Muster Drill

johno1234

It's USCG required - but packing a lot of people in very close proximity (sardines) for a significant period of time would seem extremely unwise at the moment..

Has anyone on a recent or current cruise noted any changes to the muster drill?

I am of the same opinion, especially on ships where it is held on deck by the lifeboats and you are crammed together...  I was on a ship recently where the drill was looping continually on the TV, and you could not turn it off or change the channel until the drill was over.  EM

14 minutes ago, johno1234 said:

It's USCG required - but packing a lot of people in very close proximity (sardines) for a significant period of time would seem extremely unwise at the moment..

Of course, once you have already joined 4,000 or so people (from all over) on one ship at the moment...

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 2

And crowding during muster drill is so much worse than elevators after the evening show, or the queues at the start of port visits, or the stores during one of their "sales"?  If the possibility of being in a crowd while aboard a ship is of great concern, then a cruise is probably not a good idea for you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, johno1234 said:

That is an interesting observation. The crowding at a typical muster drill is worse than any other thing on the ship.

I like the drill inside much better. I am short and feel overwhelmed at the drills on the promenade decks. Perhaps they should take place immediately upon entrance to the ship. You get funneled into the theatre (which is often on the same deck as embarkation,)  scanned, and then you can go to lunch or to your cabin. Having a few of them "on the hour" might be more effective.

The crew could also go over health precautions at that time.

Edited by Markanddonna

Not altering the muster drill procedures under these circumstances is totally irresponsible. If someone chooses to put themselves at risk going to a crowded party on the lido deck or using the buffet that’s on them. But if we are forced to put ourselves at risk at mandatory crowded muster drills that’s on them. It should be delivered virtually by tv, requiring everyone to stay in the cabin while it’s broadcast to help make sure they watch it, if that’s what they’re worried about. I’m seriously considering not going to it. Don’t know what my “punishment” will be, but it’s got to be better than potentially dying from coronavirus.

25 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

Not altering the muster drill procedures under these circumstances is totally irresponsible. If someone chooses to put themselves at risk going to a crowded party on the lido deck or using the buffet that’s on them. But if we are forced to put ourselves at risk at mandatory crowded muster drills that’s on them. It should be delivered virtually by tv, requiring everyone to stay in the cabin while it’s broadcast to help make sure they watch it, if that’s what they’re worried about. I’m seriously considering not going to it. Don’t know what my “punishment” will be, but it’s got to be better than potentially dying from coronavirus.

Depends on the line.  Most have a makeup drill for those late boarding or missing for some other reason.  On HAL, if you are onboard and do not attend, you are put off the ship .  EM

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

Don’t know what my “punishment” will be, but it’s got to be better than potentially dying from coronavirus.

You'll be forced to do the make up drill in the same small room with all the others that missed the drill. 🤣

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, GlamorousGirl said:

With this attitude, it’s best that you just heed the advice to cancel your cruise. Muster is part of the cruise. If it worries you, don’t go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

This is not a viable option.  The muster drill is mandated by law, not cruise line decision, and the only important part of the drill that is mandated is that all passengers report to their muster location.  While watching life jacket demonstrations on the TV is allowed, the physically reporting to the muster location is required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Interesting question, but Im pretty sure muster drills can’t be altered. They’re required by law, which includes mustering at your station. Muster stations can’t simply be changed on a cruise ship. 

On NCL muster is held in restaurants and the theater, no life jackets.

If someone is worried about muster crowds, a cruise ship is probably a bad place to be.

• Thanks 1

I cant wait for the shows where everyone has to be 3 apart from the next person.

That'll make us all safe.

Anyone else see the shebelives soccer this weekend?

Players shaking elbows instead of hands. But them drinking out of the same water bottles. Lol.

Honestly if the world hasn't  gone bonkers then I am a monkeys uncle.

Edited by That sinking feeling
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, johno1234 said:

"(from all over)"

I'm pretty sure they don't allow anyone who has recently been to China, Iran or Korea to board?

But how about Seattle, WA;  New Rochelle, NY; or Northern Italy -  or how about someone who recently (and unknowingly) had close contact with someone carrying the virus?

4 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

With this attitude, it’s best that you just heed the advice to cancel your cruise. Muster is part of the cruise. If it worries you, don’t go. 

Good advice. But it worries that so many people will heed it that large numbers of cruises will be cancelled, and large numbers of staff will lose their jobs.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mom says said:

And crowding during muster drill is so much worse than elevators after the evening show, or the queues at the start of port visits, or the stores during one of their "sales"?  If the possibility of being in a crowd while aboard a ship is of great concern, then a cruise is probably not a good idea for you.

The thing about elevators and shows and sales and even queues is that passengers can easily manage or avoid them. 

The enforced, extended close contact with others at some muster drills cannot be avoided.

I've been on cruises where the musters are held in theaters and restaurants. They were fine. I've also been on some (can't remember if it was NCL or Carnival) that were held standing outside on the deck and we were packed shoulder to shoulder together. That's the thing that worries me. It carries a much greater risk of one person infecting many. 

27 minutes ago, johno1234 said:

The thing about elevators and shows and sales and even queues is that passengers can easily manage or avoid them. 

The enforced, extended close contact with others at some muster drills cannot be avoided.

I've been on cruises where the musters are held in theaters and restaurants. They were fine. I've also been on some (can't remember if it was NCL or Carnival) that were held standing outside on the deck and we were packed shoulder to shoulder together. That's the thing that worries me. It carries a much greater risk of one person infecting many. 

But these things cannot be changed.  Those ships that hold muster indoors have been allowed to by the class societies because there is simply not enough room on the promenade decks under the boats.  Once a ship has been designed and the locations of the muster stations determined, they will not be changed over the life of the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

But these things cannot be changed.  Those ships that hold muster indoors have been allowed to by the class societies because there is simply not enough room on the promenade decks under the boats.  Once a ship has been designed and the locations of the muster stations determined, they will not be changed over the life of the ship.

Wow, that's interesting. 

It could be argued that on the vessels I've had outdoor muster, that there wasn't  enough room on the deck there either!

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

So are you saying that even if medical evidence proves that packing people so close leads to more spread of communicable diseases, there cannot be a change?

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So are you saying that even if medical evidence proves that packing people so close leads to more spread of communicable diseases, there cannot be a change?

Medical evidence says that you need a fair amount of time in close contact.  Also, the US cannot require a change like this, since the cruise ships are not US flag.  The Bahamas and Panama would need to pass legislation or executive decisions (depending on their government type) to change this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, and I agree with him.  It would be a major overhaul to change the muster stations, if even possible at all.  And as stated earlier, you have to report in person.  The truth is, if things have become so bad that it's dangerous to conduct a safety drill, the cruise itself is no longer a viable option.  

• Like 5

What good is a safety drill that puts your safety at risk? Right now you’re more likely to get coronavirus than needing to evacuate a sinking ship. If the objective is passenger safety then the muster drill needs to be delivered in a safer way. Maybe stagger a greater number of them to reduce the health risk associated with being in such a huge crowd.