Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Let's wait and see what's in the package being announced tomorrow shall we? It's all going to depend on the rapidity of the spread, but the PM is already talking about a 'very significant expansion' in the number of cases. Once that happens we'll be following the French example.

This is potentially the most serious crisis for a very long time, and the Health Minister has already declined to rule out sealing off entire cities.  Is he exaggerating too?

Only a fool would rule out any measure and only a fool would believe every thing a politician says

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

This is the latest from p&o

7AD3A231-2BF3-4ABD-AA93-2C0F1FD623B6.thumb.png.43f694843ad9dd924ada1549808f5aad.png

I know others have said that we are covered under a consumer act but I want p&o to be straight with me. I don’t want to turn up and have a battle on my hands. 

This is might all be for nothing anyway as everything we probably be ok but there’s just that one niggly feeling that just in case it isn’t I want everything to be clear. 

You buy insurance not thinking you’ll need it but as a back up and security. That’s what I want from p&o a backup plan should be worst happen 

D3BB2CB4-39D3-4CDD-862F-E66A194A59C6.jpeg

Meanwhile, Saga states clearly and unequivocally

"If, following a consultation with our medical team it is advised that you are unable to embark, we will of course arrange for your travel home and provide you with a full refund."

P&O, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE FAST LOSING PATIENCE

19 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Meanwhile, Saga states clearly and unequivocally

"If, following a consultation with our medical team it is advised that you are unable to embark, we will of course arrange for your travel home and provide you with a full refund."

P&O, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE FAST LOSING PATIENCE

It's the 'of course' I like. 

Will definitely be looking at Saga going forward and I am usually a real P&O fan boy... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

Hi All,

As I’ve posted before, I usually just look and don’t reply. I log on every day to read the posts from you all especially Jean, JohnMichelle and many more. Though Having done 40 cruises I would like to add a few observations. We have back to back cruises Covering 4 weeks April to May this year.

1. Get to port, refused to board because of temperature, then fighting for weeks with P&O and insurance company for compensation.

2. Cruise commences. First port Corruna. Someone tests positive. No other ports will allow ship in. Ship quarantined for 14 days.  Rest of the 4 weeks ruined.

3. Cruise commences. I test positive in Corruna.  I am taken off. My wife is quarantined on the ship. She cannot drive home because of a bad knee, let alone taking the 4 cases off. I cannot fly because of inner ear problems, how will I get home.

4. My wife tests positive.  She has has pneumonia in the past. Need I go on.

5. French and Italian ports do not allow ship to dock.

I could go on and on.  There are dozens of scenarios and could go on and on.

just praying that the cruise companies wii suspend cruising for a few months.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, posford said:

Hi All,

As I’ve posted before, I usually just look and don’t reply. I log on every day to read the posts from you all especially Jean, JohnMichelle and many more. Though Having done 40 cruises I would like to add a few observations. We have back to back cruises Covering 4 weeks April to May this year.

1. Get to port, refused to board because of temperature, then fighting for weeks with P&O and insurance company for compensation.

2. Cruise commences. First port Corruna. Someone tests positive. No other ports will allow ship in. Ship quarantined for 14 days.  Rest of the 4 weeks ruined.

3. Cruise commences. I test positive in Corruna.  I am taken off. My wife is quarantined on the ship. She cannot drive home because of a bad knee, let alone taking the 4 cases off. I cannot fly because of inner ear problems, how will I get home.

You wish all the cruises to be stopped or just yours just out of interest

9 minutes ago, posford said:

Hi All,

From what I'm reading being quarantined on the ship is now a no-no after Diamond Princess.  I also learned that the ship's aircon system does not filter out something as small as a virus, whereas aircraft aircon can and does.  Now that doesn't stop you catching it from a person sitting next to you, but might stop someone 4 rows back.

26 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Only a fool would rule out any measure and only a fool would believe every thing a politician says

True, but when Ministers are trying to reassure a worried public they underplay rather than overplay the likely scenario - and when the PM talks about a 'very significant expansion' in the number of cases I doubt he's making it up.

12 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

From what I'm reading being quarantined on the ship is now a no-no after Diamond Princess.  I also learned that the ship's aircon system does not filter out something as small as a virus, whereas aircraft aircon can and does.  Now that doesn't stop you catching it from a person sitting next to you, but might stop someone 4 rows back.

The aircraft system is not particularly good hence why you do not get nuts now.

8 minutes ago, posford said:

P&O website says they follow advice from WHO.

WHO says over 60’s should avoid crowds.

Seems obvious that over 60’s should not go - or ami missing something!!

No, you're not.  But there are quite a few here who still seem incredibly unaware of the impact of Coronavirus, how fast it's spreading, and its impact on the elderly and those with existing health conditions.

If you need evidence, look at Wuhan and the areas of China that had to be sealed off.  It's exactly the same virus we're trying to deal with, and there's no reason to suppose that it's going to be any different here.  Viruses don't say "It's OK - you're British, we'll leave you alone"!

17 minutes ago, posford said:

All obviously 

I have posted earlier about cancelling without governmental agreement, first who would pay the suppliers food drink fresh food suppliers and transport most would go out of business, the ships crew would have there contracts ended the shore based employees would also be affected etc etc,so the decision to cancel would only be taken if the companies are told to.

No, you're not.  But there are quite a few here who still seem incredibly unaware of the impact of Coronavirus, how fast it's spreading, and its impact on the elderly and those with existing health conditions.

If you need evidence, look at Wuhan and the areas of China that had to be sealed off.  It's exactly the same virus we're trying to deal with, and there's no reason to suppose that it's going to be any different here.  Viruses don't say "It's OK - you're British, we'll leave you alone"!

Possibly 40 out of a population of 66 million as for China they started off by denying it existed only when it became serious did they swing into action.

13 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Possibly 40 out of a population of 66 million as for China they started off by denying it existed only when it became serious did they swing into action.

China

Total cases

New cases

+202

Total deaths

New deaths

+42

Active cases

Recovered

Serious or critical

What does your 40 represent, just out of curiosity?  The figures above are up to date and show how quickly it's spread.  This is what the UK is now planning for, whether you accept it or not.

Strangely the US has 96 cases and 6 deaths!  the numbers are all different.

. Korea 4,335 +599 28 +7 4,277 30 27
Italy 2,036 +335 52 +11 1,835 149 166
Iran 1,501 +523 66 +12 1,144 291  
Diamond Princess 705   7   598 100 36
Japan 274 +18 6   226 42 19
France 191 +61 3 +1 176 12 8
Germany 165 +35     149 16 2
Spain 120 +36     118 2 3
Singapore 108 +2     30 78 6
Hong Kong 100   2   62 36 6
USA 96 +21 6 +5 81 9  

China

Total cases

New cases

+202

Total deaths

New deaths

+42

Active cases

Recovered

Serious or critical

What does your 40 represent, just out of curiosity?  The figures above are up to date and show how quickly it's spread.  This is what the UK is now planning for, whether you accept it or not.

Sorry Harry forgot to put it down as UK population so no need to panic yet

11 minutes ago, posford said:

Ridiculous argument.  Let us forfeit or health or life for a bogus economic reason.

No actually it’s your wish for them to be cancelled i just told you some of the consequences, but if the government came out and said stop cruising stop going to football matches rugby netball etc,than we would not be having this conversation  than the companies would be compensated including suppliers.

10 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am having trouble with seeing 60+ as elderly?  Elderly to me is over 75 (I am 74 and still working and feel about 50).  However, my husband is 81.

I wish they would see me as being elderly at work they still expect me to run a section of rather large machines and being 60+

Sorry to all.  I may not have been clear.  I am am not over bothered about getting the virus.  Though my wife is as she had had pneumonia.

i am bothered about the incredible inconvenience and spoilt holiday.

if you expect to go to Florence and Rome, and you can’t. France is expected to ban ships.  Floating around the med for 2 weeks not knowing where you are going and with the risk of quarantine is not, in my opinion, a holiday.

if I were the heath minister of Portugal or Gibraltar I would really not want 3000 prospective virus spreaders invading their ports either.

Nobody loves cruising more than me, but surely common sense has to apply.