Jump to content

Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)


Recommended Posts

Just now, bikerunner said:

All depends on how this if it does happen come thru.  Can be done by Cruise lines, the Gov etc.  Its only a proposal at this point.  Dont get worked up for something that has not happened.  But I agree if Dr. says no then full credit given back to CC.  

 I'm not getting "worked up". Doesn't impact me. I was responding to another concerned customer who would be impacted by this potential change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WonderMan3 said:

 I'm not getting "worked up". Doesn't impact me. I was responding to another concerned customer who would be impacted by this potential change.

Sorry was not implying you or anyone in general was addressing the broader audience overall.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I wish this thread had been titled that you “might “need a Doctor’s note,

or possibly need a note, or could need a note or anything other than the definitive “over 70 passengers need a note”.  This is how rumors get started.

Related... Last fall we had to cancel a cruise, since my dear wife

was in an auto accident with broken bones and more.

Her Doctor would NOT sign a release for her to cruise.

Instead, he signed insurance papers, and we got our money back.

My point is, better to get a professional opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is time that Celebrity gives cash refund for customers who are over 80 My husband is 93 & I am 82. What use is FCC.

Now the canadian govt has a travel advisory for cruiselines. I am going to cancel but waiting to see if they cancel our April 25th Infinity crossing and if they give cash refund.

OntarioCruiser

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ontario Cruiser said:

It is time that Celebrity gives cash refund for customers who are over 80 My husband is 93 & I am 82. What use is FCC.

Now the canadian govt has a travel advisory for cruiselines. I am going to cancel but waiting to see if they cancel our April 25th Infinity crossing and if they give cash refund.

OntarioCruiser

The industry is already being tremendously generous in their cancellation policies. They are about to be hit hard and have their own people to worry about. It is too bad that things are not going to pan out for you but the line does not owe you anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dennism said:

The industry is already being tremendously generous in their cancellation policies. They are about to be hit hard and have their own people to worry about. It is too bad that things are not going to pan out for you but the line does not owe you anything. 

The “industry” has its own insurance, 

or, at least they should have.

They will lose nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I say sorry to all elderly people but I think its a good thing and uts good news in general. I would also add kids under 16 into this category. In the current situation its better to be on the safe side. And I am not talking about the virus and stuff. In general, people who are 65+ have to be sure that their heart wont stop in the plane or on the ship. They should be first to care about it. In any case I am sure to get such a note wont take too much time

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Celebrity already has my money for my April and May cruises.  If I am barred from going because of a stupid rule like this, they had better refund my money to my credit card!  I do not need a $10,000 future cruise credit.  This is age discrimination, pure and simple.

Personally I agree. There are many people who are older that are in better health than people in their 40’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband is over 70 and visited his doctor today.   He will get a full physical with blood work before we cruise.   The doctor says he has no problems with a medical note stating hubby was healthy (no lung, or heart problems and no diabetes) before the cruise.   This note will not assure that he would not get sick on the cruise but just that he was healthy and had no underlying health problems.   We were also asked if we had traveled overseas in the last 60 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Why shame? Self-insuring is a very common business practice.

Then it would be shame on us when they claim bankruptcy; a very common business practice.😎

Edited by $hip$hape
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OuiOnboard said:

There were reports that V P Pence had told the cruise lines CEO's (CLIA) that they need to come up with a strategy/protocols such that the industry would not require shut down.

Heard the same.  Cruise lines are desperately grasping at straws to avoid being shut down.  This pandemic will strain the resources of healthcare systems worldwide.   Until recently the largest outbreak outside China was aboard the Diamond Princess.  Governments will not tolerate additional cruise share outbreaks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

Personally I agree. There are many people who are older that are in better health than people in their 40’s.

Absolutely.

 

Emerging evidence suggests that the mortality rate from COVID-19 is higher for women than men, but can you imagine the outcry if they were to suggest that women needed a doctor's note to board? Ageism is a growing societal problem that largely goes unnoticed by those not affected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I say sorry to all elderly people but I think its a good thing and uts good news in general. I would also add kids under 16 into this category. In the current situation its better to be on the safe side. And I am not talking about the virus and stuff. In general, people who are 65+ have to be sure that their heart wont stop in the plane or on the ship. They should be first to care about it. In any case I am sure to get such a note wont take too much time

Really!  People over 65 have to make sure their heart won’t stop, unfortunately heart attacks happen at every age.   My doctor was on a plane last month when a man in his early 40s had a heart attack. A friend died of a heart attack last year at 49, perfectly healthy.   
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Absolutely.

 

Emerging evidence suggests that the mortality rate from COVID-19 is higher for women than men, but can you imagine the outcry if they were to suggest that women needed a doctor's note to board? Ageism is a growing societal problem that largely goes unnoticed by those not affected.

Check your source.

Mortality rate for men 2.8% and 1.7% for women.

Annie

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

Well, in looking at our currently scheduled cruise, Apex 13 April, most of the suites are booked, but there are vast openings in the various balcony cabin classes. So maybe the suite enhancements are working.

Wait until you get closer to sailing date.   We are on the 3/14 Equinox sailing two weeks ago all Suites and AQ were sold out.    Fast forward to yesterday -   1 PS, 5 RS, 6 CS and a ***** load of AQ and SS available.  

 

We were upgraded to a RS today on a move up bid and just looked and still lot of suites available.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, anniegb said:

Check your source.

Mortality rate for men 2.8% and 1.7% for women.

Annie

Annie, thanks for the catch, I inadvertently reversed genders. Still, the issue is the same, requiring men and not women to prove that they are healthy would never be acceptable.

 

This was my primary source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30526-2/fulltext

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case I left my Doctor a message today (I just turned 70 and was in for a Physical last week).  Being in perfect health he had no problem sending me an authorization letter just in case I need it on one of my B2B2B cruises starting 3/14.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Annie, thanks for the catch, I inadvertently reversed genders. Still, the issue is the same, requiring men and not women to prove that they are healthy would never be acceptable.

 

This was my primary source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30526-2/fulltext

No worries.

 

My source:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

 

FWIW I wish the media would highlight that yes there have been over 126,000 cases but less than 55,000 cases are current.  The balance are closed cases.

 

Annie

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As of yet nothing has transpired. My only thought it would be a cruise line liability issue for allowing passengers to board with underlying health issues if they became ill. We have  three cruises this  year,  late May and two in the fall.  So we will wait and hope for the best. We are going.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Really!  People over 65 have to make sure their heart won’t stop, unfortunately heart attacks happen at every age.   My doctor was on a plane last month when a man in his early 40s had a heart attack. A friend died of a heart attack last year at 49, perfectly healthy.   
 

+1
My cousins were 17 and 30 when they had their heart attacks. Our mutual grandmother lived until 4 days shy of her 94th birthday.

 

Sure, the risk for many health problems increases with age, but the idea that, "In general, people who are 65+ have to be sure that their heart won't stop" is alarmist. 

Pro-Tip: it's a good idea for everyone not to have their heart stop. Also, most people, even those over 65 (GASP!) don't need to spend their time making sure that doesn't happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Host Kat changed the title to Yikes! Over age 70 passengers need doctor’s note (Merged threads)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...