Jump to content

Might there be upgrades if there are cancellations ??


Recommended Posts

Perhaps someone is on the fence, only mildly disturbed about the health risks of cruising this spring, I am thinking this idea may be good for all.  I am going (if my flight is going!) mid April on AMA to Portugal and I was thinking if there are a few cancellations maybe they may upgrade me from the D to a C or B!!  If there are cancellations, then why not.  And further to the fantasy if a guest thinks there may be an opportunity to get a complementary  upgrade,  it may ease their nerves a bit and proceed with their plan..Cruise lines should suggest this for those just slightly reticent .  What do you think??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great idea.  We totally agree with you, but highly doubt if the cruise line company agrees.  They're hemorrhaging cash right now, & they probably wants to maximize income once we're onboard. 

We've booked the lowest French balcony category on a Tulip time cruise in the Nederlands in 2 weeks, & we doubt if they'll offer a complimentary cabin upgrade, but might consider it if we can get a Suite for less than half upgrade price...

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are in same situation.  We don't sail till May.  My wife says we are not cancelling; although AMA told our travel agent that we have until Mar 15th to cancel and they will offer a future cruise credits towards another cruise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Wow.  First thought is to take advantage of someone else's misfortune.  Seriously doubt a river cruise line would upgrade you to a royal suite because of fewer people on  board.

Most businesses are opportunists and someones "misfortune" is good will for another.  It may help them recover some positive energy. Also I hope you aren't looking at me like some kind of grave robber. I am not looking for someone to postpone a holiday so I get a bigger bed, so calm down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame the media.  Even when Sars was out in early 2000'; social media was just starting to get it's footing and yes we heard about it on evening news; but now social media is 24/7.  Such a shame to scare everyone

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

We are in same situation.  We don't sail till May.  My wife says we are not cancelling; although AMA told our travel agent that we have until Mar 15th to cancel and they will offer a future cruise credits towards another cruise.  

I don't intend to cancel my AMA either I am just hoping TAP doesn't cancel my flight then I will need to cancel. Last minute international air is not affordable and involves multiple stops. I did purchase the travel waiver for that reason

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our biggest concern is my wife's asthma.  She has severe asthma; so she sounds bad all the time; She will be carrying a letter from her Asthma doc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

CUTTERSAM did purchase your air thru AMA?  We booked Delta separate from AMA;  we got a better price by booking directly.  

 

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

CUTTERSAM did you purchase your air thru AMA?  We booked Delta separate from AMA;  we got a better price by booking directly.  

No I always book directly with airline. Keep the fewest amount of people between you and the company in case you have an issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Our biggest concern is my wife's asthma.  She has severe asthma; so she sounds bad all the time; She will be carrying a letter from her Asthma doc.  

Oh dear, yes keep that close at hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

We are in same situation.  We don't sail till May.  My wife says we are not cancelling; although AMA told our travel agent that we have until Mar 15th to cancel and they will offer a future cruise credits towards another cruise.  

I hope you are aware you cannot "cancel for any reason" unless you BUY that Travel Waiver AMA is selling by 3/15 deadline,  Don't want you to be caught in a snafu there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Most businesses are opportunists and someones "misfortune" is good will for another.  It may help them recover some positive energy. Also I hope you aren't looking at me like some kind of grave robber. I am not looking for someone to postpone a holiday so I get a bigger bed, so calm down.


I agree.  At the end of the day, you still go.  The cruise line should be more appreciative to those who go in these challenging time.  Doesn’t hurt anyone to do something nice for everyone on board, especially when there is space.  
 

They can do “nominal” upgrade fee if they want to earn extra cash.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talked to Uniworld today about getting a paid upgrade. No Dice, they wanted full price. I figure I will wait till we sail and then ask while on the ship. They are aware that we are willing to pay for an upgrade, but are not willing to pay full price for one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Enryon said:

Talked to Uniworld today about getting a paid upgrade. No Dice, they wanted full price. I figure I will wait till we sail and then ask while on the ship. They are aware that we are willing to pay for an upgrade, but are not willing to pay full price for one. 

And if you don't ask, the answer is always "no".

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Enryon said:

Talked to Uniworld today about getting a paid upgrade. No Dice, they wanted full price. I figure I will wait till we sail and then ask while on the ship. They are aware that we are willing to pay for an upgrade, but are not willing to pay full price for one. 

If you're a past passenger, and there is space, you will likely get a one category upgrade (except to a suite) as a RHC benefit (even though it is no longer a posted benefit)

 

Robin

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, acwmom said:

If you're a past passenger, and there is space, you will likely get a one category upgrade (except to a suite) as a RHC benefit (even though it is no longer a posted benefit)

 

Robin

 

We are not and the only upgrade we can do is to a suite. We are fine if we don't get an upgrade. Uniworld knows that we are willing to pay quite a bit for an upgrade, but not willing to pay full price. We are 11 days from the sail date so we will see what happens when it gets closer to go time.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just missed. I was on for the 18th.  I have a Crystal cruise on Symphony in October but final payment is due in June. I may deep six that one and remodel a small kitchen instead.  The cruise has stops in Italy and Spain, they are so had hit, tough to know what state they will be in.  Anyone already planned for the fall??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sailing in Oct.  Jumped on a repo cruise from Southampton to Rome.  Had it booked for next year and New England for this year. Swapped both cruises repo this oct and New England Canada Oct 2021 and saved over $2300 plus picked up all inclusive package.

Cruise Itinerary Map

Edited by AF-1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I am sailing in Oct.  Jumped on a repo cruise from Southampton to Rome.  Had it booked for next year and New England for this year. Swapped both cruises repo this oct and New England Canada Oct 2021 and saved over $2300 plus picked up all inclusive package.

Cruise Itinerary Map

That looks great!  What ship (Southampton to Rome)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...