Jump to content

Privacy window film on Central Park / Boardwalk balconies?


Recommended Posts

Alright, this may be a little silly but bear with me here.

We have a central park balcony booked for our upcoming week-long cruise on SOS.  One of the biggest complaints I always see about these rooms is that people in central park and across the way can look into your room.  Has anyone ever seen/heard of anyone bringing some static-cling privacy film with them?

I have some installed in my apartment (see pic) and we love it - it lets the light in, and I can keep the shades up without worrying about people peeking into our space.  No glue, so no damage to the windows or clean up, and it's cheap-ish.  I can snag a roll of 35"x78" cling for $20 or less.  Considering buying some for the cruise, but wanted to hear if anyone had any thoughts first. 

 

Also, does anyone know the dimensions of the doors leading to the balcony? Since it's an extremely temporary measure, I'm thinking even if I just cut the roll in half and install it on the middle portions of the doors it would offer enough privacy.

IMG_20180921_144255.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, clumsychica said:

Considering buying some for the cruise, but wanted to hear if anyone had any thoughts first. 

The cabin steward and/or management may not like your idea. Stick with using the built in shades.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

The cabin steward and/or management may not like your idea. Stick with using the built in shades.

Ah, really?  ☹️ I was thinking it's about the same as having stateroom door decorations and they wouldn't mind.

 

1 hour ago, grneyes said:

just close your curtain

But then there's no light coming in 💔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree that this might not be 'approved' by management.  And then there's the the huge sheets of plastic that will then need to be disposed of once you check out.  I'm not sure about Royal, but some lines are no longer allowing massive door decorations anymore either.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, clumsychica said:


I have some installed in my apartment (see pic) and we love it - it lets the light in, and I can keep the shades up without worrying about people peeking into our space.  No glue, so no damage to the windows or clean up, and it's cheap-ish.  I can snag a roll of 35"x78" cling for $20 or less.  Considering buying some for the cruise, but wanted to hear if anyone had any thoughts first. 

 

 

 

I'm not sure the pushback here if it clings on without residue and you easily remove before leave, to use another time or to toss, why not.  For that money, to allow a little light in and not be overly concerned about what people might see, seems like a good idea.  Maybe try it and do a post when get back on how it went with some pictures and measurements.  I bet the first person to mention over the door shoe holder for organization was met with "why not use the drawers in cabin".

 

Maybe it works great or maybe it's a pain to open and close the slider for whatever reason, report back and we'll learn something. 

Edited by SAmome
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had a boardwalk room a couple of weeks back on the Allure.  During the day it was no problem with using the sheers to let light in and not be seen outside.  The issue comes when you turn on your light in the evening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, clumsychica said:

Ah, really?  ☹️ I was thinking it's about the same as having stateroom door decorations and they wouldn't mind.

 

But then there's no light coming in 💔

Oh well, It's part of booking those rooms.  Use the sheers.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In case you didn't understand about the "sheers", there are two sets of pull drapes/ curtains at the balcony door.  One is probably as sheer as what you've suggested, and the other is heavier drapery fabric.  Nobody can see through the heavier set when it is closed.  And, if you don't have interior lights on at night, nobody can see clearly even if the sheers are open.  My daughter and I have sailed about a dozen times in Central Park balconies, and we love them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no way anyone would be able to see in during the day unless you're pressed up against the glass.  Even at night with lights on, there's a limit to how far you can see into the cabins.  If you're cruising in a tropical climate, you're going to want to pull the curtains closed during the heat of the day to help your A/C work efficiently. 

Edited by momofmab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, momofmab said:

There's no way anyone would be able to see in during the day unless you're pressed up against the glass.  Even at night with lights on, there's a limit to how far you can see into the cabins.  If you're cruising in a tropical climate, you're going to want to pull the curtains closed during the heat of the day to help your A/C work efficiently. 

I've been in a CP balcony  and at night  can see all the way inside the  cabin across the way to the bathroom door.   

 

As posted by momofmab, you can generally not see in during the day.  

 

Rule of thumb - if you can see them - they can see you!

M

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I've been in a CP balcony  and at night  can see all the way inside the  cabin across the way to the bathroom door.   

 

As posted by momofmab, you can generally not see in during the day.  

 

Rule of thumb - if you can see them - they can see you!

M

sames goes for boardwalk balconies.   I was on 10th floor on the allure in January and could see people reading or laying on bed watching TV on various decks that only had their sheers closed.    Even with sheers closed if they had TV on and no lights in cabin I could still see them.     

So like I said she should give her stuff a try and maybe she will have something for future cruises to use.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright...  So I was actually on the phone with an RCI rep for a different matter, and mentioned static cling stickers - she said it was totally fine! I didn't say that I wanted to cover the entire door, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens 🙂. 59 days to go!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, clumsychica said:

Alright...  So I was actually on the phone with an RCI rep for a different matter, and mentioned static cling stickers - she said it was totally fine! I didn't say that I wanted to cover the entire door, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens 🙂. 59 days to go!


Pretty sure the off shore agent has no idea what a static cling sticker is  and just told you what you wanted to hear.  Plus putting a small removable sticker on a window is quite different from covering the entire glass door.
 

I would imagine if any person of authority saw it, it would need to be removed.   It appears to look cloudy or like a shattered window, not the look they are going for.  Good luck but be prepared to be asked for it to be removed.  


Of course others who have been a similar cabin have mentioned that you can’t see in  during the day anyway

enjoy

 

m

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...