Jump to content

The Divina Disaster and Disappointment


Recommended Posts

OP

I have only sailed on Mera in Feb. I'm sailing Divina Jan 2021.I enjoyed my cruise. My DH (omnivore) thought there was some missteps with the food in YC. I mostly loved the food (vegan diet). 

 

I empathize with your frustration. We missed Ocean Cay because of the weather/waves. I was bummed but out of the captains control. I have never missed other ports on my previous cruises. Only 4 others

 

You definitely should receive back your port fees for the islands you did not visit. 

 

Happy cruising in the future 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Disney cruise I took my parents on ended up being during a hurricane and the only island we could get to was Nassau for multiple days. The first day we couldn't even get off the ship because the island had suffered so much damage. This was on top of sailing in huge swells, my dad sitting on a deck chair in the pouring rain trying to smoke a cigarette because he was so sea sick, and not being able to stand up in our forward stateroom. We laugh about it, but my father won't get on a ship again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nerjagirl said:

sfaaa.  No, nothing.  Everything that has happened, they have said is "beyond our control" so presuming that's their get out clause

Well, if you mean Jamaica denying landing (despite no illness), resulting in a port swap which almost all would consider a plus, and the bad weather missing the private island- well, yes, beyond control. And like you, I am on Divina right now. It is rocking me rolling still but we made the best of a sea day. Very disappointed to have missed ocean cay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally much prefer Curacao to Aruba.  For me, Aruba is just another over-priced, touristy island with pretty beaches.  I've found Curacao to be much more interesting.  Yes, it really helps to get out there away from the port area and see the islands!

 

And also, imo, I could do without Jamaica.  I've been to both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.  It is pretty (away from the pier).  I did the climb at Dunn's River Falls and enjoyed it more than I expected, but I have no burning desire to ever return.

 

I thought Divina was a beautiful ship.  Hoping to sail MSC again before much longer and would like to see Ocean Cay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes agree with you about the disappointment about not being able to go to Ocean Cay, gutted.  Loved Divina, thought the staff were lovely, the meals in the Yacht Club were fantastic, and the whole YC experience has spoilt me for anything else now

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nerjagirl said:

the meals in the Yacht Club were fantastic, and the whole YC experience has spoilt me for anything else now

 

On Meraviglia, the YC Restaurant service is what most impressed me.  It's been many, many years when I have seen the restaurant's Maitre d's actively involved in serving their guests.  Not "welcoming guests, seating guests and giving them the menu", but actively assisting the other staff members in serving their guests.  

 

4 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

And also, imo, I could do without Jamaica.  I've been to both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios.  It is pretty (away from the pier). 

 

I could not agree more.  The island itself is beautiful.  It's the "welcoming" of its citizens that are so off-putting if one is not on a "regulated tour".  Offers of drugs, over zealous taxi drivers at the port's entrance, taxi drivers with whom you contract (even through a cruise line shore excursions' department) to return to pick you up and return to the ship that are NO-SHOWS:  if my ship docks at any port on this island, it will be a morning that I will be "sleeping in" and enjoying the amenities of my ship during the day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

On Meraviglia, the YC Restaurant service is what most impressed me.  It's been many, many years when I have seen the restaurant's Maitre d's actively involved in serving their guests.  Not "welcoming guests, seating guests and giving them the menu", but actively assisting the other staff members in serving their guests.  

 

 

Who is the maitre D?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

Who is the maitre D?

 

There were two.  Luis, who seemed to be the senior Maitre d".  Yet, actively involved with guest service.  Arthur was the other gentleman.  If you have ever seen the Energizer Battery commercials on TV, Arthur is the Energizer Bunny.  His service and concern for guests was exceptional.  It didn't make any difference as a solo guest when I was dining alone, when he was on duty, he insured that I was not an ignored diner whenever I dined.

 

Both seemed to be well versed in the ship's wine available.  

 

There was another staff member, a pleasant woman, who seated guests and provided the menus at each meal.  That left the Maitre d's, in my opinion, to focus on service which, I think, is what they ought to do.

 

It's been many cruises since I experienced that quality of Maitre d' service in the YC Restaurant.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

There were two.  Luis, who seemed to be the senior Maitre d".  Yet, actively involved with guest service.  Arthur was the other gentleman.  If you have ever seen the Energizer Battery commercials on TV, Arthur is the Energizer Bunny.  His service and concern for guests was exceptional.  It didn't make any difference as a solo guest when I was dining alone, when he was on duty, he insured that I was not an ignored diner whenever I dined.

 

Both seemed to be well versed in the ship's wine available.  

 

There was another staff member, a pleasant woman, who seated guests and provided the menus at each meal.  That left the Maitre d's, in my opinion, to focus on service which, I think, is what they ought to do.

 

It's been many cruises since I experienced that quality of Maitre d' service in the YC Restaurant.   

 

I love Arthur he is the best. He was so helpful. I don't know Luis.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I was on this cruise and we had a rough sea day before arriving in the Ocean Cay vicinity. The weather forecast for Bimini which is very close to Ocean Cay was for very strong winds with gusts to 60mph so it was fairly obvious we would not stop based on other discussions on cruise critic about Ocean Cay. It would have been better if we were brought to Nassau, even though it is not the best port in my opinion. I believe there was only 1 other ship in that port. Given the weather forecast, maybe Costa Maya could have been an alternative the day after Cozumel, followed by a sea day back to Miami.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

IMHO if you are not a people person, I would go for seaside HANDS DOWN over Meraviglia. The seaside has a much better design. I have sailed on Divina, Seaside, and Meraviglia, and while M is a nice ship it is very inward facing. Seaside is just the opposite.  The first pic is the promenade on Meraviglia, the second pic is the promenade on Seaside. While you feel like you are cruising with 5,000 people on M, Seasdie feels much more spacious. 
 

I would cruise on M again, but I would book a Seaside class ship first (or Divina) if it were doing the same itinerary. 

486520AC-9A43-4B57-BD93-87CC63F0395D.jpeg

5B14B576-1592-406C-9EB9-87A131A7428B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a note for those who think there is a problem with Jamaica clearing MSC ships.

 

Our cruise on the MSC Armonia which ported in Ochos Rios on March 11, was cleared early to allow passengers off the ship.

 

Like many who have been to any port in Jamaica many times, we stayed on the ship.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 5:15 PM, Nerjagirl said:

Yes agree with you about the disappointment about not being able to go to Ocean Cay, gutted.  Loved Divina, thought the staff were lovely, the meals in the Yacht Club were fantastic, and the whole YC experience has spoilt me for anything else now

Regarding the Mom not being able to walk far distances, did you think to ask for a wheelchair assistance from the YC to the LeMuse?  They are very accommodating with those situations.  Your butler or another one would have been glad to give you assistance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, Nerjagirl said:

Just finishing an 11 day cruise, my first ever.  Completely underwhelmed and its put me off cruising altogether.  Meant to sail to Curacao, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios then Ocean Quay.

Ocho Rios cancelled, went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman changed to half a day, so two excursions had to be cancelled, then today, because of the weather, Ocean Quay cancelled, so back off to Miami.  

Not impressed to say the least!

 

 

Welp. Cruising isn't for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nerjagirl, I think you were on the cusp of the cruise lines shutting things down due to the dreadful pandemic that has inundated our world.  I have not read all the responses here, but did the first few, and possibly but the islands were already in pandemic mode, and cant blame them if they were, because they dont have the resources to deal with this sort of thing.  I do sympathise with your disappointment, but hope that since your first post you realise that things are different now in the travel world, be it cruise ships, airlines, hotels, restaurants and life in general.  Some day , hopefully sooner than later, but I suspect will take a year (just my opinion), travel will get back to where we were.  Dont write off cruises yet, they are wonderful ways to spend vacation, but at this time, and possibly yours was affected by this, the world is in a different place, unprecedented, and we just have to wait it out, and hopefully stay well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SMSACE6 said:

Nerjagirl, I think you were on the cusp of the cruise lines shutting things down due to the dreadful pandemic that has inundated our world.  I have not read all the responses here, but did the first few, and possibly but the islands were already in pandemic mode, and cant blame them if they were, because they dont have the resources to deal with this sort of thing.  I do sympathise with your disappointment, but hope that since your first post you realise that things are different now in the travel world, be it cruise ships, airlines, hotels, restaurants and life in general.  Some day , hopefully sooner than later, but I suspect will take a year (just my opinion), travel will get back to where we were.  Dont write off cruises yet, they are wonderful ways to spend vacation, but at this time, and possibly yours was affected by this, the world is in a different place, unprecedented, and we just have to wait it out, and hopefully stay well.

 

What a thoughtful, kind response.  Yes, I realise now we were at the beginning of this pandemic and at the time was bitterly disappointed about most of the Cruise being disrupted, especially for my elderly parents, who we took with us as a treat.  In hindsight, I would love to go again now, just have to find a way to cope with the sea sickness I felt for most of the cruise next time, something I wasn't expecting to have to deal with.  Thank you for your response and stay well too

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

There were two.  Luis, who seemed to be the senior Maitre d".  Yet, actively involved with guest service.  Arthur was the other gentleman.  If you have ever seen the Energizer Battery commercials on TV, Arthur is the Energizer Bunny.  His service and concern for guests was exceptional.  It didn't make any difference as a solo guest when I was dining alone, when he was on duty, he insured that I was not an ignored diner whenever I dined.

 

Both seemed to be well versed in the ship's wine available.  

 

There was another staff member, a pleasant woman, who seated guests and provided the menus at each meal.  That left the Maitre d's, in my opinion, to focus on service which, I think, is what they ought to do.

 

It's been many cruises since I experienced that quality of Maitre d' service in the YC Restaurant.   


 

Arthur is now Asst MD? Wonderful! He is the best

 

IMG_2214.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, Nerjagirl said:

sfaaa.  No, nothing.  Everything that has happened, they have said is "beyond our control" so presuming that's their get out clause

And this is why I probably won't book with MSC again.  No compassion or apologies for missing ports.  As a matter of fact they were borderline rude!!  If you miss a port shouldn't you get refunded for port charges?  We didn't get that either....Maybe you could try other cruise lines?

Edited by potsie57
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 12:00 PM, TrinaLC said:

 

IMG_2214.JPG

Kudos to Arthur AND to Luis (Costa, he's from Braga in northern Portugal). Arthur was a hoot, always energetic and very responsive to requests. I casually mentioned to him and to our waiter that I love Indian food and knew at least some of the cooking staff were from there, so every night they made me an Indian dish. I enjoyed meeting Luis and speaking with him in Portuguese. The Meraviglia is a wonderful ship and the YC especially wowed us. I am sorry @Nerjagirl didn't have a better time and I would similarly have felt disappointed if my parents had been with me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 5:12 PM, Cruisergal1208 said:

Regarding the Mom not being able to walk far distances, did you think to ask for a wheelchair assistance from the YC to the LeMuse?  They are very accommodating with those situations.  Your butler or another one would have been glad to give you assistance.

Yes, We did get Wheelchair assistance from Mum's Butler, who was fantastic!  The only problem was at Cozumel, a Port which wasnt on the Itinerary, and was swopped for Ocho Rios, where we were meant to go.  After getting off the ship, we had to get on a Tips Only Bike to be taken to the entrance to the Resort.  Then they made Mum walk through a massive (for her) Mall, full of Tat.  Then on the way back, they wouldn't let us in again.  We had to walk right around the Mall full of Tat again.  Took us ages.  I was absolutely furious.  So, if you are like Mum, and cannot walk very far, I wouldnt even bother getting off the ship.  Didnt like this place at all

Edited by Nerjagirl
Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, there are tatty souvenir shops all over the Caribbean, not just in Mexico. My wife and I have been to Cozumel twice on cruises, and I once spent an entire week there on vacation. Personally, I really like the place but I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. We enjoyed our excursions there, which included some truly authentic and cheap margaritas, an unforgettable snorkeling adventure and a visit to Mayan ruins.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Initial post reminds of of friends who will NEVER fly on American Airlines again because their flight was canx.....because of a blizzard! When weather trows a monkey wrench into the mix....maybe it's not the carrier's fault?

Edited by marco
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, marco said:

Initial post reminds of of friends who will NEVER fly on American Airlines again because their flight was canx.....because of a blizzard! When weather trows a monkey wrench into the mix....maybe it's not the carrier's fault?

Oh My.  I used to live in Texas, and took an American Airlines flight that was really poor, but going on this Cruise, we were meant to fly with Virgin, bit they changed us to American Airlines.  It was a brand spanking new aeroplane, and we had booked Premium Economy.  Outstanding in every aspect.  Fantastic experience!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Kudos to Arthur AND to Luis (Costa, he's from Braga in northern Portugal). Arthur was a hoot, always energetic and very responsive to requests.  I enjoyed meeting Luis. The Meraviglia is a wonderful ship and the YC especially wowed us. 

 

My dining experience in the YC Restaurant with Luis and Arthur and their staff and the Meraviglia itself have a very special place in my cruising memory.  An additional part of that memory are the interesting people that I met.  I enjoyed many conversations with them and was appreciative that I was invited to join them for dinner one evening.   Two couples whom I met live in New Jersey near NYC and New York City.  I hope that they are well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 5:38 PM, potsie57 said:

And this is why I probably won't book with MSC again.  No compassion or apologies for missing ports.  As a matter of fact they were borderline rude!!  If you miss a port shouldn't you get refunded for port charges?  We didn't get that either....Maybe you could try other cruise lines?


And this is why I LOVE MSC. direct and blunt answers. This isn’t rude. I consider it straightforward and honest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...