Food for thought: Who pays if you are "quarantined"?

Timmay77

Great reason to just put cash on your account and NOT bind a credit card to your onboard account.  We all know how shady NCL can be and the contract language allows them to charge you just about whatever they want during a quarantine.  Those nickels and dimes will add up.

This may be the most important post in this subject.
Thank you , LMB.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, seaman11 said:

i was stuck on a ship during hurrican harvey and a 7 day cruise turned into 13. this was on royal though.  but i was not charged for the extra days and not only that was given free drinks, great fresh food at miami port we had to dock for a day, and 13 cruise points instead of 7. so no i dont think they will force you to pay for extra days if its mandated. 

So, this was a change in itinerary. 

The cruise contract specifically and explicitly calls out quarantine. Room charges, charges for 3 meals a day, charges for fresh towels and linens once a week, charge for soap, charge for toilet paper (better hoard that early in the cruise), charge for water, charge for sewage, charge for electricity, charge for air conditioning, charge for deep cleaning your room once you leave... stuff like that.

In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise contract specifically and explicitly calls out quarantine. Room charges, charges for 3 meals a day, charges for fresh towels and linens once a week, charge for soap, charge for toilet paper (better hoard that early in the cruise), charge for water, charge for sewage, charge for electricity, charge for air conditioning, charge for deep cleaning your room once you leave... stuff like that.

In the case of quarantine, the Guest agrees to bear all risks, losses and expenses caused thereby and will be charged for maintenance, payable day-by-day, if maintained on board the vessel for such period of quarantine. The Guest assumes all risks and losses occasioned by delay or detention howsoever arising. Costs connected with embarkation or debarkation of Guests and/or baggage and costs of transfer between vessel and shore as a result of the circumstances enumerated in this paragraph must be borne by the Guest.

this is true and yes it could happen legally, but in the world of PR, I can't see them enforcing this.  Just my opinion and my 2 cents, not an expert by any means. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GlamorousGirl said:

I will be using cash this time instead of giving them my debit card, and I will not be providing enough to cover this possibility. If they want to come after me later for charges incurred being, in essence, kidnapped against my will, I will fight it. But I doubt they will charge; I agree the publicity would be horrendous. Frankly the government should have to pay since they claim its for the “greater good” of others and they are making the choice to do it against most people’s, and presumably the cruise line’s, will.

You aren't being kidnapped against your will.  You have the terms and conditions. If you don't agree with them don't go. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Bird, do you disagree that some price range should be included in the FAQ, whether it is a percentage of your cruise price/day, some amount, etc, rather than this blank check?

How could they know what potential costs of a quarantine are? 

22 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Bird, do you disagree that some price range should be included in the FAQ, whether it is a percentage of your cruise price/day, some amount, etc, rather than this blank check?

Every situation would be different. And who knows if NCL would ever pull this trigger. There is a big difference between provisioning a ship that is being held off shore vs. a ship being held at the dock in Yokohama where supplies can drive up vs. the Grand Princess where celebrity chef Jose Andres is preparing complimentary meals. 

There was a comment about PR above. NCL has never been shy about being the cheapest cruise line when it comes to compensation for diversions. They pretty much go by their cruise contract and provide little to no compensation for a hurricane diversion. And the haters on social media don't seem to phase NCL when they make those decisions.  We have been on multiple diverted cruises on NCL and once on Royal. NCL kept every penny of our fare and provided 7-days to a location that we didn't want to go to. Royal practically gave us a free cruise (well, and equivalent in OBC) which kept the passengers happy and the shops and restaurant full,,,, while we went to a location we didn't want to go to. 

• Like 2

Also, now that Coronavirus is a "known event" insofar as insurance is concerned (well, according to Manulife which is sold here in Canada by many TA), if you purchased the insurance after they declared that, I would be leary that insurance would cover any costs you incur due to quarantine under Trip Interruption.   To quote from Manulife website "As of March 5, 2020, Manulife has determined that COVID-19 is now considered a known event and Trip Cancellation and Interruption claims for this known event will no longer be considered payable for policies issued on or before March 5, 2020."    Of course, if your trip was planned in advance of this, that's different, but for anyone currently purchasing.

Edited by rnr4thatsme
left out info

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

For our convenience of course.

I cruise on NCL the most bc I like their product the best. But they 10000% are the cheapest mofos on the seas. I wouldn't put it past them to charge you for quarantine costs. NCL has missed ports and refused refunds on the port tax. I have exp this personally.

a 3 day cruise on RCI turned into a 10 day trip, but i wasn't charged a penny extra. I would expect to be charged for NCL.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Every situation would be different. And who knows if NCL would ever pull this trigger. There is a big difference between provisioning a ship that is being held off shore vs. a ship being held at the dock in Yokohama where supplies can drive up vs. the Grand Princess where celebrity chef Jose Andres is preparing complimentary meals. 

There was a comment about PR above. NCL has never been shy about being the cheapest cruise line when it comes to compensation for diversions. They pretty much go by their cruise contract and provide little to no compensation for a hurricane diversion. And the haters on social media don't seem to phase NCL when they make those decisions.  We have been on multiple diverted cruises on NCL and once on Royal. NCL kept every penny of our fare and provided 7-days to a location that we didn't want to go to. Royal practically gave us a free cruise (well, and equivalent in OBC) which kept the passengers happy and the shops and restaurant full,,,, while we went to a location we didn't want to go to. 

did ncl charge you extra for those days?

Princess has similar language but they have given 100% refunds on both ships that have been quarantined .  This is language in there that allows the cruise lines charge someone if they are negligent and cause the cruise to be cancelled or quarantined like if they tested positive for Coronavirus but still boarded the ship.

Edited by Liljo22

This doesn't concern me much.   It seems like a charge they "could" throw out there but it reminds me of the fuel surcharge that NCL says they can enact depending on fuel prices, BUT they have never done that even though fuel prices have been above when NCL said they would enact it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Timmay77 said:

Everyone who knows we are going on a cruise has sent me this meme. I bet I have it 20+ times in my message box.......

That’s how i got it. Friends know i have a cruise on April 19 for 21 days. I thought it was funny. I don’t let the paranoia get to us, we are monitoring the news, paying attention and if we make an adult, rational decision to cancel, c’est la vie. 

If you travel or choose to do so in spite of gov.t warning Not to  i think you will be forced to cover all additional charges for quarantine .No one forced you to go ...you chose to knowing the risks .Inthink insurance company will not honour policies because of this As well 

get clear responses before committing to travel in theses uncertain times 

If I was quarantined I would expect to pay something.  It certainly isn't the cruise lines fault and is beyond their control.  If they choose to take the financial hit for their customers then they should be applauded, it certainly would not be cheap.

I do think there should be some sort of a daily amount published though to help you make a decision when traveling in risky circumstances.

12 minutes ago, ray98 said:

If I was quarantined I would expect to pay something.  It certainly isn't the cruise lines fault and is beyond their control.  If they choose to take the financial hit for their customers then they should be applauded, it certainly would not be cheap.

I do think there should be some sort of a daily amount published though to help you make a decision when traveling in risky circumstances.

Why should you have to pay something? Even after government officials stating people should not get on cruise ships, cruise lines are still sailing and issuing "credits" with an expiry date. Either the cruise line cancels all cruises going forward in the affected areas or just like the FAA grounded the 737 Max, the Coast Guard issues a no sail order. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Why should you have to pay something? Even after government officials stating people should not get on cruise ships, cruise lines are still sailing and issuing "credits" with an expiry date. Either the cruise line cancels all cruises going forward in the affected areas or just like the FAA grounded the 737 Max, the Coast Guard issues a no sail order. 

....because life isn't free?  If I am being temporarily prevented reentry because of a health concern it isn't the fault of the cruise line.

6 hours ago, Farts said:

did ncl charge you extra for those days?

Per prior post, an itinerary change is not subject to a maintenance charge in the cruise contract. Just quarantines. 

In all of our cases, it was a change in itinerary vs a longer cruise (example: having a bag full of snorkel gear and shorts and heading up to frigid Halifax in the fall). 

• Like 1

Our cruise is in June.  I do not want to cancel but I will have to if I still have no assurances of what my financial exposure might be in the event of a quarantine.  My previous experiences with NCL customer service do not make me inclined to trust them.  In the past they have been remarkably uncooperative and rigidly stuck to policy even when it would have cost them absolutely nothing to bend it.  It also took me two months and three emails to get any sort of response to a reasonable request (and this when they weren't busy!).  This is the sort of thing a customer remembers in these uncertain times.

• Like 1