Rancho De Palma-Thrilling Horseback Ride

MAGNUM PI

We utilized Rancho De Palma last week, for an afternoon horseback ride, through the National Park-to the Natural Pool.

I highly recommend the trip-it is NOT for the faint of heart. But worth it, for those who can handle it.

My family group of six people, all in-experienced, survived it. You are assigned to a horse, depending on your experience/your weight. All of the horses are well trained, and know the route that will be taken. There is a "pecking order" among the horses, and they stay pretty much in order.

The thrilling aspect is the navigating-UP and DOWN the moderately steep hills.(This was NOT explained, when I booked the tour). The surface is various sizes of rocks, some boulders, almost the entire ride.

The views of the National Park(desert with thousands of cactus), eventually the coastal views, the Natural Pool area.....are absolutely stunning!

There was such a peacefulness/tranquility, as we rode our horses through this area.

When we returned to the ranch, our van driver was waiting with refreshing cold towels! It felt wonderful to wipe our faces with them, after a hot ride.

Cold beverages are sold at the ranch; restrooms are also available.

In my opinion, this is not for small children, unless they are experienced riders. The terrain is difficult, the horses do cantor at times-when returning through sand surfaces.

P.S. They mention stopping for swimming/snorkeling at the Natural Pool. However, they only stop for 20 minutes, to rest the horses. To reach the Natural Pool, one must descend/ascend 44 steps leading DOWN to the pool. Most of the people on our ride, just took photos from the rocky coastline above, and took in the magnicient views.

took in the magnificent views.

The cost was $55 if you book on-line. $60 if you don't.

Anyone having questions, I will freely answer.

Hey Magnum PI!

Do you have a website address or any contact info that you could post for this tour? Sounds like a blast--definitely not your ordinary run-of-the mill horseback riding adventure. Did they pick you up at the cruise terminal or did you have to arrange your own transportation? Also, do you have any pictures you could post?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Angela :)

I'm Magnum PI's daughter. He tends to not check this thing as often as he should, so I figured I'd try to answer a few questions.

The ranch we rode at was actually called Rancho Del Campo.

Their website address is http://www.ranchodelcampo.com/.

Their website is great at telling you what's available-- they even have a section called "Meet our Horses and Staff" which allows you to see all the horses at the ranch, find out their personality, and if you'd like to prepick a horse you'd like to ride.

They have transportation to come and pick you up. Right outside the terminal there are a row of shops and that is where they come to pick you up.

I do have some pictures on my digital camera. If you give me a few days I'll get them uploaded and post them.

This tour was really fun, but definately be prepared for not an "easy, walk a straight line" kind of ride.

Archived