Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

helen haywood

Regarding the question about whether a doctor would be willing to sign such a form, two physicians have told me they would be unwilling to sign blanket "medically fit to travel" forms even if their patients are healthy because there are too many unknowns. I also think there are too many liability issues for doctors in such cases. One doctor said he was shocked that the Celebrity form specifically rules out people with conditions such as diabetes, cancer and HIV since many people who are being treated for those conditions travel all the time. I can understand taking drastic steps during this health crisis, but once it abates, I would hope this rule is dropped because I think seniors will have a very difficult time finding any doctor to sign such a form.

• Like 3

I sure wish those of you who are actually physicians (there must be some here on CC) would comment on this issue directly.  Please no fakes or wanna-be's need respond.  Seriously any MD's out there who want to comment?

• Like 1

Take the 70+ doctors form completely out of the equation. Logic and common sense tells me that I don't want to cruise for at least 90 days. Even if this crisis levels out and begins to subside, there are lingering effects and residuals which require awareness and caution until elimination. Cruise lines should not want to sail for the same reason. The prudent decision, which alleviates stress and indecision, would be to cease all operations through September 2020. Refund all monies to paid passengers and plan to resume cruising in October. We all need a clean, reconciled starting point from which to begin anew with options to adjust if necessary.

Personally, I want to see a clean slate worldwide. Certainly don't need a redo because of greed, selfishness and lack of common sense.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 8

We now know that coronavirus may affect anyone regardless of age. It would be prudent for Celebrity to cancel all cruises until the form is no longer required. Requiring anyone to present a Heath form implies that Celbrity knows that they are offering an unsafe product and they are just attempting to midegate damages by getting a release from passengers.

• Like 4

Let's not forget that drs have lawyers..just like Celebrity.  

Signing a med form for summer camp may be one thing but a certification of  fitness to travel quite another...

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, joeinsb said:

One doctor said he was shocked that the Celebrity form specifically rules out people with conditions such as diabetes, cancer and HIV since many people who are being treated for those conditions travel all the time.

I'm even more shocked that any qualified doctor would make such a statement given the warnings from the CDC and countless other medical bodies. Take this example from the International Diabetes Federation:

Older people and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease and asthma) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the COVID-19 virus. When people with diabetes develop a viral infection, it can be harder to treat due to fluctuations in blood glucose levels and, possibly, the presence of diabetes complications. There appear to be two reasons for this. Firstly, the immune system is compromised, making it harder to fight the virus and likely leading to a longer recovery period. Secondly, the virus may thrive in an environment of elevated blood glucose.

As a diabetic who travels extensively, I would agree with your doctor that, in normal times, this and other medical conditions shouldn't automatically rule out travel, but COVID-19 is a complete game changer.

Well, the latest report from the CDC shows that something like 40% of the hospital admissions in the US are age 20-54. That doesn't yet appear to be adjusted for the size of that group in the population versus the over 70, but does show a significant requirement for medical resources, including ICU, for those younger than 70.

The case fatality rate is still highest over 70, but a cruise ship under those circumstances would need to be prepared for ICU with respiratory care in pretty much its entire shipboard population. And if that's the real concern, the over 70 thing may be interpreted differently when cruising resumes, or they'll have to hold off longer because they can't screen out their high risk population. I'm pretty sure they'd like to minimize the need for intensive care, and also minimize the likelihood of shipboard fatalities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm even more shocked that any qualified doctor would make such a statement given the warnings from the CDC and countless other medical bodies. Take this example from the International Diabetes Federation:

Older people and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, heart disease and asthma) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the COVID-19 virus. When people with diabetes develop a viral infection, it can be harder to treat due to fluctuations in blood glucose levels and, possibly, the presence of diabetes complications. There appear to be two reasons for this. Firstly, the immune system is compromised, making it harder to fight the virus and likely leading to a longer recovery period. Secondly, the virus may thrive in an environment of elevated blood glucose.

As a diabetic who travels extensively, I would agree with your doctor that, in normal times, this and other medical conditions shouldn't automatically rule out travel, but COVID-19 is a complete game changer.

I am a type 2 diabetic with a a1c of 5.4 controlled with diet and meds. (No insulin) under no circumstances would I take a chance on a cruise anywhere at this time and the foreseeable future. We have one on Seabourn booked for Sept and one with Celebrity Australia and New Zealand Jan 2021. We will not be making final payment and I don’t want a FCC

Edited by alwaysonaship
  • Like 2

If you are older than 70 and have cruised before without problems but you have asthma, et5c. Clelbrity won't let you on their ship because you are not qualified to cruise according to them. Then, they will give you a credit for another cruise you will not be allowed to travel on because you are "unfit" to cruise. Sounds like theft to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Barcelona17 said:

And your point is?

16 hours ago, babylene said:

I think her point is that the reason for the "over 70" rule is that the coronavirus is more dangerous for that age group. That was a few weeks ago. Now it has become too dangerous for anyone to cruise.

When all this is over, I don't think a note will still be required

Barcelona - I was attempting to respond to a question about if anyone had received a Doc's sign-off to travel.   I also commented that some of the info here appears to be based on best guesses rather than actual experience with a Doc.  

Babylene - I agree.  BTW, I'm a guy!  😄

Everyone stay well.  

I am hoping once this coronavirus passes, that the need for a doctor's slip will also go by the wayside....I mean, seriously, look at the age of cruisers...….also, being retired, is great to jump on last minute cruising deals.  How can I do this if it takes me 4 wks to get an appointment with my doctor??? 

On 3/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, az_tchr said:

Lots of people out there would give it a go.

Agree that if they are provided with a note saying you should not travel a 100% refund should be given

Two other things in the proposal are to ban travel from Italy - RCL put out notice it was looking at port and destination changes.

And the biggie - a government hearing in Victoria BC starting shortly to close BC ports - Vancouver and Victoria - until a future date. Not clear but sounded like June.  Would reevaluate then.

just cancelled/rescheduled our Alaskan trip for 5/30.....I did not think it would work out

A child in Boca Raton has tested positive for coronavirus. Four from a NJ. family have coronavirus. None of these individuals would have been required to have a doctor sign a form. The form is useless.I won't board a ship until this passes. Hope all recover quickly and completely.

Edited by Orator
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Barcelona - I was attempting to respond to a question about if anyone had received a Doc's sign-off to travel.   I also commented that some of the info here appears to be based on best guesses rather than actual experience with a Doc.  

Babylene - I agree.  BTW, I'm a guy!  😄

Everyone stay well.  

Hi Guy!  Sorry!

19 hours ago, hcat said:

Let's not forget that drs have lawyers..just like Celebrity.  

Signing a med form for summer camp may be one thing but a certification of  fitness to travel quite another...

We are pretty healthy and my wife is just over 70. We go to the same MD, I know he would not sign it. He's not going to jeapordize his practice and would not blame him.  

BTW, we are scheduled for the Reflection April 24th Trans-Atlantic, have not cancelled yet-plan to. Have not recieved any request from Celebrity or seen it on the website.

15 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

If you are considering sailing in the next year it's a note from a head doctor you would need.

I started a thread on this (re vaccination). Was taken down

Itbwas a Hot thread, too.  Hmmmm 

I have not been notified of this by Celebrity...only know about it from what I read on cruise forums.  What might happen if I show up at the dock and tell them I was never notified?  Unless they might notify me before the sail date, which is in May and may be cancelled anyway.  

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The Coronavirus Health Protocols can be found here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/travel-alert

Thanks for the link.

We have taken a lot of Celebrity trans-Atlantic cruises. This was going to be our 8th one. Judging from my observation of the demographics of the ages of the passengers and numerous times we have made unscheduled stops (one time in the Azores, another time leaving Vigo and having to return, helicopters landing on the bow helipad, etc...) for a medical related disembarking, it's going to leave those trans-Atlantic cruises 1/2 empty. 

Probably reason we did not get it is that going to be reviewd in 30 days.

We will see how this goes.

Edited by Banjo

27 minutes ago, gotcha3 said:

What is to stop me from signing the form myself?

Nothing. But if you suspect that your doctor has a good reason refuse to declare you fit to cruise while the coronavirus continues to threaten the health and lives of passengers, why would you ever falsify the document?