If Roommate Cancels?

sazznfreddy

Does anyone have information regarding the status of my booking whether I would be permitted to go on my cruise March 23rd  without a roommate?  Rather than being on the phone for hours contacting Celebrity I am hoping someone on the board would have an answer for me.  Thank you in advance for feedback.

The short answer is nothing....

Yet pending on if or how X or your method of booking the sailing is notified will determine the other ramifications of your roommate cancelling.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Good chance you will be able to go.   We had some friends (same sex couple) that one of the two got sick (not Corona) and insurance covered him but said his partner wasn't covered because they were "not family members".  He continued and had a private room at no extra cost.  

This may be different as 1/2 th room had been paid for by insurance.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sazznfreddy said:

Does anyone have information regarding the status of my booking whether I would be permitted to go on my cruise March 23rd  without a roommate?  Rather than being on the phone for hours contacting Celebrity I am hoping someone on the board would have an answer for me.  Thank you in advance for feedback.

Yes. For the terms in what it will cost you Celebrity is the only way to get an answer.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Good chance you will be able to go.   We had some friends (same sex couple) that one of the two got sick (not Corona) and insurance covered him but said his partner wasn't covered because they were "not family members".  He continued and had a private room at no extra cost.  

This may be different as 1/2 th room had been paid for by insurance.

thats interesting, pretty sure last cruise i had i looked at all the fine print and even emailed tripinsurancestore to ask this. since 2 of 3  people  lived in different states and had to buy different policies. but they used the words 'travel companion' which made me feel better that if somethign happened to them that i could use my insurance since we all were booked on the same cruise. no way id go without them.  thats just horrible if someone cannot be covered merely because they arent related by blood

1 minute ago, sazznfreddy said:

Luckyinpa:   No she will notify them with the Cruise with Confidence FCC!  Thank you 

Wonder if she would accidentally cancelled your reservation as well.  When I cancel my reservation, with Cruise with Confidence, they only asked for reservation number and the lead passenger name.   That called the reservation for both me and my wife.   Is she Passenger 1 or 2?

1 minute ago, lostchild said:

Wonder if she would accidentally cancelled your reservation as well.  When I cancel my reservation, with Cruise with Confidence, they only asked for reservation number and the lead passenger name.   That called the reservation for both me and my wife.   Is she Passenger 1 or 2?

that woudl worry me greatly as well

for future research here's a good starting point for getting insurance that covers travel companions. i knew i bought something that definitely included that . insurance that doesnt cover you is pointless to even buy then.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/your-family-member-or-traveling-companion/

Under normal circumstances one person cannot cancel and get their money back... but this is uncharted territory.  The only way you’ll get an answer is by talking to Celebrity.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sazznfreddy said:

Update:  I spoke to a Celebrity rep and the reservation is cancelled with 100% FCC.

Just for your roommate?  You still get to go and have the cabin all to yourself?

I have a similar concern as the leader of a group booked in 16 cabins. One person has told me she is definitely not going. I'm worried about her roommate - they are not related, just friends. I'm also worried about a domino effect of cancellations. We are in South Africa and many of us are booked on flights arriving in the US a week before the sailing. Does anyone know how this FCC works for a group? Because of CC I find I often know more than our TA what's going on.

HAL has the same policy right now, both have to cancel to get the FCC. If just one cancels, there's no FCC offered. I think we may see this change in the next few days. After the State Department warning, as well as what seems to be increasing panic, anyone they can get on the ship would be worthwhile.

19 hours ago, sazznfreddy said:

No RickT   They cancel  otherwise I would have to  pay double as a solo traveller.

i forget where i saw it but they is some kind of insurance you can buy to cover the solo cost if this happens.  but this FCC thing is totally different of course

12 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

We have 5 cabins booked for March 23 sailing. I think some of want to go and others not. I am hoping we can balance cabins and possible names changes to accommodate if only one person in a cabin wants to cancel. 

I sent an email to our TA asking how our group could make this work. She wrote back to say she had forwarded my query to Celebrity. There has been no response yet.

On 3/9/2020 at 2:58 PM, LizikinsLivesToCruise said:

I have a similar concern as the leader of a group booked in 16 cabins. One person has told me she is definitely not going. I'm worried about her roommate - they are not related, just friends. I'm also worried about a domino effect of cancellations. We are in South Africa and many of us are booked on flights arriving in the US a week before the sailing. Does anyone know how this FCC works for a group? Because of CC I find I often know more than our TA what's going on.

Sorry, I don't have a solution to your query, although in normal circumstances I think that one can change one of the 2 named guests in a room. who knows at the moment. 

I'm actually here to give you a little wave and hello as we are on the same cruise. I knew there was a group of you from SA, never realized it was such a large group. Drop by the roll call more often, we are everso friendly.

Cheers, heather 🥂

Edited by middlehaitch

I asked this question of my TA.  I would have to pay as I was going solo, twice what I paid.  The only other way is if my roommate collected on an insurance policy, then the room would have been paid for and I could go.  I was willing to go alone, but ended up cancelling with Celebrity.

59 minutes ago, 621emerson said:

I asked this question of my TA.  I would have to pay as I was going solo, twice what I paid.  The only other way is if my roommate collected on an insurance policy, then the room would have been paid for and I could go.  I was willing to go alone, but ended up cancelling with Celebrity.

is this under the current policies because 2 years ago with another line i got a much different answer