Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

Some people I think will have very little option other than to lock themselves away if the virus over runs some of our towns and city's if they are at risk .
(W H O) Dr Tedros said: "If you are 60+, or have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, a respiratory condition or diabetes, you have a higher risk of developing severe COVID19.
"Try to avoid crowded areas, or places where you might interact with people who are sick."
Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said "he could not rule out banning big events where thousands of people would gather, if the situation gets worse."
Despite a "huge economic and social downside" closing down cities could not be taken "off the table at this stage because you have to make sure you have all the tools available if that is what is necessary".
Cemeteries and crematoriums are also reported to be drawing up plans to deal with a rise in bodies, with families possibly being allowed to hold funerals in their homes, schools, pubs or hotels if churches and chapels become overwhelmed.
The government also want us to carry on as normal for now ,which I take to mean carry on cruising as well ,which is fine but anyone who is in the at risk bracket, who could blame them if they cancel ?
 As said in other posts we are battling the unkown and the goal posts will be moved many times before this virus is finished with us . So do what feels right for you , your choice,your cruise.

Sorry I could not resist the temptation, if the bodies start rising we really are in trouble!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ok now I am panicking after reading some of the posts I feel like we’re In the film the night of the living dead, me and the beloved are moving into the local castle board it up and try to sit it out , all the time contacting my TA and insurance company for the latest advice.

• Haha 1

Well, we are due to cruise at the end of the month and today there was a confirmed case at my daughter's school. This makes the whole discussion slightly less abstract to us than a lot of people on here. Currently PHE are tracing who this student has been in contact with and will give advice on what to do. 

Assuming my daughter isn't someone contacted by PHE can I answer the P&O question as "no we haven't been in contact with anyone with the virus"

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's the way quarantine works - it's to protect the uninfected from the infected.

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This isn't just cruise ships now though, to be fair - it's about gatherings of people generally once the virus really starts to spread.

Not a good time to be holding hotel shares.

Another good reason not to cruise during this present crisis.

7 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Well, we are due to cruise at the end of the month and today there was a confirmed case at my daughter's school. This makes the whole discussion slightly less abstract to us than a lot of people on here. Currently PHE are tracing who this student has been in contact with and will give advice on what to do. 

Assuming my daughter isn't someone contacted by PHE can I answer the P&O question as "no we haven't been in contact with anyone with the virus"

That’s a difficult one. Come to think of it how can you possibly know if you have or haven’t seeing as someone could have the virus but not yet displaying symptoms?

Edited by staygulf
  • Like 1

Lets have a bit of perspective on this.

Currently, after a month of dire warnings we have had 40 diagnosed cases of Corvid 19 in the UK, and most of the early ones have now fully recovered. It appears that in China more people have now recovered from it than are contracting it.

Yes that number is bound to rise, but there is nothing to substantiate the claim of tens of thousands of additional deaths.

If it was Ebola then there would be reason to panic, but it is a coronavirus as is the common cold, admittedly a new strain.

There have to be precautions to prevent/limit it's spread but many of the forecasts of doom seem to be very OTT.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Obviously the incubation period is two weeks so after at least 3 weeks you should be ok but only you can make that decision if you want to go on your cruise or not. 

1 minute ago, jake 26 said:

Lets have a bit of perspective on this.

Currently, after a month of dire warnings we have had 40 diagnosed cases of Corvid 19 in the UK, and most of the early ones have now fully recovered. It appears that in China more people have now recovered from it than are contracting it.

Yes that number is bound to rise, but there is nothing to substantiate the claim of tens of thousands of additional deaths.

If it was Ebola then there would be reason to panic, but it is a coronavirus as is the common cold, admittedly a new strain.

There have to be precautions to prevent/limit it's spread but many of the forecasts of doom seem to be very OTT.

I agree with your second post but a bit dubious about your first

I just found this quote on Forbes.  Unfortunately it only mentions one cruise line, but it's interesting.

"The cruise lines are also being flexible in order to ease worries about cruising amid a coronavirus outbreak. Windstar Cruises has introduced a new Travel Assurance Booking Policy, changing its rules so that travelers can cancel up to 15 days before departure and not lose their money. They will receive a future cruise credit for 100% of the cruise fare paid. Other lines have put similar policies in place."

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not sure I agree with the word "additional" .Many of those 300,000 would have died anyway (being  blunt).

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 resulted in a UK death toll of 225,000, and that strain had a far higher death rate than Covd19 has, so Harry is again exaggerating the facts to try and validate his project fear 2 claims.

15 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Obviously the incubation period is two weeks so after at least 3 weeks you should be ok but only you can make that decision if you want to go on your cruise or not. 

Thank you for your input but you haven't answered the question I asked. If PHE don't name you as being at risk of contact can you answer the specific P&O question regarding contact?

13 minutes ago, Burgmeister said:

Thank you for your input but you haven't answered the question I asked. If PHE don't name you as being at risk of contact can you answer the specific P&O question regarding contact?

Sorry I thought I did but if nobody contact’s you your obviously not a risk, unless you believe they overlooked you if so contact them to find out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 resulted in a UK death toll of 225,000, and that strain had a far higher death rate than Covd19 has, so Harry is again exaggerating the facts to try and validate his project fear 2 claims.

To be fair to Harry there are enough people on here feeding his paranoia, every headline is being seized on and people are adding 2 + 2 and making 5, on Facebook people are looking forward to there cruises and asking really no virus questions 

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You're entitled to your viewpoint of course, but maybe you haven't been listening to what's coming out of the World Health Organisation, or even today's statement by Boris Johnson. Comparisons with influenza make little sense, but might give you some false comfort. WHO are advising over 60s to avoid crowded areas - for no reason?

Read what the experts have to say. Not forum posts, real experts. You'll see I'm exaggerating nothing, just commenting on estimates from reliable sources.

This is no big deal for most people. But for a small percentage of us it's quite likely to end in our demise if there aren't enough ICU beds. And there aren't.

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You're entitled to your viewpoint of course, but maybe you haven't been listening to what's coming out of the World Health Organisation, or even today's statement by Boris Johnson. Comparisons with influenza make little sense, but might give you some false comfort. WHO are advising over 60s to avoid crowded areas - for no reason?

Read what the experts have to say. Not forum posts, real experts. You'll see I'm exaggerating nothing, just commenting on estimates from reliable sources.

This is no big deal for most people. But for a small percentage of us it's quite likely to end in our demise if there aren't enough ICU beds. And there aren't.

Harry why are sporting events being allowed to continue in this country unless it's a government plot to cull the working classes

11 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

To be fair to Harry there are enough people on here feeding his paranoia, every headline is being seized on and people are adding 2 + 2 and making 5, on Facebook people are looking forward to there cruises and asking really no virus questions 

Yes but TBF their mods are closing down any threads about Covid19 and its impact on P&O as soon as they pick up steam.

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes but TBF their mods are closing down any threads about Covid19 and its impact on P&O as soon as they pick up steam.

true but there reason is unless there is proper information  being issued than you will have the debate going on here were in reality nobody really knows the answers.

Cast your mind back to the clown incident were a lot of things were written without any real knowledge of the indecent,about falling standards the new type of cruisers etc.it turned out to be a fabrication by a journalist who seams to have vanished.

Edited by Bazrat

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry what makes you assume we are not taking notice of all these opinions on the TV news and in the press.  Most people are but possibly, like me, they are weighing up all the info and coming to a less dramatic conclusion.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Harry why are sporting events being allowed to continue in this country unless it's a government plot to cull the working classes

Let's wait and see what's in the package being announced tomorrow shall we? It's all going to depend on the rapidity of the spread, but the PM is already talking about a 'very significant expansion' in the number of cases. Once that happens we'll be following the French example.

This is potentially the most serious crisis for a very long time, and the Health Minister has already declined to rule out sealing off entire cities.  Is he exaggerating too?