Questions about blogging platforms and apps

Denali75

I started a cruise and travel blog on Blogger. (Blogcrastinator.blogspot.com). When I travel,  I bring my iPad. Due to limited internet access while cruising, I found that it was much better to compose my blog offline, then post it online when it was finished. I found an app for Blogger that worked well on my iPad and enabled me to blog offline. After a few years, I was notified that the app would no longer be supported.

I hunted for a new app, and I found one for Wordpress. I moved my blog to Wordpress (Travelingblogcrastinator.wordpress.com). After a while I was notified that I had used up most of my storage space and last year I ended up upgrading (i.e., paying) to get more storage space. I also started using an app to downsize my photos before uploading them to my blog. I am starting to fill up my additional storage on Wordpress and I would like to download and save my old blog posts.

So, here are my questions:

1. What apps can be used with Blogger or Wordpress to work off-line? (There are several listed in the app store that have poor reviews. I want to know about apps you have used and liked.)

2. Are there any other blogging platforms that allow off-line drafting or have a good app that allows it?

3. Can you recommend something for downloading or exporting old blog posts? I have tried Blogbooker, but so far, I haven't been able to figure out how to download/export my older posts.

Re question #2: I have multiple Blogger blogs, but as our travels became more and more extensive, I found that I was unable to keep writing and stay current.  So, I am now using FindPenguins.  It's much simpler format wise, works on eDevices and also has a web platform.  I can write offline and post when I have internet.  I opted for the Premium membership ... which allows me to post 10 photos + 2 videos per "footprint" and also I can get a pdf of my "trip."  I still prefer my blogger blog, but if it's a choice between writing and not writing, FindPenguins solved the problem for me.

Here's a link to my current trip so you can get an idea of what it's like.  You may have to download the app, but it is free to set up an account.  https://findpenguins.com/8pccjefaitoru/trip/overseas-2020

On 3/16/2020 at 3:17 AM, 2552phxcrzr said:

Re question #2: I have multiple Blogger blogs, but as our travels became more and more extensive, I found that I was unable to keep writing and stay current.  So, I am now using FindPenguins.  It's much simpler format wise, works on eDevices and also has a web platform.  I can write offline and post when I have internet.  I opted for the Premium membership ... which allows me to post 10 photos + 2 videos per "footprint" and also I can get a pdf of my "trip."  I still prefer my blogger blog, but if it's a choice between writing and not writing, FindPenguins solved the problem for me.

Here's a link to my current trip so you can get an idea of what it's like.  You may have to download the app, but it is free to set up an account.  https://findpenguins.com/8pccjefaitoru/trip/overseas-2020

Thank you for the information. It's so helpful to hear about some of the other platforms that are out there, and it is especially helpful to hear from people who have actually used them. When you said " . . . if it's a choice between writing and not writing" I started to think about it differently. Maybe I am not looking for the perfect blog platform that let's me do everything I can do online at home. Maybe I am really looking for a platform that just makes it easy to write SOMETHING while I am traveling. I will definitely try it.

1 hour ago, Denali75 said:

Thank you for the information. It's so helpful to hear about some of the other platforms that are out there, and it is especially helpful to hear from people who have actually used them. When you said " . . . if it's a choice between writing and not writing" I started to think about it differently. Maybe I am not looking for the perfect blog platform that let's me do everything I can do online at home. Maybe I am really looking for a platform that just makes it easy to write SOMETHING while I am traveling. I will definitely try it.

Exactly ... because of it’s format where you write the text and add the photos, which all show up at the end, I am not fiddling around to get the post to “look pretty.”  Makes all the difference.  If you look at the current trip I linked above, you’ll see that I posted multiple times on some days.  I could have written a single post, adding snippets all day long as time permitted, but it’s so easy to write and post that I went the multiple posts route.

Some of the other things I like ... I can set trips to be private, public, or followers ... and share links accordingly.  And even within a trip, I can set posts to different settings easily enough.  For this trip I turned on the tracker, so it was easy to associate the posts I wrote offline with various waypoints when it came time to upload them.

If you decide to use FindPenguins ... or if you opt to continue with Blogger (which I really like, by the way ... much easier to use than Wordpress IMHO), do share the link.  I enjoy reading the travels of others ... probably more so during this pandemic where armchair traveling may be the only option open to us.