Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No different to flyers going to, say, Australia  via Dubai. 

And, even if your logic is correct, how is banning cruise ships,  with their relatively low passenger numbers, going to be of any benefit,  when millions of people are still flying? 

British Airways and Ryanair have cancelled hundreds of flights to Europe. It’s only a matter of time before cruising is suspended. I expect this decision to be taken within weeks not months.

5 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I am NOT saying ban cruises. I have my next one booked on Ventura in April and intend to go if allowed. What I am saying is that the matter may be taken out of our hands by governments or individual ports, for the reasons stated in my earlier posts. That most other forms of transport merely transport from A to B, whereas cruise ships transport from A to B to C to.....with the potential for multiple transmission of infection within a cruise.

Yes, but cruise ships are avoiding countries with outbreaks, and ships doing Southampton round trips aren't picking up passengers from other countries either.

Sorry that I got involved with this chain.

my last comment/ question on the subject :-

Are you sure that your travel insurance will cover conoravirus, with all the quarantine, repatriation etc?

Do you think P&O will cover you?

If you are, go ahead.  Have a great time.

I am not so confident.

10 minutes ago, emam said:

There was a BBC news special on Coronavirus tonight and is available on iplayer.

The "C" word ...

I'm not forgetting the others, like me ,

with Cancer,

that just want one last once cruise.

Enjoy your cruise,

Michael

Edited by $hip$hape
  • Like 1

Just for the record if people choose to cruise or not it’s there own individual decision, the lack of definitive information from the government is not helping that choice but as it stands we will so I have been told going on our cruise.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

British Airways and Ryanair have cancelled hundreds of flights to Europe. It’s only a matter of time before cruising is suspended. I expect this decision to be taken within weeks not months.

You will find it’s certain parts of Italy we’re they are stopping flying not Europe in general.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

True, but when Ministers are trying to reassure a worried public they underplay rather than overplay the likely scenario - and when the PM talks about a 'very significant expansion' in the number of cases I doubt he's making it up.

What he actually said was that they were planning for the "possibility" of a significant expansion in cases.  Which is very sensible, even if they are hoping it won't happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

But that is for commercial reasons, nothing to do with trying to limit the spread of the disease.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What he actually said was that they were planning for the "possibility" of a significant expansion in cases.  Which is very sensible, even if they are hoping it won't happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51708550

"Realistic possibility that there is now going to be a significant expansion in the number of cases"

47 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Only because there aren't enough customers to fill the flights.  If that stage is reached with cruises, which I very much doubt, cruise companies will do the same.

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51708550

"Realistic possibility that there is now going to be a significant expansion in the number of cases"

Semantics Harry, we both know he was wanting to impress people like you that he was planning for the worst, whilst making people like me feel that he was still hoping for the best. 

Which is very statesmanlike for someone you think is a liar and a buffoon.

35 minutes ago, posford said:

Sorry that I got involved with this chain.

my last comment/ question on the subject :-

Are you sure that your travel insurance will cover conoravirus, with all the quarantine, repatriation etc?

Do you think P&O will cover you?

If you are, go ahead.  Have a great time.

I am not so confident.

Yes, I am. After some of the comments on here the other day I had sore eyes reading our policy from end to end. It states in the event of an epidemic and quarantine we would be covered for all costs including accommodation and travel.

So if one of us is taken from the ship the other will wait with them until they can travel again.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, posford said:

Sorry to dampen your day happy v. But the partner would not be able to wait with the patient. That is my original point.  You would be quarantined on the ship.

Well we will just have to agree to differ on this then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, $hip$hape said:

The "C" word ...

I'm not forgetting the others, like me ,

with Cancer,

that just want one last once cruise.

Enjoy your cruise,

Michael

I'm sorry, I don't get your meaning with regards to my post. Do you think this thread is about "The Big C" (cancer)? Sorry to hear that you have it.

Edited by emam

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Harry, have you not had a pneumonia jab? Surely that must add some protection. I doubt the Chinese have had one.

When I had mine the nurse said it had very limited cover because of the numerous strains and this seems to be one of the antibiotic resistant strains that is left.

13 hours ago, staygulf said:

😭

I am embarking Aurora 17th May and my balance is paid.  Is anybody else booked on this cruise.

can anybody tell me how we stand about refunds should the foreign office discourage unnecessary travel. I don’t wish to lose my money but neither do I want to put myself in an unnecessary risk situation. Coming from the Channel Islands I have already paid for my flights to and from Southampton.  

17 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I am embarking Aurora 17th May and my balance is paid.  Is anybody else booked on this cruise.

can anybody tell me how we stand about refunds should the foreign office discourage unnecessary travel. I don’t wish to lose my money but neither do I want to put myself in an unnecessary risk situation. Coming from the Channel Islands I have already paid for my flights to and from Southampton.  

You might find this note from ABTA (P&O is a member) helpful:

https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

It rather depends on the wording and timing of the Foreign Office advice.

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I have read all I can and I think that at present, we will go on our cruise, because we will lose all the money if we cancel and we are both healthy, although "elderly" as we are well beyond 60+!!  At the minute, that's what we have decided.

Jean....you won't lose all of your money but it will be a sizable chunk that you lose. If your cruise is towards the end of April you will lose 50/60%...that's if you cancel now....longer you leave it the bigger the chunk you will lose....and of course if the government bans " large group gatherings" then we should receive a full refund......think it is like being between a rock and a hard place as to if/when to cancel.....