sailing on epic I’d see if you can rejig your travel plans to board in Barcelona or have a backup air routing identified in case Rome does shutdown 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Now the question is even more interesting...will NCL cancel our May 3rd Mediterranean cruise or will they sail with an almost empty ship? 

 

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-state-department-cruise-ships-no-travel

 

Are you on the Epic out of Barcelona?  What are you planning to do?  Since we have up until 48 hours to cancel I think I'm going to wait it out and see what happens.  Was most looking forward to the Italian ports and from what I read earlier a passenger on Regent scheduled to embark on May 9 has already had her itinerary changed.  No longer going to Italy.  Wonder if NCL will follow suit.  Since Barcelona is currently not high risk, I doubt we will get a refund on airfare so if they cancel the cruise maybe we will still go to Barcelona and some other places.  What a bummer this all is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philandjulie said:

Joejoe59 - we are the same.  Just have to go with the flow at this stage.  Flying from Brisbane to New York on 20/4/20 and doing the TA on The Getaway to Rome.  But who knows where we will end up.

Yep it's  all a bit of a mystery at the moment as to where we are going. 

Good luck with your trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on the Escape out of Rome May 3rd. Italy was a bucket list destination for us and the way it's looking now we may end up kicking the bucket before we ever get to see it. We'll probably end up canceling but will wait to see how this shakes out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We are on the Escape out of Rome May 3rd. Italy was a bucket list destination for us and the way it's looking now we may end up kicking the bucket before we ever get to see it. We'll probably end up canceling but will wait to see how this shakes out. 

 

We are on the same cruise. I’m going to hang tight until 30 days out, when the itinerary is confirmed, and then make a decision. If we’re not going to Italy, we’re going to cancel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

 

We are on the same cruise. I’m going to hang tight until 30 days out, when the itinerary is confirmed, and then make a decision. If we’re not going to Italy, we’re going to cancel.

These are my thoughts too, except for May 17th.  My gut tells me we will not be going to Italy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the June 18th out of Rome.  I really hope they let us know sooner than later if the Italy ports are going to change.  I booked this cruise for Greece because I've been to the Italy ports several times.  I would still go, but concerned about the airport in Rome.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...