Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Just now, Hampshire Steve said:

Relevant to the question above I thought.

Cruse cancelled by P&O attracts a refund and the FCC

But we’re in uncharted territory. They would most likely follow the actions of the other Carnival divisions. 

1 minute ago, bobstheboy said:

It will be nice to know what people are being offered. I am 15 days from departure date and over 70. I will post what I am offered, hope others do the same.

You are entitled to a full refund. Anything more is at their discretion. Keep us posted. I’m waiting as there is a chance the cruise might be cancelled. 

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I have, but I never received the first emails offering the cruise credit.  I have had nothing at all.  My friend has also cancelled, yet she has received the latest email as well as all the others.

Jean we have not heard a thing regarding out 2020 cruise but have received all emails for our 2021 cruise, not sure what is going on!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

From the current T&Cs

tcs.PNG.c9b68438056dd92b53f730cd2ead7cdf.PNG

thank you. 
that was very interesting to know and I know it might not be relevant to some but was to me. 

just hope if this does happen can I use my FCC on an existing book? 
plus £250 of my cruise I have now is part compensation of a big issue with them so they would need to move that for me too. I shouldn’t have to lose that complaint goodwill if they cancel my cruise. 

surely they will have to cancel them. There is little ports open it seems. Over 70s told not to travel and I do wonder what percentage is over 70. There must be a good chunk? I just can’t see this happening now. 

might return all the formal

items bought now too

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

thank you. 
that was very interesting to know and I know it might not be relevant to some but was to me. 

plus £250 of my cruise I have now is part compensation of a big issue with them so they would need to move that for me too. I shouldn’t have to lose that complaint goodwill if they cancel my cruise. 

surely they will have to cancel them. There is little ports open it seems. Over 70s told not to travel and I do wonder what percentage is over 70. There must be a good chunk? I just can’t see this happening now. 

items bought now too

Up to now you cannot use FCC for existing bookings and cannot see that changing in the near future.

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Had mine. Supposed to be on Britannia on 27th March. They are dealing with cruises departing within next 14 days and will contact me again. Hoping for a full refund.

My cruise isn't until November 6th. Full payment due the begining of August. I've received an email from P&O this evening saying that  I can transfer our holiday free of charge. I have until August 31st. I'm hoping it'll be safe to cruise by then. After dragging their feet earlier it's got me wondering now. Why they are looking so far ahead?

Avril 

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Up to now you cannot use FCC for existing bookings and cannot see that changing in the near future.

I know not till now but there is no cruise that I can do other than what I have already booked. 

think if I don’t get the cruise promised. Want a full refund and the fcc can just sit there. The £250 compensation however will be going on my iona cruise should the Easter one be cancelled. Suppose as long as I’m not out of pocket that’s fine. 

We cancelled our April cruise yesterday and transferred the credit to one already booked for Feb 2021, via a cancel and re-booking, however tonight I received the new e-mail from P&O following the advice from the govt for over 70's not to cruise, which said since it was over 14 days away they would contact us about it later.

So I am surmising they will be making a better offer than the one issued yesterday, but whether the offer will extend to those of us who have already cancelled, who knows.

PS Also had an e-mail from IHG the Holiday Inn group saying they were waiving their cancellation fees for stays up to 30th April.  I hope Premier Inn follow suit as our April booking was with them. 

Edited by terrierjohn

44 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

thank you. 

items bought now too

There must be a high proportion of cruisers who are 70 plus or with underlying conditions  on P and O ships who must now cancel. To continue with their travel plans would mean travelling against FCO advice and would thus invalidate their travel insurance. P and O travel contracts require you to have travel insurance if I am not mistaken. So there is no question of not cancelling their cruises. 

Edited by staygulf
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

thank you. 

items bought now too

We had a small amount each from an old complaint as OBC on our cancelled cruise, I am waiting for the revised docs from my TA to see if this has been transfered to the replacement booking, which was an existing one but we had to lose the original deposit to put the FCC against this.

28 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I know not till now but there is no cruise that I can do other than what I have already booked. 

think if I don’t get the cruise promised. Want a full refund and the fcc can just sit there. The £250 compensation however will be going on my iona cruise should the Easter one be cancelled. Suppose as long as I’m not out of pocket that’s fine. 

Being realistic, I think you should discount being able to do any cruise this year.. Hopefully you/us will get our money back,  but the future of cruising looks pretty bleak at the moment.  By 2022 things may be back to some sort of normality. 

Edited by wowzz

The speed with which this whole situation is evolving is unbelievable and quite frightening. It’s almost as if a large part of the World is going into meltdown. With stock markets now down by around one third in a matter of weeks, the impact on businesses in general is clearly anticipated to be enormous, but for industries such as cruising it will be catastrophic. There will inevitably be cruise company casualties at the end of all this, which is very sad.

Within just 24 hours of receiving positive (albeit belated) news from P&O about revised cancellation options, we now have a situation where more ports are closing to cruise ships by the hour and over 70’s and those with health conditions are now advised against cruising. Surely it is going to be completely impractical for any cruise ship to set sail before too long.

We have not opted for the cruise credit for our upcoming cruises as it now seems highly likely that by sitting tight we will be able to get a 100% cash refund. I bet P&O now wish that they had introduced their revised policy much sooner, so as to tie a greater number of passengers into future cruises. They sat on their hands for far too long and, as a result, will end up having to refund far more cruises than would have been the case had they acted sooner. I now predict that they will be equally slow (and probably one of the last) to cancel cruises altogether, hoping that large numbers of booked guests will transfer bookings, thus avoiding the need to refund them. If someone had written a novel just 6 months ago with a storyline like this, people would have said it was too far fetched to be believable. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The speed with which this whole situation is evolving is unbelievable and quite frightening. It’s almost as if a large part of the World is going into meltdown. With stock markets now down by around one third in a matter of weeks, the impact on businesses in general is clearly anticipated to be enormous, but for industries such as cruising it will be catastrophic. There will inevitably be cruise company casualties at the end of all this, which is very sad.

Within just 24 hours of receiving positive (albeit belated) news from P&O about revised cancellation options, we now have a situation where more ports are closing to cruise ships by the hour and over 70’s and those with health conditions are now advised against cruising. Surely it is going to be completely impractical for any cruise ship to set sail before too long.

We have not opted for the cruise credit for our upcoming cruises as it now seems highly likely that by sitting tight we will be able to get a 100% cash refund. I bet P&O now wish that they had introduced their revised policy much sooner, so as to tie a greater number of passengers into future cruises. They sat on their hands for far too long and, as a result, will end up having to refund far more cruises than would have been the case had they acted sooner. I now predict that they will be equally slow (and probably one of the last) to cancel cruises altogether, hoping that large numbers of booked guests will transfer bookings, thus avoiding the need to refund them. If someone had written a novel just 6 months ago with a storyline like this, people would have said it was too far fetched to be believable. 

That's a very good analysis. I see that Princess are offering a 175% FCC or a cash refund as a result of their decision to suspend operations. 

If the cruise companies had done that even a week ago, they would have got thousands of acceptances.  As it is, I,  and I suspect many others,  will just take the money when P&O finally throw in the towel and give full refunds.