New Protocal for Caribbean Cruies for Next 30 days

Jim_Iain

As many of you know we are leaving on Equinox on 3/14.   We just received the following notice from Celebrity -  These protocals will be in place for the next 30 days. 

Image did not load.

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard for your upcoming Celebrity Cruises vacation.  Before you embark on this exciting journey, we would like to provide some important information regarding your travel plans.

As we monitor global developments related to the coronavirus, our priority remains the health and safety of our guests and crew, as well as providing you an amazing vacation experience.  To comply with guidance from CDC, WHO, public health authorities around the world, and the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew.  These safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will be reviewed daily. 

Mandatory temperature screenings using digital, non-touch scanners will now be conducted with guests, crew members, and visitors on embarkation day prior to boarding any vessel. If temperature registers about 100.4°F (38°C), the person and his/her travel companions will be referred to a secondary health screening. Secondary health screenings will be performed by medical professionals who will check for flu-like symptoms and pulse oximetry readings. 

Additionally, until further notice for all Caribbean voyages, any person, regardless of nationality, who has travelled from, visited or transited via airports through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan, 20 days prior to embarkation, will be unable to board our ships.  This includes coming in to contact with people who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports through these same countries. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

As a result, it is imperative that you review your air travel itinerary closely to ensure you do not transit through any gateway in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan.  Guests who have air travel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be re-accommodated on alternate routes and receive new flight information automatically. Guests with independent air travel arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required adjustments and changes to their air travel.

Boarding will also be denied for any person who within 20 days prior to embarkation, has had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

We have also increased secondary health screening requirements. The following guests will need to undergo extra screenings at the cruise terminal:

• Any person who reports feeling unwell or displays flu-like symptoms. 

• Any person who has traveled to, from, or through France, Germany, Spain or Thailand in the 20 days prior to embarkation. 

• Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 20 days prior to embarkation to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Singapore, Spain, South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan, Thailand. 

In some cases, guests presenting certain symptoms in the specialized health screenings may be denied boarding.  All guests who are denied boarding due to these restrictions will receive full refunds in the form of a Future Cruise Credit. Additional restrictions may be imposed based on local circumstances. For example, certain countries may deny visas or prohibit entry based on travel history or nationality.

We have rigorous medical protocols in place to help passengers and crew members who feel unwell while sailing. Our protocols include:

• Professional medical treatment
  • Isolation of unwell individuals from the general ship population
  • Intensified ship cleaning, air filtration, and sanitization procedures

We are assessing developments constantly and will update these measures as needed.

Finally, you can contribute to a healthy onboard environment by taking a few simple steps that will help prevent colds, flus and stomach viruses – both onboard and on land. 

• Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds after using the restroom and before any meal or snack.

• Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) if you happen to sneeze. Avoid sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth.

• Use hand sanitizer as often as possible. Rub the gel thoroughly, and in-between your fingers, until your hands are dry.

If you don’t feel well while onboard, it’s imperative that you visit our onboard medical facility immediately for a complimentary checkup. Our onboard doctors and nurses are always available and ready to assist.

If you or someone in your stateroom has traveled to, from, or through, mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Taiwan, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately or contact us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide. You can also visit www.celebritycruises.com/contact-us for a complete list of global contact information.

We have elected to take these precautionary steps due to the recent increase in coronavirus cases around the world, to help avoid the spread of the virus and to ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew. While vacations are our passion, our primary responsibility is to maintain a safe and healthy environment onboard our ships, as well as in the ports we visit.  We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a truly incredible vacation.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I note that France, Spain and Germany are now included, presumably due to number of cases and possibly deaths. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases
As of 10 March 2020, 114 243 cases of COVID-19 (in accordance with the applied case definitions in the affected countries) have been reported, including 4 023 deaths. The deaths have been reported from China (3 139), Italy (464), Iran (237), South Korea (54), France (30), Spain (28), United States (26), Japan (9), International conveyance in Japan (7), Iraq (6), United Kingdom (6), Germany (2)...

The cases reported are given as 

• America: United States (754), Canada (77), Brazil (25), Ecuador (15), Chile (13), Argentina (12), Costa Rica (9), Peru (9), Mexico (7), Dominican Republic (5), Colombia (3), Panama (1) and Paraguay (1).
  • Europe: Italy (9 172), France (1 412), Spain (1 204), Germany (1 139), Switzerland (374), Netherlands (321), United Kingdom (321),

please see link for complete list of countries.

On the basis of these, how long before the UK and other European countries are added to the list, though France, Spain and Germany do have (significantly) higher numbers of reported cases but not necessarily deaths.

We are both in great physical shape and have no underlying conditions that are listed as concerning.   I am however making sure we have plenty of sanitation products with us.  

I was concerned yesterday that I couldn't find any hand sanitizer but did come up with a couple little bottles from old airline amenity kits.   Today one of our daughters, who's a radiologist,  came to the rescue and gave us a big bottle of medical strength hand gel.    I'm sure it's overkill but she also gave us a box of face masks and gloves.  I know it's overkill but to humor her we are bring them with us.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Any person who is uncertain about contact with individuals who have traveled in the 20 days prior to embarkation to, from, or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Singapore, Spain, South Korea, Japan, or Taiwan, Thailand. 

So that means that everyone boarding the ship will be required to have secondary testing unless they stayed in their own home for 20 days prior to the cruise and then walked to the ship from home with their luggage; otherwise, how can anyone possibly say, with certainty, that they haven’t been in contact with an individual who has travelled through/in/from one of those countries listed.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, villauk said:

So that means that everyone boarding the ship will be required to have secondary testing unless they stayed in their own home for 20 days prior to the cruise and then walked to the ship from home with their luggage; otherwise, how can anyone possibly say, with certainty, that they haven’t been in contact with an individual who has travelled through/in/from one of those countries listed.

You may have missed one important definition of the notice ---  In my case I have no concern.  

The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, hcat said:

Hope you have a great cruise and keep us posted with a review.

Not the most upbeat  send off  letter by X but they have laid it all out!

BON VOYAGE!

I guess they are really welcoming us.   I got a second set of Luggage Tags in the mail today.   I received my first set about 2 months ago.  

Onboard the Equinox now.  Additional screening before boarding was quick, did not see anyone taken away for secondary screening.

Business as usual onboard.  Only two things I’ve noticed are additional cleaning along the corridors and handrails.  And not sure why but many of the tables at late seating remain empty.  Perhaps people are avoiding large tables with strangers?

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RickT said:

And not sure why but many of the tables at late seating remain empty.  Perhaps people are avoiding large tables with strangers?

Enjoy your cruise.

I am guessing a lot of people cancelled, which is why many tables remain empty.

10 hours ago, RickT said:

Onboard the Equinox now.  Additional screening before boarding was quick, did not see anyone taken away for secondary screening.

Business as usual onboard.  Only two things I’ve noticed are additional cleaning along the corridors and handrails.  And not sure why but many of the tables at late seating remain empty.  Perhaps people are avoiding large tables with strangers?

Enjoy your cruise.

Did you check if the buffet is kept open? I would think that is the most difficult area to keep sanitized and under control. 

We are onboard REFLECTION (due to return 3-13) and have not heard  any MEDICAL alert news... seems everyone is fine (?)  

We do notice that the BLU restaurant seems to be more than 1/2 empty most of the time....

We will be on board with Jim as well. With almost half of the ship’s cabin inventory available I see many tables being empty. It’s going to be so weird not having a full ship, but looking on the positive side, we might have more chairs available by the pool as well as the martini bar! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, [g]cruiserke said:

Did you check if the buffet is kept open? I would think that is the most difficult area to keep sanitized and under control. 

Yes, the buffet is open and still self serve.  First cruise that I’ve seen everyone walking into Oceanview using the hand sanitizer.

13 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

I am guessing a lot of people cancelled, which is why many tables remain empty.

2,554 passengers onboard.  All other venues (shows, bars, decks) seem as crowded as always. Just thinking people are avoiding large tables with strangers and instead perhaps choosing room service or the buffet.

1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

We will be on board with Jim as well. With almost half of the ship’s cabin inventory available I see many tables being empty. It’s going to be so weird not having a full ship, but looking on the positive side, we might have more chairs available by the pool as well as the martini bar! 😂

I'll be looking for a Purple Smurf.   😜

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I guess they are really welcoming us.   I got a second set of Luggage Tags in the mail today.   I received my first set about 2 months ago.  

Me too, got second set of luggage Tags, [huh];  Jim, was looking forward to meeting you, but we cancelled.  Have a safe, relaxing trip, may the sun shine on you throughout the cruise.