Leaked Emails: Norwegian Pressures Sales Team to Lie About Coronavirus

True or not true, all of this will lower NCL pricing which was only going up and up lately. And I can't say I feel sorry for lower prices for NCL's product.

The new no-fly ban for Europeans won't help either, although their percentage is smaller on US departure ports compared to US citizens.

Its sad but not really surprising considering the high pressure on sales teams that sell products or cruises.  However, lately FDR has made buying a cruise like buying a car.  As they say in the car sales business:  If they don't get you on the price, they get you on the financing, if they don't get you on the financing, they get you on your trade, if they don't get you on your trade, they will get you with all the extras.

If NCL does not get you on the price, they get you on the up-charging, etc etc.

Not long ago the NCL director of travel agent sales had a slip of the tongue when she said that the "Free at Sea" program was such a success because customers think they are getting free drinks and free meals.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EBRB said:

Oh yeah, because I’m going to take medical advice from a cruise line call center rep 🙄

i'm a doctor (MD) irl.

you will be shocked where ppl get their medical advice other than me.

6 minutes ago, jknc said:

How long until Norwegian goes out of business?

I really hope that doesn't become an unfortunate reality.   While I was on my pity pot last night looking at how far my stock portfolio has dumped in the past few weeks I started thinking about all the good folks employed in the travel and leisure industry.  Quite a few of them are going to be in a really tough place when layoffs commence.

I've been there and done that, it's not a fun experience.  Keep those folks in your thoughts for a little perspective.

• Like 2

It wouldn't be in the Washington Post if they hadn't done a thorough job of vetting the story.  They would have talked to the actual sources before publishing.

It's unforgivable to tell people the only thing they have to worry about is bringing enough sunscreen.'

The ships are not equipped to handle more than a couple of seriously ill people while waiting for them to be air lifted off the boat. 

46 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I really hope that doesn't become an unfortunate reality.   While I was on my pity pot last night looking at how far my stock portfolio has dumped in the past few weeks I started thinking about all the good folks employed in the travel and leisure industry.  Quite a few of them are going to be in a really tough place when layoffs commence.

I've been there and done that, it's not a fun experience.  Keep those folks in your thoughts for a little perspective.

So how long until Norwegian declares bankruptcy? 

12 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

About 5 minutes after they're forced to cancel the next months cruise dates.  

That to them would be a home run. Imagine all the debt you can rid yourself of and be able to restructure, park a ship or two and even sell them, slim down, and lay off.  Oh yeah, and all that FCC you can get rid of!!

Put two and two together my seabound friends, jack the prices so you don’t want to reinvest the credit, but at same time push issuing the credit. The more you put in the FCC pot the more they can shed. 

Someone a few days back said, why are they being so great with offering the FCC and making it so easy to do? Goodwill was somewhat out character for NCLH financially, maybe almost like looking a gift horse in the mouth? Theres something more to it then, we just cant see it yet. 

Im booked May 17th. Even if I have to go alone (without the family) and unless I can’t, by god Im going!

Watch the stock price carefully guys. Also watch for sudden Federal bans on cruising, if one hits, Id say pick a cruise, bite the bullet and pay more than you would normally, get that FCC on the books fast, and then immediately call and get cancel for any reason insurance for that sailing. That may protect your FCC, I’m not sure if the Insurance would see that as insurable cash cost, but at least its not in an imaginary FCC pot that can be disposed of in Chapter 11 court. 

Edited by BoundForSea

22 hours ago, denverj said:

Damn.  My family and I are supposed to be going on the Breakaway (first time on NCL) on the 14th and have been going back and forth trying to decide to cancel.  I have until midnight tonight.   I was hoping that NCL would cave and offer full refunds instead of FCC, which would make the decision easier.   On the other hand we really want to go ...

We have an April cruise on the Bliss for 21 days and today we decided to cancel. One of us is over 70 and i have elderly family to think about. The decision was easy. We still have a cruise in October so hopefully things will improve by then.

We are always  looking forward to any cruise however the count down to this one became a dread more than a joy, so that was our red flag that it was time to cancel.

Edited by spanishguy1970

3 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So were is the email? What was the date on it?

I could call the news and say I work for anybody, but can't tell you my name!

That's a pretty ignorant take on how sources for news organizations work. The news organizations know who the whistleblower is and have seen their evidence. However, they have a constitutional right to protect the whistleblower and not release their identity to the public.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jeremyosborne81 said:

That's a pretty ignorant take on how sources for news organizations work. The news organizations know who the whistleblower is and have seen their evidence. However, they have a constitutional right to protect the whistleblower and not release their identity to the public.

Please show me were I asked for the person name? They can show a email with name blanked out!

You don't think the news lies everyday? They print stories from the top everyday without checking the facts!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lionkingrichard said:

So were is the email? What was the date on it?

I could call the news and say I work for anybody, but can't tell you my name!

Even the story says they were told to call 150 per day, yet then goes on to say most calls were about canceling?

So when every news entity from the Washington Post to the Business Times to Fox News called NCL to ask them about a fake email that exposes them to mass liability and literally threatens to hasten the end of the company as we know it, NCL declined to say “it is fake, if you print that it is libel” but instead said “no comment”?

Come on.  You’re living in a fantasy world.  The email obviously exists.  I wish it didn’t but it plainly does.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Any new story that I've seen regarding the NCL emails state that their source is the Miami New Times.

"Norwegian Cruise Line sales managers instructed employees to downplay the risks of the coronavirus and in some cases mislead potential customers to secure bookings during the outbreak, according to a Miami New Times report." (Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cruise-ship-company-norwegian-misleading-sales-talking-points-report-2020-3)

AND

"Leaked emails from Norwegian Cruise Line that surfaced Wednesday show that the company provided prepped responses to give customers who asked about the coronavirus.

The emails were leaked to the  Miami New Times by an anonymous Norwegian Cruise Line employee. They show managers asking the sales team to provide customers with false information about the coronavirus when asked about it. (Newsweek https://www.newsweek.com/norwegian-cruise-lines-leaked-emails-show-company-urging-employees-lie-about-coronavirus-1491777)

I'm not saying that the stories aren't true. (They may well be.) I'd just like to see a vetted, verified story from a reliable news source.

1 minute ago, Suite Heart said:

Any new story that I've seen regarding the NCL emails state that their source is the Miami New Times.

"Norwegian Cruise Line sales managers instructed employees to downplay the risks of the coronavirus and in some cases mislead potential customers to secure bookings during the outbreak, according to a Miami New Times report." (Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cruise-ship-company-norwegian-misleading-sales-talking-points-report-2020-3)

AND

"Leaked emails from Norwegian Cruise Line that surfaced Wednesday show that the company provided prepped responses to give customers who asked about the coronavirus.

The emails were leaked to the  Miami New Times by an anonymous Norwegian Cruise Line employee. They show managers asking the sales team to provide customers with false information about the coronavirus when asked about it. (Newsweek https://www.newsweek.com/norwegian-cruise-lines-leaked-emails-show-company-urging-employees-lie-about-coronavirus-1491777)

I'm not saying that the stories aren't true. (They may well be.) I'd just like to see a vetted, verified story from a reliable news source.

Washington Post says they saw the email and spoke to whistleblower.

Again, if untrue where is the NCL press release?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

NCL has a real culture problem.  I've recently had some insight into their corporate world and culture and it's ruthless.  I'm not ate all surprised by this.  It'a ALL about the $$, 100%, not even 1% is for customer satisfaction (unless it directly adds to the profitability) and safety is impacted by the culture as well.  

Be careful my friends with holding onto the FCC.  I fear this is drive to get the corporation to the bankruptcy courts, where FCC (remember it has no value in the marketplace outside NCLH, and can be made valueless with the strike of a peon and policy) can be dismissed, and a lot of the debt forgiven.  I would not put this past the executive leadership to sustain the bottom line for stockholders.

• Like 1

While I would like to see this be "fake news" I can imagine some sales manager coming up with those tactics to overcome objections to cruising now with the COVID-19 on the rise. Some sales managers loose whatever ethics they might have had when sales are down.