Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

9 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Reminds me of my mum's attitude .  She's a survivor of the Siege of Leningrad.

Now she really is a survivor ! The fact that she is still alive after what she must have gone through is amazing. Does she ever talk about it? My Mum hardly says anything, and my Dad, who was in North Africa, never said anything either.

The suffering of our parents puts the current situation into context.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes that's why I mentioned it.  I am astounded at the number of cases in Italy and also the number of deaths compared to say, Germany, France etc.  Is it because they had loads of Chinese visitors, eg venice, Milan etc.

I think the way Italian society is organised might have something to do with it. are they still family orientated with possibly multiple generations living in the same house and getting together for meals etc. If so I heard yesterday that eating a meal with a infected person present means you have about a 33% chance of being infected. also the way they greet each other. here in the UK we sometimes don't even know the names of our neighbours.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:08 PM, davemorton said:

Okay, there has been a lot of talk on various threads about cancelling cruises, and not cancelling cruises.  I am sure someone said they had already cancelled their cruise because or Corona.  I love a list, so, has anyone cancelled a cruise they were meant to be going on?  By this, I mean the cruise is <90 days away and full payment has been made. 

For disclosure, I am away in about 6 weeks I think it is, but still intend to go. 

We were scheduled for a cruise around Ireland, Scotland...  We had fully paid for the cruise, but when we called, the final payment date had been moved to 3/9/20.  Quick conference and we cancelled.  There was $200 in nonrefundable deposits, but we happily let that money go.  Rest will be refunded in near future.  Celebrity person I spoke with said due to the large number of cancellations, it could take 5 to 10 business days to process the refund.  When we saw the news today about the latest ship being held off shore in California, that confirmed we made the right decision.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Now she really is a survivor ! The fact that she is still alive after what she must have gone through is amazing. Does she ever talk about it? My Mum hardly says anything, and my Dad, who was in North Africa, never said anything either.

The suffering of our parents puts the current situation into context.

In the past Mum used to talk about life during that time.  Very humbling.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RCMarr said:

We were scheduled for a cruise around Ireland, Scotland...  We had fully paid for the cruise, but when we called, the final payment date had been moved to 3/9/20.  Quick conference and we cancelled.  There was $200 in nonrefundable deposits, but we happily let that money go.  Rest will be refunded in near future.  Celebrity person I spoke with said due to the large number of cancellations, it could take 5 to 10 business days to process the refund.  When we saw the news today about the latest ship being held off shore in California, that confirmed we made the right decision.

Just to be clear, your final payment date was March 9th, not 3rd of September.  

Still not sure why you would want to cancel. Do you know something we don't? 

Edited by wowzz

Sorry, in the US it is common to list the month first and the date second.  I realize this is not a common practice world wide.  I should have spelled out the month in my post.  The final payment date had been Feb. 8, 2020, it was moved to March 9, 2020.  

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to be clear, your final payment date was March 9th, not 3rd of September.  

Still not sure why you would want to cancel. Do you know something we don't? 

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We are still planning to go, but we have 4 Italian ports and so the cruise is looking like a major change.

Italy looks very unlikely, now that people returning from the whole of Italy are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

6 hours ago, RCMarr said:

The Grand Princess situation off California is worrying - another Diamond Princess situation developing by the looks of it.  100+ Britons stranded onboard along with 3500+ others, and California understandably reluctant to allow disembarkation.  I hope they can find some resolution before there's a spread of the virus.

24 minutes ago, Tommart said:

The Grand Princess situation off California is worrying - another Diamond Princess situation developing by the looks of it.  100+ Britons stranded onboard along with 3500+ others, and California understandably reluctant to allow disembarkation.  I hope they can find some resolution before there's a spread of the virus.

Hi all.Not sure but news just said that of the two passengers thought to be responsible ?(may have been on back to back) 1may have died BBC (I hope this is no fact).As above very worrying.

Testing kits air lifted onboard.

Edited by Daveuj

26 minutes ago, Daveuj said:

Hi all.Not sure but news just said that of the two passengers thought to be responsible ?(may have been on back to back) 1may have died BBC (I hope this is no fact).As above very worrying.

Testing kits air lifted onboard.

Not mentioned any death on news at 7am (SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE MAY NOT BE FACT)sorry.

9 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We are 81 and 73, neither of us have any health problems, well not ones that would be affected by this.  My main fear is being quarantined in my cabin for 14 days!

Jean,

Do you have an IPad? if so load it up with films and jigsaws, there is a free App. For jigsaws but make sure you download them whilst you have WiFi.    I’m sure you will have a wonderful time.

Christine

8 hours ago, staygulf said:

And if you end up being caught out like those on the Diamond Princess or those now on the Grand Princess who can’t rock and will probably be quarantined on land, will your employers be generous enough to not count that as part of your holiday allowance?

No, i just wont get paid for any extra time off, not even my employer who arent the most generous in the world will class that as "holiday allowance".

2 hours ago, Tommart said:

Italy looks very unlikely, now that people returning from the whole of Italy are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Not quite right.  You've got to be careful about sharing misinformation as it just causes more fear. 

You've only got to self isolate for 14 days, if you've returned from one of the 10 small Italian cities that have been put on lockdown, regardless of whether you have any symptoms.  For everywhere else in Italy, you've only got to self isolate if you have any Coronavirus symptoms. 

1 hour ago, Daveuj said:

Not mentioned any death on news at 7am (SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE MAY NOT BE FACT)sorry.

In addition to the BBC, Sky News have just reported that a previous passenger on Grand Princess had died of the virus, hence the reluctance of the US to allow docking (plus the shortage of testing kits), so if it’s not true it’s being widely reported!

I tried to call P&O yesterday to check where we were with our two forthcoming cruises but there was a recorded message saying that there was an internet outage in the Southampton area and all their systems were down. Convenient? With yet another cruise ship now in the headlines for the wrong reasons the already high level of cancellations is surely going to get worse. 

We are still intending to go on our May cruise (fully paid) but are starting to have second thoughts about our July / August one as we have a huge balance to pay by the end of April. Like many others, it’s not so much the virus that is worrying us, but the prospect of cabin quarantine especially, as proved by the Diamond Princess, that approach doesn’t work and in fact seems to doom many of those quarantined to contract the virus. 

Edited by Selbourne

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In addition to the BBC, Sky News have just reported that a previous passenger on Grand Princess had died of the virus, hence the reluctance of the US to allow docking (plus the shortage of testing kits), so if it’s not true it’s being widely reported!

I tried to call P&O yesterday to check where we were with our two forthcoming cruises but there was a recorded message saying that there was an internet outage in the Southampton area and all their systems were down. Convenient? With yet another cruise ship now in the headlines for the wrong reasons the already high level of cancellations is surely going to get worse. 

We are still intending to go on our May cruise (fully paid) but are starting to have second thoughts about our July / August one as we have a huge balance to pay by the end of April. Like many others, it’s not so much the virus that is worrying us, but the prospect of cabin quarantine especially, as proved by the Diamond Princess, that approach doesn’t work and in fact seems to doom many of those quarantined to contract the virus. 

I'd be more concerned about the May cruise (I go in May too).  I would think that by July/August we'll be well beyond the point of even considering quarantining a ship because it will have spread far and wide.  

15 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That was actually true.  In this area Virgin Media Internet was down for just over 12 hours.

However I do think the lack of information and failure to 'step up' is putting P&O in a very poor light.  Hopefully with communications restored, you will get something from them today, Selbourne. 🤔  Good luck.  

11 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Carnival have also implemented this new policy.  Maybe P&O will soon issue the same?

Well seeing as how P and O Cruises is really Carnival plc t/a P and O Cruises maybe action could be taken against Carnival if they don’t apply the same booking terms to all aspects of their business instead of being discriminatory 

• Like 1

Cruises are scheduled with Italian ports in just a couple of weeks time. They are still currently being advertised and going there. I hope people are not going to end up with numerous extra sea days as there is more than adequate time to plan for contingency.

To add insult to injury not only is there no clear policy, which other lines have provided, the prices have also dropped like a brick for new bookers.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Cruises are scheduled with Italian ports in just a couple of weeks time. They are still currently being advertised and going there. I hope people are not going to end up with numerous extra sea days as there is more than adequate time to plan for contingency.

To add insult to injury not only is there no clear policy, which other lines have provided, the prices have also dropped like a brick for new bookers.

Would be completely pointless re-routing a cruise whilst there's still 2 weeks to go - this is such a fast changing situation that they could do all of that and then everything will change again in a week.  And then people will moan about being messed around with another set of itinerary changes.  

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Would be completely pointless re-routing a cruise whilst there's still 2 weeks to go - this is such a fast changing situation that they could do all of that and then everything will change again in a week.  And then people will moan about being messed around with another set of itinerary changes.  

I take your point however the restrictions on certain areas of Italy are not likely to be removed in that time scale so should they be selling cruises still advertising as going there?

You are correct they probably can’t say we are going to X instead at this point in time as x might be the next restricted zone. I just hope it is not used to add sea days.

24 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Well seeing as how P and O Cruises is really Carnival plc t/a P and O Cruises maybe action could be taken against Carnival if they don’t apply the same booking terms to all aspects of their business instead of being discriminatory 

It was interesting to see the notice from Princess.

I think P&O must follow suit as it will be a Carnival decision. The problem at the moment is that the P&O website is still down, presumably because of the Virgin Media outage.

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I take your point however the restrictions on certain areas of Italy are not likely to be removed in that time scale so should they be selling cruises still advertising as going there?

You are correct they probably can’t say we are going to X instead at this point in time as x might be the next restricted zone. I just hope it is not used to add sea days.

Do P&O visit any of the places in Italy that have restrictions in place?  It's only the 10 small cities that are on lockdown.  In a couple of weeks we could find that Italy has reached it's peak and another European country is then facing a huge upturn in numbers.  It could be us in the UK, in which case, we'll be no worse going to any other country, than staying in our own (assuming the ship is allowed to dock).  It's such an exceptional set of circumstances that I don't think anyone can really say what will happen.  It must be an absolute nightmare for travel companies and for travellers to weigh up the risks of whether they should travel or not.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That would not only be fraudulent advertising, but would be easily actionable under the Package  Travel Regulations

Edited by staygulf