Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

3 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

But then why did they offer generous OBC for people to continue their cruise?

Not disagreeing with you, it’s just the OBC offer seems a bit odd if they want people to cancel their cruises...

OBC involves no cash. The very last thing they need is yet further cashflow problems. They've been dishing out credits right left and centre to avoid refunds, but of course if Carnival goes under those credits are worthless.

11 minutes ago, staygulf said:

incidentally, a refund must be made within 14 days. 

Really, now that is interesting!  And I am quite clued up on Consumer issues - knew about challenging cancellation charges and used it with Princess on one occasion, and once set in motion a Small Claims against easyJet, at which point they caved in but I had to agree to an NDA 😄.  Off to research cancellation refunds now.  I should add that I do have some sympathy with the volume of work that P&O have on their hands at the moment, it's just that I am in danger of paying out a very large credit card bill (unrelated) and then having a large P&O refund to the same cc a few months later.  I would rather one almost cancelled out the other.

Edited by mrsgoggins

4 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Really, now that is interesting!  And I am quite clued up on Consumer issues - knew about challenging cancellation charges and used it with Princess on one occasion, and once set in motion a Small Claims against easyJet, at which point they caved in but I had to agree to an NDA 😄.  Off to research cancellation refunds now.  I should add that I do have some sympathy with the volume of work that P&O have on their hands at the moment, it's just that I am in danger of paying out a very large credit card bill (unrelated) and then having a large P&O refund to the same cc a few months later.  I would rather one almost cancelled out the other.

Regulations 13(3) and 14(3) of the Package Travel Regulations 2018

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

If anyone has any problems getting refunds within 14 days, just refer the company to Regulation 14 (3) of The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.

• Like 1

We wanted to let you know about an important development. As a result of the continued impact of COVID-19, and following the recommendation by the Cruise Lines International Association for cruise lines to voluntarily and temporarily suspend operations from U.S. ports for 30 days, P&O Cruises is suspending any new cruises until April 11, 2020. Here’s P&O Cruises President Paul Ludlow with an update on this evolving situation:

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pocruises.com%2Fimagesnetstorage%2Femail%2Fprecruise%2F2020%2Fjan20%2Fcoronavirus%2Fimages%2Fvideo_full3.png&t=1584354961&ymreqid=ed96cd03-0414-9248-1cd5-71003c019600&sig=cQxBbiqcIxI3_foZTb4HyQ--~C

1 minute ago, Les_ldh said:

I must be being a bit slow this morning. Where is the link to apply for a full refund?

Please complete this form by 30 November 2020 if you do not wish to take advantage of our enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer. By completing the form below, you are forfeiting this offer and will instead receive 100% monetary compensation to the value of your cancelled holiday. Please note we are only able to process such requests via this online form due to the current demand on our customer contact centre. 

it’s in their announcement 

interestingly, there is nothing in the legislation which requires you to apply to receive a refund. It is their obligation and they are not liable to offer compensation. The fact that they are offering compensation if you take FCC is irrelevant. If you stay silent and do not accept their offer of FCC they must refund you. 

I’m sorry Staygulf.  I know you can see the link you are talking about and you must think I am particularly stupid in not seeing it - but I can’t locate it

What announcement?  There wasn’t a link in the email I got.  There’s nothing (I can see) in the twitter announcement.

I’ve located Contact Us but that doesn’t have a specific Request Refund drop-down.  It would be simpler for everyone if I can find a specific Request Refund link

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m sorry Staygulf.  I know you can see the link you are talking about and you must think I am particularly stupid in not seeing it - but I can’t locate it

What announcement?  There wasn’t a link in the email I got.  There’s nothing (I can see) in the twitter announcement.

I’ve located Contact Us but that doesn’t have a specific Request Refund drop-down.  It would be simpler for everyone if I can find a specific Request Refund link

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CORONAVIRUSAPRILONWARD&utm_term=PO-5619775&utm_content=&utm_campaign=PO+Cruises+here

click on the link in the announcement 

10 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Please complete this form by 30 November 2020 if you do not wish to take advantage of our enhanced 125% Future Cruise Credit offer. By completing the form below, you are forfeiting this offer and will instead receive 100% monetary compensation to the value of your cancelled holiday. Please note we are only able to process such requests via this online form due to the current demand on our customer contact centre. 

it’s in their announcement 

interestingly, there is nothing in the legislation which requires you to apply to receive a refund. It is their obligation and they are not liable to offer compensation. The fact that they are offering compensation if you take FCC is irrelevant. If you stay silent and do not accept their offer of FCC they must refund you. 

Well if that's true, I guess that also means there is no deadline by which you have to apply for a refund - at any point in future you can call them and ask why you haven't received your refund yet.

My TA contact working in a large on line cruise agency ( please see my earlier post) reported that the ‘30 day pause’ in sailings is pretty standard across the cruise lines just now.

Apparently Princess are the only ones to go for a 60 day stop immediately.

Julia

6 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

Well if that's true, I guess that also means there is no deadline by which you have to apply for a refund - at any point in future you can call them and ask why you haven't received your refund yet.

Yes and see my earlier post about refunds must be made within 14 days. You don’t have to apply for a refund. 

They have got it wrong. It should be that you have to apply to accept their offer (say within a time limit of maybe a week) failing which a refund should be automatic 

Edited by staygulf

9 minutes ago, staygulf said:

Yes and see my earlier post about refunds must be made within 14 days. You don’t have to apply for a refund. 

They have got it wrong. It should be that you have to apply to accept their offer (say within a time limit of maybe a week) failing which a refund should be automatic 

Legally you are probably right, but, they appear to be doing the opposite and I'm not sure that anyone is going to take them to court to stop them at this point. 

Maybe I am a cynic, but I am convinced that P&O knows full well that it won’t be cruising anywhere for a number of months (certainly beyond 11th April). I can’t see them repositioning all ships back to Southampton if it was just for a few weeks, especially as many passengers who were overseas have been flown home. They can’t even count, as 11th April is 26 days not 30!

The reason for only stating 30 (26) days is because they are relying on passengers booked on cruises beyond 11th April to panic into taking a proportion of their money as Future Cruise Credit, with the ticking clock of the proportion of FCC versus cash increasing as the weeks count down. This approach has worked so far, as evidenced by many posting on here who have done just that. 

Perhaps I am foolish (time will tell) but I am continuing to sit tight. Our next cruise is in May and I am increasingly of the view that it will be cancelled and we will get a 100% cash refund. FCC is of no interest to us at all, even 125%. As others have said, in these exceptionally volatile times where anything could happen, cash is King! Alternatively, the itinerary will change beyond all recognition. We booked a Norwegian Fjords Cruise, so if we end up with a proposed itinerary that bears no resemblance to that, it would constitute a breach of contract in my book and we would also be entitled to a 100% refund. Having paid by credit card, we also have an added level of protection, should we need it.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Javert1969 said:

Legally you are probably right, but, they appear to be doing the opposite and I'm not sure that anyone is going to take them to court to stop them at this point. 

From personal experience, and the experience of others here, I can assure you there's no need to take them to court. They will settle fairly quickly, well before that stage is reached, but you do need to be fully aware of the relevant legislation, and you do need the ability to push the claim coherently and with perseverance.

5 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Maybe I am a cynic, but I am convinced that P&O knows full well that it won’t be cruising anywhere for a number of months (certainly beyond 11th April). I can’t see them repositioning all ships back to Southampton if it was just for a few weeks, especially as many passengers who were overseas have been flown home. They can’t even count, as 11th April is 26 days not 30!

The reason for only stating 30 (26) days is because they are relying on passengers booked on cruises beyond 11th April to panic into taking a proportion of their money as Future Cruise Credit, with the ticking clock of the proportion of FCC versus cash increasing as the weeks count down. This approach has worked so far, as evidenced by many posting on here who have done just that. 

Perhaps I am foolish (time will tell) but I am continuing to sit tight. Our next cruise is in May and I am increasingly of the view that it will be cancelled and we will get a 100% cash refund. FCC is of no interest to us at all, even 125%. As others have said, in these exceptionally volatile times where anything could happen, cash is King! Alternatively, the itinerary will change beyond all recognition. We booked a Norwegian Fjords Cruise, so if we end up with a proposed itinerary that bears no resemblance to that, it would constitute a breach of contract in my book and we would also be entitled to a 100% refund. Having paid by credit card, we also have an added level of protection, should we need it.  

Up until now I had been taking the same stance with our 30 April booking. I had very nearly  cancelled when they previously changed their terms because of the FCO advice about underlying conditions but held on just in case there was a better offer. Eating my cake and having it too!

When our Princess cruise was cancelled in February 2 months prior to sail date we received a full refund PLUS 25% FCC. It seems clear now that P and O will not be playing that game so I might as well go ahead and cancel now.