Jump to content

New travel warning


Taclin01
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is anyone more concerned now that they have issued the new warning urging us citizens not to cruise? We are booked on the Equinox departing August 1. We are in our late thirties and relatively healthy. I had cancer when I was 30 and I don’t have all of my lymph nodes. It was GI related. I work with the public and I usually pick up a virus or two during the year. Should we be more concerned since this new statement? As of last night we still planned on going. There are four active cases of Coronavirus where we live so I could get just being out and about here. We are looking into back up plans but, while I was looking at an all inclusive would I want to be stuck in Mexico with this issue? Thanks for all of your input. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that the new warning is about people.60+ and people with health issues.  Your best best is to talk to your doctor.  

 

For myself I do not have health issues and I am under 60.  I will be sailing.  My concern is that ports are starting to close up for cruise ships.  I may not get the cruise that I originally booked.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that the new warning is about people.60+ and people with health issues.  Your best best is to talk to your doctor.  

No someone from the state department said it on a news program this morning.

 

yes, I am more concerned now, but more so that this may kill the cruise industry, at least for now. I still don’t understand how they can do all of the port refusals and quarantines for ships but yet flights? No problem, come on in. And we won’t take your temperature and we aren’t going to clean the plane either.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The statement that was released this afternoon is below.  Some people are still stubbornly insisting that it only applies to people with underlying health conditions, but the word "particularly" is not a qualifier.  Remove the clause, and it plainly states "US citizens should not travel by cruise ship."  How that will translate to the cruise lines in the coming days remains to be seen, but I think it clearly lays out that our government is putting everyone on notice that they can no longer devote significant resources to helping people who are willingly putting themselves into risky environments for unnecessary leisure activities.

 

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

 

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the State Dept warning is big.  Nothing about over 60 or pre-existing conditions.  Ship set sail and find ports closed you book a r/t out of Dubai, ship sails and they close the port to ships so you can’t return.  You take what should be a safe Pacific Coast cruise and you end up sitting outside of SF and then get to spend 14 day’s quarantined.  That’s not my idea of a vacation.  Maybe a shut down of travel 4-6 weeks would stop the rapid spread of the virus.   Don’t know the answer but seems no travel is safe these day’s.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I think the State Dept warning is big.  Nothing about over 60 or pre-existing conditions.  Ship set sail and find ports closed you book a r/t out of Dubai, ship sails and they close the port to ships so you can’t return.  You take what should be a safe Pacific Coast cruise and you end up sitting outside of SF and then get to spend 14 day’s quarantined.  That’s not my idea of a vacation.  Maybe a shut down of travel 4-6 weeks would stop the rapid spread of the virus.   Don’t know the answer but seems no travel is safe these day’s.

With spring break travel, I fear that the virus will spread even more rapidly. Stocking up on supplies and staying home for the next several weeks!

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a personal decision that each individual, who is scheduled on a cruise in the near future, must decide for themselves.

I am 74 yrs old, have no major health problems, do CrossFit Masters classes three days a week and walk an additional 7-10 miles a week with two Siberian Huskies (walking me) and attempt to eat well. I also survived 30 years of nursing in a Level One Trauma Center/ER and was probably exposed to everything possible. Hand washing and its importance is hardly a new concept to me as it seems to be to the world now.

I am schedule on the Equinox, out of FLL, next Saturday, March 14th, on my 35th cruise. Unless X cancels this cruise, I'm going. My choice, my risk, my decision based on my common sense. I respect the choice of those who were scheduled on this cruise but have decided to cancel, per our roll call.

  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Hllb said:

No someone from the state department said it on a news program this morning.

 

yes, I am more concerned now, but more so that this may kill the cruise industry, at least for now. I still don’t understand how they can do all of the port refusals and quarantines for ships but yet flights? No problem, come on in. And we won’t take your temperature and we aren’t going to clean the plane either.

Ahhh...

 

I see.  The state department warning will cut the cruising.  I saw the CDC warning earlier.

 

I wonder what the cruise industry FCC/refund policy will change to.

 

Here is the state deparment link:

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

 

Edited by NMTraveller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I find challenging with this new advisory is that it does not include a reassess date. As in “for those  scheduled to be cruising between now and July 1 we recommend not traveling” The way it is worded one could read a 2021 cruise should be cancelled. Part of the reason I am thinking about it is that I am cruising at the end of July. I am not sure they are recommending we cancel, but the recommendation is not very precise or clear.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

What I find challenging with this new advisory is that it does not include a reassess date. As in “for those  scheduled to be cruising between now and July 1 we recommend not traveling” The way it is worded one could read a 2021 cruise should be cancelled. Part of the reason I am thinking about it is that I am cruising at the end of July. I am not sure they are recommending we cancel, but the recommendation is not very precise or clear.  

 

We have a cruise scheduled for July 8th.  We are not sure.  We have until the end of the month to decide ( 90 day cancellation).

 

They do say US citiizens and particularly those with underlying health conditions.  We don't have any health conditions.

Edited by NMTraveller
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone makes a choice. My DW has asthma and getting the virus would put her at risk more than many others.

For me the problem is where will you cruise. Italy is out. Malta, Russia, Japan, Korea, Singapore, India, UAE and Qatar, Egypt and many islands worldwide. What is next?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a DONE deal for us.....Virus is one thing, Gvt saying Don't go is a completely different stage.....I was a stalwart "definitely still going person" ......This really is making me reconsider.....Coupled with so many unknowns and lack of definitive treatment and these quarantine risks.....it is taking my "Fun" our of cruising.   At least if I fly down to San Juan/Hawaii.....sit on the beach.....I can still fly home.....for now.....This quarantine on ships is looking like the dealbreaker......IMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

The virus is ten fold what they are telling us. The release of the testing kits were recklessly delayed by the government, to keep the numbers down. Trump said anyone who wants to tested can. That’s a lie. A person I know wanted to be tested and it was impossible to be tested. How many more were like her ????

Rick - Trump said anyone who NEEDS to be tested can. Not wants. The media spreads lots of garbage.  In Arizona there are plenty of kits for people a doctor thinks needs testing. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

The virus is ten fold what they are telling us. The release of the testing kits were recklessly delayed by the government, to keep the numbers down. Trump said anyone who wants to tested can. That’s a lie. A person I know wanted to be tested and it was impossible to be tested. How many more were like her ????

stick to the topic and not politics. settle your score in the voting booth if that makes you feel better.

 

i am on this page seeking facts and actual developments. we are scheduled to depart 13Mar2020 and I don't know if X will cancel the cruise, or what. if they do, then my decision(s) are made for me. until then, keep in check your politics. thanks.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Rick - Trump said anyone who NEEDS to be tested can. Not wants. The media spreads lots of garbage.  In Arizona there are plenty of kits for people a doctor thinks needs testing. 

This person “Needed” to be tested as she was experiencing symptoms since she had been with a family member who had the virus. She was refused testing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

This is a DONE deal for us.....Virus is one thing, Gvt saying Don't go is a completely different stage.....I was a stalwart "definitely still going person" ......This really is making me reconsider.....Coupled with so many unknowns and lack of definitive treatment and these quarantine risks.....it is taking my "Fun" our of cruising.   At least if I fly down to San Juan/Hawaii.....sit on the beach.....I can still fly home.....for now.....This quarantine on ships is looking like the dealbreaker......IMHO

Keep in mind that air travel is the way this virus has spread from country to country. The whole travel industry is in a very precarious situation right now. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

Keep in mind that air travel is the way this virus has spread from country to country. The whole travel industry is in a very precarious situation right now. 

The sad part is that due to mishandling of this and delays, this will greatly impact people in the service and travel industry  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well isn’t this special.  Now for a safer cruise experience in the time of Covid -19, the chief medical officer for carnival corporation will be recommending that ship passengers practice “social distancing” while on board. Which means passengers should maintain one empty seat next to them at all times when dining. Wow, so no more sitting next to a perfect stranger at meal time. May have a hard time keeping an empty seat next to me at the martini bar( guess I could always just cough several times), no one better sit next to me in the theater either, nor stand next to me at mister drill. Well I don’t have any carnival cruises booked and I’ve already canceled my upcoming pacific coast celebrity cruise so guess I’ll just plan to stay home and relax. But what about my Seabourn Med cruise in May. They do fall under the Carnival umbrella. Oh how I long for the good old days of cruising. Life was just so much simpler then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strong words from Dr. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/08/us/politics/cruise-ship-warning.html?searchResultPosition=2

According to an official with knowledge of the task force talks, at least four members of the group pushed for the State Department to caution Americans against cruises:  [...]

 

image.thumb.png.5ba5fe2cfe4c7ad488f612c68f5d9c41.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

his quote in full context was, "

Speaking Sunday morning on "Meet the Press," immunologist Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, outlined what Americans at home can do to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, which has infected 541 people in the U.S. and killed 21 as of Sunday evening. 

 

Dangers are "overwhelmingly weighted toward people with underlying conditions and the elderly," Fauci said. "If you're an elderly person with an underlying condition, if you get infected, the risk of getting into trouble is considerable.

 

He added: "So it's our responsibility to protect the vulnerable. When I say 'protect,' I mean right now. Not 'wait until things get worse.' Say no crowds, no long trips and above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/03/08/coronavirus-sistine-chapel-vatican-museums-shut-down/4994193002/

 

specifically, he is speaking to elderly (undefined) and advising them to especially "don't get on a cruise ship;" he did not advise the general public to not get on a cruise ship.

 

people need to stop taking quotes out of context to support a narrative. if the cruise industry is going to cancel cruises, they then need to do such.

 

i am not advocating a position of do or don't cruise. make your decisions based upon your health and possibly being quarantined. the information needs to get clearer, sooner than later, and people need data to make empowered decisions.

 

yup, i'm under the gun to go or nogo this week. i'm sure a decision, either way, will become more clear shortly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

 

@CA_Cruzing, you quoted Dr. Fauci's statement on Meet The Press

 

I quoted a New York Times article that included what he said on Fox News Sunday.

The paragraph above the quote in yellow was the broader context.

 

My point remains, the quote specifically speaks to older (undefined, still) Americans to not cruise. 
 

It is my hope this statement and any official position gets clarified very soon. 
 

With X’s enhanced screenings, and increased sanitizing, and the warnings to ill people that they’ll be denied boarding, I’d like to believe that cruising near term is less risky than the Princess incidents which manifested back in January and very early February, before protocols were put in place to better identify and manage risks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

My point remains, the quote specifically speaks to older (undefined, still) Americans to not cruise. 
 

It is my hope this statement and any official position gets clarified very soon. 
 

With X’s enhanced screenings, and increased sanitizing, and the warnings to ill people that they’ll be denied boarding, I’d like to believe that cruising near term is less risky than the Princess incidents which manifested back in January and very early February, before protocols were put in place to better identify and manage risks. 

I’m sorry but, do you seriously need clarification as to what’s going on in the world in regards to this Virus ???? Over 100,000 infected, close to 4000 deaths, the virus is being carried by every mode of transportation possible, and you need clarification  ??? Do you honestly think that every one of those 4000 deaths are elderly people...OMG people, wake up ...Please.

Edited by rick160158
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...